Model Cars Magazine Forum

Showboat Redux / Quarter Master...Update 11/23/13

Hi again All. Got some wiring done. To give you an idea of how fast it goes together once the magnetos are built, it takes about 15 minutes per engine to install it.

The boots were made using 1/16" heat shrink tubing. The pieces started at just under 1/2" long and were then trimmed to identical length. It was done this way due to mold ejector pins in the bottom of the heads.

I used 26 gauge Radio Shack wire to give it some depth and feel of overly largeness. Normally, I'd go 30 gauge, but it's too thin. 28 would probably be perfect.

I cut the appropriate number of wires, stripped, bundled and soldered. Trimmed the soldered ends, then used plastic tubing sleeves to connect wiring and shaft together, then added an aluminum sleeve.

I'm going with the "John Teresi School of Modeling" to come up with top caps. I went to a Party and Costume store and found some confetti that has some round blue metallic bits that should be perfect for the cap. Just have to drill a hole in the center, make a small split gap, rough up the surface to be glued and we'll be good to go. I'll show those in the next update.

Back to frame work next. I think........

0031.jpg0032.jpg0033.jpg0034.jpg

Thanx Brad, it's easier than it looks. No, wait, that's not right.........

Appreciate you checking in Kerry. Been watching yours too. Great stuff.

Waaaaaayne !!!!!! How are you? You coming to Hobbytown this October? Not sure of the date. I'll find out tomorrow. I'm bringing the 55 Chrysler AWB. Hopefully it will turn a head or two.

This isn't where I've been hiding. That's where the nice men who come in to make sure my jacket is tight and I get all of my happy pills.

Got the headers and breathers installed today. Now comes the scarey part. Mating up the inboard headers. I think I've got a fight on my hands.

Wayne, it's Saturday October 26th, entries from 11 am to 1 pm. I look forward to seeing you there.

Speaking of seeing things, all 4 engines are glued together and I did not need to scream or yell or cry at all. There was a small gasp when I heard a slight stress noise. Pictures tomorrow.

Late as usual with update pics. Decided to do some work on the nose first. Still plenty to do.

Mating up the engines was a bit of a task and the headers still need some final adjustment, but I'm overall very pleased.

I have blower hats and P/E throttle linkage on the way. Won't install those until late in the build, I think.

0039.jpg0038.jpg0037.jpg0036.jpg0035.jpg

Thanks everybody. Yeah, it's been a while since I updated. Been building motor mounts and trying to figure how I'm going to narrow, then mount the front axle. No room for errors here. Steering linkage clearance is an issue as well.

I'm also working out transmission mounting, as it will more than likely require an offset.

So, I'm going back to work on it today and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again for keeping an eye on it. I appreciate y'all.

So, what's been going on? Eliminated the need for transmission offset and sticking with the original Showboat set up, which I believe is direct drive. I was able to narrow the front axle in a manner that eliminated offset. So, now I need to make some really short driveshafts. I did get some tranny mounts fabricated.

Another thing that was troublesome was the engine to axle height. Solved that by lowering the upper frame rails. When you think of it, it actually makes sense to double up the frame in what I am now calling the engine cradle.

Lastly, I trimmed the inner headers, but haven't done touch up paint yet.

So, feast your eyes with some eye candy and we'll do this again soon.

Thanx for all of the positive comments.

0041.jpg0042.jpg0043.jpg0040.jpg0044.jpg0045.jpg0046.jpg

What a monster !!!

What He Said B) !

It sure is coming along nicely, I'm liking it more and more after each update. Those engines look very good on place and I like your detail painting a lot. Very Nice, Wild and Clean building, keep it coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all. Sorry I haven't updated in a while. I've been mostly working on engine / frame fitment issues. Also building lot's of little goodies like an Optima battery, electronics box, tranny's, Mallory Ignition stuff and whatnot.

I did receive the blower hats from Competition Resins. They're beauties.

I have a contest tomorrow at Hobbytown, so I hope to have some pics by Sunday.

Hang in there folks.

I absolutely love it and I'm impressed by your commitment with the headers. I The plug wires are too big, which wouldn't matter if the rest of the model wasn't so good. But I really don't think don't they spoil the overall effect and I can't wait to see more progress, sorry if I sounded mean in my inital post!

Edited by DonW

Overdue for an update, so we'll make it a big one.

Picture number 1: Fuel and oil tanks, drive shafts minus their middle section, an Optima battery, the electronics box, rear engine mounts (erroneously called them trans mounts earlier), dual gas pedals and starters with wiring.

Number 2: 4 Mallory ignition boxes, fuel pump body (it only LOOKS like a drive shaft), nut and bolts for tranny linkage, and the trannys themselves. One is longer because only one needs a reverser.

Number 3: Front axle mounts and fuel / oil cell mounting plate.

Number 4: Sunken double rail frame section with motor mounts and cross members installed.

Want to make a note concerning the presence of a battery with four magnetos. The fuel management system, including the pump, will be electronic. It was either that or four fuel pumps.

Thanx for looking and putting up with my delays.

0047.jpg0048.jpg0049.jpg0050.jpg

Great progress and update Joe. You got it going on. Looking forward to your body work and paint. Got something wild in mind?

Do you know if these had actual steering? They must have but in all of the pictures of Tommy Ivo's and others, I haven't seen any steering knuckles or anything resembling steering mechanisms. Maybe they guided the vhicle by applying the brakes on one side although that just doesn't seem practical at all.

Edited by gasser59

Good question Brad. The front axle does have something akin to constant velocity joints and is steerable. Later I will install the tie rod, but I have to make a modification due to the thickness of the axle mounts.

I understand where the question came from because my U.S. Dart model, a wheelstander, has a pair of steering brakes for the rear axle.

As for the paint, nothing too far wild but wait until you see the graphics for the name. Wowza!!!!!

Thanx for your interest and the opportunity to show off an old build.

Gallileo037.jpgGallileo053.jpg

IMAG0030-1.jpg

Edited by Nitrozilla