Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stepping On Toes (not your feet either)

Hey Jim, everyone has issues with family. Back in the day I'd always offer to help my father in law. He was a nice man, eventually handicapped and in a wheel chair and I'd do anything for him. I didn't have my brother in laws trying to do the work because none of them are handy enough to do a project. There would be jobs I'd offer to do, I'd show up on Saturday with the tools and material to find out he hired a professional during the week. He'd say he didn't want to bother me, but I think he was just impatient and wanted it done that day. It would tick me off to no end because he'd spend money he didn't have and get crummy results. Like the 'professional' who wallpapered a room for him and didn't match the pattern anywhere! Argh!

So who knows... maybe you do so much for your inlaws since you are close, your mother in law felt that one of the others could pitch in this time. Or the guy said he didn't have time, then his wife leaned on him that he was going to do this for her father!

In the end, if these folks were friends you may never call them again. But they are family and you'll be knowing them a long time, so you just got to forget it to get along!

You know, you nailed it all on the head. I also understand your whole out come also. Thank you

I'm just glad my in-law got want he needed.

I think you and mum in law just embaressed the others to do it . Good work mate you got someone else to do it , how does it feel to control people ? I just love it when i get people to do what i want . Keep up the great work . B)

Edited by scummy

Want to talk about real problems wait until they both pass away and their belongings are divied up, that's when it will get real interesting, when my wife's parents both fianally passed the estate was settled and it split five siblings, a total horror story, it's been 6 yrs and they have not spoken a word to each other, so don't let something as trivial as this ruin your relationships!!! :(

Want to talk about real problems wait until they both pass away and their belongings are divied up, that's when it will get real interesting, when my wife's parents both fianally passed the estate was settled and it split five siblings, a total horror story, it's been 6 yrs and they have not spoken a word to each other, so don't let something as trivial as this ruin your relationships!!! :(

Oh yer , you have seen nuthin yet till this happens ! I've seen familys that you thought wow wish my family was this close and then the stuff hits the fan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Johnny

Jim, it sounds like my wife's family. Her dad at 80 had to cut back on mowing and painting houses and can no longer afford to keep his duplex.

No one else seemed to want to help. We helped pay some of his bills but with my wife and I on fixed incomes we were cutting our selves short helping him. But no big deal.

Well we decided my model room here in the trailer could revert back to a bed room and we would let him move in here.

Now her sister has one of her daughters building a studio apartment in her basement to move their dad into and the other kids all pitched in to pay for it.

What happened here is just like what you have, they were either shamed into helping or just plain felt guilty that they weren't doing it and an in-law was!

At least he got what he needed and if you had not made the offer first it may never have happened at all!

Guest Johnny

Or it could be like in my family... my folks had the nerve to die on me! I'd be happy to have a bit of an argument!

I hear ya there Tom! Wife's niece had brain surgery today and we didn't hear until she was 4 or 5 hours out of recovery!

The last three uncles or aunts I have lost didn't hear about it for a year or more one was three years!

But keep losing family at an ever accelerated rate! Guess the price we pay for getting older.