Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Ronnie Sox Impala

jjsipes

I believe this is a first for me to post progress build. Here is a project that I started in between taking care of my 7 month old daughter, work and the honey do list. A few years back I purchased the decals for this car from Model Car World and there resin Impala body but since Revell has brought out there '62 Impala, it takes away some of the work.

I have painted the body with Testors Model Master Lacquer, Bare-Metal trim and them sprayed a good coat of Tamiya Clear over it all. I have sprayed the interior red but it had to much gloss to it so I use Testors Dull-cote but it has dulled it to much. I have purchased a set of Salt Flat Discs from Parts by Parks (I have 14" and 15" to see which ones fit the wheels and tires better). I am looking forward to getting more finished on this to add to my Sox & Martin collection.

Would anybody have any other pictures of this car, would like to have more reference if possible?

0802111705.jpg

0802111705a.jpg

0803111055.jpg

0803111058.jpg

0803111106.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Edited by jjsipes

Easy there, Ronnie was the man in Mopars!!!!!!!! By the way it was Plymouths. I know just kiddin, he was great in everything he drove from Chevies to the Mercury Comet in '64 to finally Plymouths in '65. Although he would return to the Ford camp ('89ish T-Bird and '64 Promod Comet) and Chevy camp ('84 Camaro Prostock) later in his career but ultimately he would return to Mopar.

Thanks black is hard to get to look good, hope I don't mess it up.

The top pic shows salt flat discs and the bottom one shows steelies. It says he ran the discs then just went to steelies. I thought it would be cool and interesting to replicate with the discs.

Edited by jjsipes

I have sprayed the interior red but it had to much gloss to it so I use Testors Dull-cote but it has dulled it to much.

I brush on future as thin as possible over the dull cote to give the parts that I want to have a slight sheen to them. If you make the future go as far as it possibly can with a brush,it won't have much of a shine to it when it dries. The body looks great BTW.

Those are the only two Pics I have found of the car and I looked for a while I got a lot of info on the car from Larry Davis the author of "Super Stock" Drag Racing The Family Sedan about the car. For those interested those decals will be added to our website later this week. I wish you would have used our decals to build the car I would like to have used it on the website when its done. We have several other 62 Impala decals on the site now. Your build is going to be great the Paint and BMF work look fantastic so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Not a big update but, I got the salt flat discs epoxyed onto wheels the other night and dug out some tires that will fit the wheels. I don't know why Revell has to mold the rear wheels bigger than the fronts but they do. I wanted to use the same size wheels front and rear so I had to get into the parts boxes and find some tires that would work. I need to get the ride heght worked out as well now that I have my wheels and tires selected.

I have also been working slowly on the interior trying to get that completed.

I also ordered a set of the decals from Decals by Lucas to see what there quailty was like. Have never used any of theres so I am looking forawrd to receiving them. I may end up using the decals from Decals by Lucas instead of the ones I got from Model Car World a couple years ago. We will see.

Sorry I have no pics at this time. Will keep plugging along as my soon to be 9 month old daughter will let me.

I think it was more of a case of "just dumb luck" on the paint. But thanks guys for the comments on the great paint. I also had planned on doing Ronnie's ProMod Comet, in fact I just received the resin body from Bandit Resins but the body isn't correct for Ronnie's car so I don't know what I will do now for that.

• 3 years later...