Model Cars Magazine Forum

F4U-4 Corsair from the "All the Rest" Group Build

Thanks JT! You know this build was a complete nightmare for me but it was a good victory at the end because I didn't think I was going to be able to finish this thing at all. As a matter of fact it ended up in the trash can twice!!! Here's a couple of shots of the wing fit (which both wings gave me ALL the trouble)

Aputtytat002_zps7624eba0.jpg

and this "hinge hole" along with the nasty gap!

Winggaps_zpscf45fcef.jpg

and this stuff!!!

Starboardwingworkover006_zpsd27975fb.jpg

Here's the two of these I've built--and rebuilt.

This is either the one I built as a kid, or in the late '70s, I don't remember which one is which (the other one is the one I'm working on now). Rebuilt it in the late '80s or early '90s.

F4U4Monogram01.jpg

This one is the 1983 issue which introduced the 2-piece wheels and the full cockpit. I built this one when it was first (re)issued, but at that time I didn't believe MM Glossy Sea Blue was accurate and painted it with another shade of blue. Since then I decided that MM GSB IS accurate, so I stripped it, repainted it MM GSB to match the rest of my Corsairs and other USN builds, and applied new decals. The decals are from a different kit (Heller, I think maybe) but they're the same markings as in the 1983 Mono kit.

F4U4Monogram201.jpg

Edited by Snake45

Looks great! I'm just getting into building planes (working on a Monogram P-40B currently), so I appreciate the warning about this kit.

I'm not an expert on P-40s, especially the early ones, but I can tell you that there are many aircraft modelers who consider this the most accurate 1/48 early P-40 kit available, even after all these years.

Rich: I agree with you to a point in that I hold alot of the early Monogram 1/48 kits in fairly high regards when it comes to exterior detail, especially all the rivet detail. But what tha hell happened once we get into the cockpits???sSig_eeeek_zps60562610.gif lol

Jeremy:Thanks man. Have you started a WIP here on that P-40?

Rich: I agree with you to a point in that I hold alot of the early Monogram 1/48 kits in fairly high regards when it comes to exterior detail, especially all the rivet detail. But what tha hell happened once we get into the cockpits???sSig_eeeek_zps60562610.gif

All of the Monogram 1/48 kits tooled from about 1967 on--and I believe the P-40 falls into this category--have at least the basics of cockpits. The '83 reissue of your Corsair even had a usable one added. There's a LOT to rag on that kit about, and the cockpit is WAY down the list.

And truth to tell, I ain't a big cockpit guy. I've been known to assemble model airplanes with literal black holes for cockpits. They look great on the shelf from two feet out. And I'm not planning to shrink myself down, crawl in there, sit in the seat, and make airplane noises. :lol:

And I'm not planning to shrink myself down, crawl in there, sit in the seat, and make airplane noises. :lol:

LOL!! I think I do all of that except the last part..lol! In the case of our Corsairs here , there's just no way to open up the canopy without a major overhaul and this being a Christmas gift and me only having a limited amount of time all I did was paint it, weather it and add a set of colored PE seat belts. For cockpits that I can open up I try to go all out. For instance, I ended up taking the Monogram SBD Dauntless up a notch with a Hasegawa cockpit and some scratch built items to add some pizzaz to it. I just couldn't leave one of the greats with the sliding canopy open and the gunners area all opened up with a blank slate inside. Both of us being old Monogram kit fans, you know the one I'm talking about.

Monograms SBD cockpit outta the box:

SBDCockpitbuild002.jpg

and here's after the upgrades. All I had for seat belts were the dang PE buckles from a Tom's Modelworks set. I used lead foil for the belts and routed them through the buckles. I think this was the beginning of the end for my eyesight. lol

CockpitDetails003_zps84c7f09b-1.jpg

It all seemed to fit like it was made for it (although I did have to shave the legs on the gunners platform down a bit so the seat would clear the flooring). My only regret is that I wasn't as controlled with my washes yet in 2013 and it shows on stuff like the rear gunners ammo box. I've since worked this problem out though. Most everything in here is from the Hasegawa SBD-4 kit and fits just near perfect.

SBDcockpitcompletion_zpsc0c20c17.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

...I'm not planning to shrink myself down, crawl in there, sit in the seat, and make airplane noises. :lol:

That's hilarious! :lol: And perfect timing. I needed a good laugh after the drive into work this morning. Icy roads and blowing snow!

Joe: I probably won't do a WIP on this one. I want to see if I can even pull it off to my satisfaction or not at this point. This is new territory for me. But if I can make it look half as nice as your Corsair, I'll be happy.

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread. I get sidetracked pretty... LOOK! A BUTTERFLY!!

I'll happily assemble and paint whatever cockpit comes in the kit box but my days of spending ANY extra time, money, or effort in cockpit (or wheel well) detailing are over. There are other areas of a model airplane that are more important to me. For example, I'll take whatever time is necessary to blend the windscreen into the fuselage on something like an F-86, or sand and polish off inaccurate or two-thick canopy frames--things like that. I've also been known to almost completely re-engineer a whole kit if necessary to get the right dihedral on the wings.

I'll happily assemble and paint whatever cockpit comes in the kit box but my days of spending ANY extra time, money, or effort in cockpit (or wheel well) detailing are over. There are other areas of a model airplane that are more important to me. For example, I'll take whatever time is necessary to blend the windscreen into the fuselage on something like an F-86, or sand and polish off inaccurate or two-thick canopy frames--things like that. I've also been known to almost completely re-engineer a whole kit if necessary to get the right dihedral on the wings.

No argument with all that at all there Rich! When we boil it all down to the "nitty gritty" it's all modeling and we all seem to have fun doing that pal. We're all among friends here. :D

The airplane sounds thing is still cracking me up! "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeoooooooooooooooooooowww!!" LOL

Edited by mustang1989