Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 lx mustang street car finished! 8/1/14

I think the stance looks good; it has an old-school street machine attitude. Some might not like it because it isn't 100% prototypical of today's drag cars. The cage came out nice. Being a purist, I would stick with Ford power, but it's your model and you can do it however you want. That's what it's all about.

I really need to pick me up some evergreen... I cant believe I've not made a roll cage for anything yet. This must me rectified!

Good work!

Thank you, It's extremely easy and the rod is pretty affordable

8.5..... what can you do with an 8.5 that you cant do with, say a 19.5!!!

nice build so far, put a chevy in it, yea, I think you would ruffle some feathers with that one. keep pushing thru this Ford build Mr. Chevy, it's coming out nice.

Thank you Al, maybe after this one I'll pull a mopar out of the stash, dust the cobwebs off and put it together :) Edited by Dragfreak

Very nice work Jason, the cage looks really good.

Thank you Jonathan!

I think the stance looks good; it has an old-school street machine attitude. Some might not like it because it isn't 100% prototypical of today's drag cars. The cage came out nice. Being a purist, I would stick with Ford power, but it's your model and you can do it however you want. That's what it's all about.

Thanks john, I'll see what I can do with the stance, and I'm thinking a change of wheels, they just don't fit the look of the car

That looks really good. I like the cage and I think the wheels and tires look good, too. This will be an interesting project for sure, as you do very good work as your Hemi Cuda proves. I can't wait for more.

Here's a little inspiration from Finland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCrR9onblK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKdJ9MYl7OE

Thanks niko and Stan! The Idea of a Chevy engine is pretty much out of the window with no exhaust option, I got the sub frame connectors in and a drive shaft loop, also started some more chassis and cage work,

B1644E22-7380-4144-984A-549A27242CB5_zps

8089F09F-52F2-402B-9201-F1564B4BAC7B_zps

Edited by Dragfreak

It looks great, so far. It will look awesome, in red. As for the stance, I like seeing some ground clearance, under this type of car. It would have some suspension travel, compared to about none, with a racing front strut suspension. This one won't crush the headers or rip holes, in the oil pan. The cage tubes are a little large. A .040 diameter, works out to 2". I use .060, that works out to 1.5". That's closer to the 1 5/8" tubing, for an NHRA spec cage. But you know how I am, about things being too big, in scale.

It looks great, so far. It will look awesome, in red. As for the stance, I like seeing some ground clearance, under this type of car. It would have some suspension travel, compared to about none, with a racing front strut suspension. This one won't crush the headers or rip holes, in the oil pan. The cage tubes are a little large. A .040 diameter, works out to 2". I use .060, that works out to 1.5". That's closer to the 1 5/8" tubing, for an NHRA spec cage. But you know how I am, about things being too big, in scale.

So the .040 rod that I have is much smaller than .060 rod, so if .040 is smaller in scale how can it work out to be a 2" bar which is bigger than a 1.5" that a larger in scale .060 rod? I hope I'm making some sense to you, I feel pretty dumb right now being a 15 year old algebra 2 student that doesn't understand this. You didn't by any chance mean that an .080 rod comes out to about 2" bar and a .060" rod comes out to 1.5"? Edited by Dragfreak

I think Jeff was thinking along the same line I was.. the rod you are using is just a touch too big... It still looks great.. dont get me wrong... I use evergreen #222 for my cages, chassis etc. which is .062 and it works great..... I love what you are doing to this build.... but next time you get a chance try the .062 and I think you'll like it..

My bad. This is what happens when an old guy, like me, goes up against a young guy, who knows his math. Of course, I meant the .080 rod. Boy is my face red.

When I was 15, i couldn't build as well as you. You've got talent. Don't quit building, like a lot of us did, when we were your age.

It only looks small because model manufacturers have always made them huge. Probably has to do with not being able to inject them well (short shots) or warping. They seem to have gotten better at them. Kits from the 60's & 70's had optional roll bars, that looked like sewer pipe.

I'll definatey have to get my hands on some smaller rod as I always try to be as realistic as possible. While I have a lot of drag racing knowledge, I don't know a whole lot about cage rules, I have an NHRA rule book from '09 that we used for updating the chassis on my junior dragster but I can't seem to find it to look up cage specs. I want to know is something like this required? I finished the door bars and I still need to do a dash bar. I don't think I need to do a sill bar as it still has original floors so I think I'm almost done. If you guys see anything I'm missing and should add, I'd love to get some feedback on it.

103ED9DB-A507-479F-83B1-D8F82CF739D3_zps

Edited by Dragfreak

I feel pretty dumb right now being a 15 year old algebra 2 student that doesn't understand this.

Jason, you have absolutely NOTHING to be ashamed about regarding this model or your skills. Frankly, looking at the fabrication and clean building style that you're displaying in this thread, I would have guessed you were a middle aged guy if you hadn't stated that you were only 15. When I was 15, I was only beginning to step beyond box stock by swapping wheels between kits, nothing like what you're doing here.