Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jairus- How about that race plane CPB?

LDO

Jeff, better cut off that gun! :)

No unfair advantages regarding removal of the competition!

Aw, but that takes the fun out of it!! What's the fun of a warbird if you can't shoot something!

I'm just kidding, of course, and on the serious side, this is looking interesting. I have about four other Community Builds going on right now, but I think I just might see what I have on the shelves. I'm not much of an aircraft modeler, but the major modifications I have going on with the others, this just might be a nice break.

I'm definately in on this as well. I am currently trying to weed through the best options that I have onhand to use. Most of my WWII kits are radial and wouldn't be the best choice for an air racer. I'm trying to figure out the best inline kit that I have.

Yeah, building these things with the intent of polishing the paint does require some planning ahead. The P-51 gets the exhaust stacks glued on before the fuselage halves get glued together. If I do that, polishing around the exhaust would be tough at best. What I did was cut the nose open. That way I can use tweezers to install the exhausts through the nose. The hole will then be covered by the prop spinner.

I'm glad to see someone else getting started on this build. I was beginning to think Jairus and I would be the only ones building a race plane. Others have expressed interest here and in the Chat room, but have not started building. Any ideas on what you'll do for paint?

Yes, pre-planning is a big one on something like this...I once did an F1 car that required the same...cockpit in before smoothing seams! Not sure yet on paint, maybe polished aluminum, or a bright eye-catching color.

Jeff, better cut off that gun! B)

No unfair advantages regarding removal of the competition!

No guns? What fun is that? ;)

Hey all, I can sign off the airworthiness on these when finished, I'm an A&P mechanic! ;)

I've got two lined up for this. First is a 1/72 scale Spitfire. It's a rather crude resin kit from overseas that I could never forsee doing anything with until this idea. The second, although not the best choice for an air racer, is a Revell 1/48 scale P47D Thunderbolt. I have some really cool graphics planned for both. I will have pics. of the Spitfire sometime on Sunday.

I'm glad to see someone else getting started on this build. I was beginning to think Jairus and I would be the only ones building a race plane. Others have expressed interest here and in the Chat room, but have not started building.

If I didn't have such a full plate right now, I'd be all over this! Beautiful work so far, guys, keep it up!

I did some work to the P51D kit I have yesterday- smoothing seams, removing raised panel lines, cleaning stuff up, clipped the wings slightly. I toyed with an old F16 canopy, but I think I'll just use the stock P51D bubble canopy. If this was a more detailed kit, I think I'd be more motivated to put more work into it. Not sure on a paint scheme, but I've got colors in my head.

Wow, I just poured through all the posts in this thread and I am feeling a bit confused. Sorry about my thick-skullery, folks.

J, what is it that we could do with this? Can I build a car influenced by WWII fighter planes? The way Hollywood Jim does here?

IMG_2927-vi.jpg

IMG_2946-vi.jpg

Or do we have to build only the plane?

Or can we build the plane and the matching car?

I am really interested in this, and I apologize for not getting the basic premise of what the CPB calls for.

Wow, I just poured through all the posts in this thread and I am feeling a bit confused. Sorry about my thick-skullery, folks.

J, what is it that we could do with this? Can I build a car influenced by WWII fighter planes? The way Hollywood Jim does here?

Sorry V, but this is about aircraft only.

However, it is about taking pictures so if you want to build a full ground crew with vehicles... Italeri does make quite a few 1/48th scale vehicles and ground crew that you could "modify" to your liking.

The premis is take any scale model of a WW2 aircraft like this P-51 Mustang....

p51-vi.jpg

And turn it into a full tilt Reno Air Racer! Like this...

PreciousMetal-vi.jpg

Paint it any color and scheme. Take a few pictures and post the build up. By summers end we will each post three pictures in a voting thread and let the forum decide.

The above is called "Precious Metal" and runs a highly modified Rolls Royce Merlin with countra rotating propellors. The cockpit has been cut down and the lower radiator heavily modified for lower drag.

ious_metal_2004_color_profiles-vi.jpg

Mostly it is just a curbside contest to get peoples minds off cars and into the purity of modeling and painting. Beause it is all about the paint with this one!

:D

Edited by Jairus

Did it fight in WW2?

I guess since it says on the box that Jimmie Doolittle flew it to a record in 1932, I guess not. Doolittle did, though, does that count? :huh::blink::blink: I guess my search continues. ;)

Starting with a vintage 1973 Monogram FW 190 I received via eBay yesterday, I got off to an auspicious start...

P1010033-vi.jpg

The two motors are under consideration as power to spin the prop. The large one is a smooth 5.9v capstan drive for a cassette tape player. The smaller, narrower one is a drive unit used to eject CD's from a CD rom drive. The large one fits the cowling perfect with a minimum amount of trouble.

(sorry for the poor photo... I still have not gotten my photo studio set up.)

Still trying to figure out how to get the landing gear to go up and down for my "on the ground" and "wheels up" photo shoots.

Onward and upward! :)

Have some good ol' Australian genius:

Rod Hadfield's Merlin V12 equipped 55 Chev. It was road registered at one stage...

final10b.jpg

hotrod.jpg

I think 3000hp was the stated output.

This gentleman has built some amazing cars- one debuted last year at Summernats (big Aussie show) powered by an old Tank engine. Google the Warman Special if you are interested.

I ran out and bought a Mustang PD4 or something like that in 1/48th scale. We'll see what happens.

I think the more discussion about color and graphic patterns the more I am going to get out of this thread, not to mention the impending eye-candy storm that's surging! :D

Virgil, that is what I am hoping is the final outcome! It's not so much about perfect wiring or weathering or wheels... it's all about paint and color!

Flash and Dash!

(hmm... I like that name?)

At any rate, here is the German contingent so far.

P1010034-vi.jpg

Got the motor mounted to the cowling. Once I get wires soldered to the terminals I will install it permanently. The prop will sit on the shaft with a tight fit and then I can go and make a larger spinner to close up the air intake.

The motor is a "Falcon 5" slot car motor. These motors are $9.99 throw away powerplants. They are only used for two races before needing to be replaced.

However as a propeller drive... it is very high in the RPM range. I bet even a digital camera cannot stop it.

Don't know how far along everybody is but...........In the interest of more entries and a real fun experience, might I suggest two categories?

One being what most of the early post-war unlimiteds were and that being stock airframe surplus fighter planes with race paint jobs. Easy to build and your imagination is the limit on markings. Sort of like the early Nascar racers when they were mostly stock appearing with even the chrome trim and all the seats. Quick and dirty builds with the emphasis on the fancy paint jobs.

Group 2 could be the fighter based but highly modified planes like the Red Baron, Super Corsair and Stiletto from the seventies to the present day. That way everyone could have a go at it within their comfort range and it would still be fun and not restrictive to the ones who wanted to build the later racers.

Just an idea born of watching those creative rule benders (is it stock? of course it is, I just spent $20,000 and two months making it stock)that race the stock cars for more years than I care to admit. What do ya'll think?

There is NO requirement to having a spinning prop!

I just WANTED it for real, and of course Photoshop and other options (cut the darned blades off altogether and say it is spinning) are always available!

As for two classes... I really didn't see much difference in your "class structure" other than one is simply a painted unmodified Warbird and the other a modified and painted Warbird. Not enough of a difference to constitute the complication of another class in my opinion.

Didn't mean to muddy up the waters. I guess what you're saying is that a "Miss America" P-51D has as much chance of winning as a Red Baron RB-51 since neither have to move, just look good? I was thinking of a showroom stock '49 Merc competing with a chopped Carson topped lead sled in the same class. Guess it doesn't matter with aircraft, huh?