Model Cars Magazine Forum

seeking 65 and 67 Chevy Van Hubcaps/donor parts

Does anyone here know of a kit that has something like these, maybe a pickup truck kit? I just got ahold of all the info needed to scratchbuild then mold and cast both the 65 and 67 chevy vans and am looking for donor parts for the Chassis/drivetrain, engine/trans. from an existing kit. The 65's had a 194 CI Straight Six with a Warner 3-speed manual and the 67's a 230 CI Straight Six. Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Thank you!

Photos are added for reference only

post-13012-0-87276900-1395093603_thumb.j

The straight six in the AMT '60 Chevy pickup kits would probably be the closest, and best, engine/trans donor. You could probably use the 10-bolt rearend from the '60 Chevy, too, though you'd need to source parallel leaf spring elsewhere.

The IMC/Lindberg Little Red Wagon Dodge A-100 pickup is the only cab-forward van/pickup kit besides the 1/40(?) scale Mini Lindy Chevy Van, so you might be able to source a few things (front suspension) from it, but the level of detail isn't stellar.

You could look at the AMT 57 cameo kit,it has a straight front axle,that is very similar to what these vans would have had.also the frame and the running gear in the kit is similar to a van ?,the kit has the 265 V8,it has the ram horn manifolds,i think some of the later vans had V8 power?.Another kit is the AMT 50 chevy 3100 it has a straight 6 in it.it is a older motor then the van ones,but could be made to look the same.Harvey

This is going to be a big project

I assume you've been to VCVC.org and Vintage-vans.com ? Lots of specific info an help for the early '64-'70 Chevy/GMC vans at those two 'sites. I would also suggest picking up a factory service manual on eBay, as it will be great reference material.

I've never seen those dog dish hubcaps in kit form, though.

Are you planning to make both long and short wheelbases?

Thanks for all the help Guys, much appreciated. I think I read somewhere about the Chevy II engine and brakes being used on the 65 and 66, just can't remember where. Guess I'll have to pick up a few kits on Ebay again, not a problem though. It's all worth the end result.

I'll be making the 65 as the short wheelbase and a 67 with a long wheelbase and might just throw a V-8 in that one! But, that won't be until this summer and my job at the local school is on summer break. But, in the meantime there's plenty of other Van stuff here that is just about ready for release in resin!

The six from the Trumpeter Chevy 2 would be the most accurate.

That is correct. Externally, there is little to no difference between the 194 or 230.

For the rear axle, the one from either the Trumpeter Nova or the AMT '66 Nova will be fine for the base model van, or any GM 12 bolt Passenger axle from a Chevelle/Camaro/El Camino/Revell Nova will work. In addition, the base model wheels were a 5 lug version of the 13" wheel found on the Nova, with a 14" wheel optional.

Thank you all very much for the information. These Chevys are going to be a lot easier than I originally thought, especially when there are so many donor parts available. Just yesterday I was going through my files and found more plans, to the 64-68 Econolines! Well, this summer is going to be interesting-

The hub caps on the van in the picture are from an early 80's S-10. The correct hub caps for the years you are wanting can be found in the revel-o-gram 1964 chevy fleetside pickup kit or some of the AMT chevy van kits.

The six from the Trumpeter Chevy 2 would be the most accurate. Anyone repop it in resin? I think some of the early 60's Chevelle kits had the six also, maybe the 64?

That is correct regarding the engine style. The 235 style engine that was used on the pre-63 GM cars and trucks was very much different in appearance to the '63 and up 250 and 292 six cylinders. I seem to recall some resin caster(s??) who offered the proper style engine for your van. The older 230/250 and truck 261 engines looked more bulky and heavy duty than the 230/250 and truck 292 engines. Didn't some Chevelle wagons come with the newer six cylinder as well????

They did put V8s in that style of van but I am not sure what year they starrted to do so. A friend of mine had one - I believe that it was a 1968 model, and it had a small block and an automatic transmission. Man, would that thing smoke the tires!!!

A first generation Econoline would be a cool kit as will the Chevy that you are wanting to cast. There were lots of both style of van around and many were used by contractors - electrical contractors especially in this area. I think that in some areas, they were also used as ambulances as well. Your ideas offer tons of possibilities for projects.. I hope that you follow through.

Edited by impcon

My first car was a 66 Sportvan with a 230 and a 3 on the tree. Somewhere I have the owners manuals as well as the protect-o-plate for it. The factory original hubcaps that were on mine are definitely the same as the ones in the Revell 64 Chevy C10 kit. Let us all know if you decide to cast it. Id be down to buy a few....

Actually, the hubcaps in an A M T "A -team " van are going to be really close . The 250 six is probably found by raiding a Trumpeter Nova . I think ken Kitchen also does a 1964- 78 Chevrolet 6 too. The front axle , uh the 55-57 Chevrolet Step side or cameo trucks , same on the rear . These vans were either a 90 inch wheelbase or, starting in 1967, the new 108 WB and a 307 V-8 option was made available . I used to manufacture aftermarket parts for these vans and yes, owned a couple in the day too.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't some Chevelle wagons come with the newer six cylinder as well????

The AMT '64 El Camino and Chevelle station wagon had the six-banger; there's a built-up wagon on eBay right now (wagon's a drag version, but the six is among all the leftover unbuilt parts):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-AMT-1964-Chevelle-Station-Wagon-Built-Model-Car-Kit-Box-/271448176630?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3f339277f6