Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why, in the name of God, did you mold the 1955 Chevy Stepside Street Machine model in dark purple?

I've put 3 coats of Tamiya fine surface white primer, and 2 coats of Tamiya racing white over it, and under the right light it STILL looks purple.

Time to buy another can of primer, and white...

MrObsessive recommends a barrier coat of Future to seal reds, notorious for bleed through.

Molding the kit in purple was probably one of those decisions made A) to appeal to the market segment that won't ever paint a model anyway, or B) because someone's brother-in-law had a hopper car full of purple styrene pellets for a real steal of a price.

Here's a link to a discussion of the problem...ZoomZoom at the bottom is Bob Downie, a well known builder, and frequent contributor to model mags.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t877996-bleeding_through_impossible_to_stop.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow, "AMT/Ertl" there's a name I haven't heard in a while... And purple plastic, yeah what were they thinking? Good thing the days of AMT/Ertl and Racing Champions/RC2 are long gone. Long live Round 2!!!

B-I-N sealer (available at home improvement stores) makes a good bleed-through stopper, but its spray nozzle sucks, so I decant it and thin it a little w/ Denatured Alcohol and airbrush it.

315c939a-1aab-4b32-8b91-130c085f44e9_300

Edited by Brett Barrow

In addition to what both Dave and Junior mentioned , Let me pass on a tip I learned years ago . In the event you decide to do a car in a Vibrant White , ALWAYS undercoat it with a coat of Silver underneath . The end result WILL enhance White paint ................

The only color plastic I've had a problem with is red. I actually believe it has more to do with the white paint than it does with the red plastic. I was building a Monogram kit ('81 Turbo T/A) molded in red and I went over it with my normal Plasti Kote gray sandable primer. I really didn't care if the red bled through since I was planning on painting it red anyway. To my surprise, after the third coat of primer was on and dry, there was no hint of red at all! So, I thought hmmm change of plans. I then decided to paint it white with a red interior to make it really pop. I decided to sand the gray slick and shoot one good wet coat of PlastI Kote White and begin spraying my Tamiya Pure White. As soon as I began spraying the white primer, the red bled through! I think the white primer or paint draws the red out because there was absolutely no hint of red with the gray primer. I have a Monogram '56 T-Bird molded in red that I plan on doing some testing with.

Molding the kit in purple was probably one of those decisions made A) to appeal to the market segment that won't ever paint a model anyway, or B) because someone's brother-in-law had a hopper car full of purple styrene pellets for a real steal of a price.

Ding Ding Ding Ding! Correct!

Some of the first and probably a lot of the second.

I used to work in a place that molded plastic. If you get a good deal on the pellets and the customer doesn't care.

I forget which kit it was or the company that made it ( I want to say it was Revell, but I could be wrong ) but it was moulded in plastic that was multiple colours, sort of what your dog or cat would throw up. It was absolutely hideous looking.

Were they all like that?

I'm thinking I had one when they first came out and it was that generic light gray color.

The original ones were. A few years back they reissued it and it was molded in color- I think it came with a few pots of acrylic paint, a brush, and some non toxic glue as well. Not only was the plastic purple, it was also really brittle.

The only color plastic I've had a problem with is red. I actually believe it has more to do with the white paint than it does with the red plastic. I was building a Monogram kit ('81 Turbo T/A) molded in red and I went over it with my normal Plasti Kote gray sandable primer. I really didn't care if the red bled through since I was planning on painting it red anyway. To my surprise, after the third coat of primer was on and dry, there was no hint of red at all! So, I thought hmmm change of plans. I then decided to paint it white with a red interior to make it really pop. I decided to sand the gray slick and shoot one good wet coat of PlastI Kote White and begin spraying my Tamiya Pure White. As soon as I began spraying the white primer, the red bled through! I think the white primer or paint draws the red out because there was absolutely no hint of red with the gray primer. I have a Monogram '56 T-Bird molded in red that I plan on doing some testing with.

Clear can do the same thing. Which is even worse as you think you've got away with it, blow on some clear and BANG it's a blotchy ('cause you've obviously used filler) pink gloss finish.

The original ones were. A few years back they reissued it and it was molded in color- I think it came with a few pots of acrylic paint, a brush, and some non toxic glue as well. Not only was the plastic purple, it was also really brittle.

That's the one. I also remember the generic grey version, pretty sure I built it way back when.

Got this kit as a gift from my wife's cousin, he saw I was building models and he had it just sitting somewhere at his house.