Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clark Gas Station Project

Repstock

I've got the cans for the showroom wall pretty much done except for finishing the painting of the shelves. Can decals were made on an inkjet printer. Many more cans needed for stockroom. I may add an oil display rack or two to the showroom as well. These are the only two oil grades for which I could verify the oil can design.

oilcans1.jpg

I don't know if they changed between the time I had my station in 67 and your dio circa 1977, but in my time, the cheap cans of oil were black and white. We stocked the show room shelves with the middle grade silver and white for obvious money reason, and the premium cans of gold and white 10w30's were stacked in a pyramid just behind the two front windows. There were black and white one gallon cans of cheap oil also.

I've got the cans for the showroom wall pretty much done except for finishing the painting of the shelves. Can decals were made on an inkjet printer. Many more cans needed for stockroom. I may add an oil display rack or two to the showroom as well. These are the only two oil grades for which I could verify the oil can design.

oilcans1.jpg

I don't see price tags......Otherwise those have to be real.....WOWSER TOM!!!

Guest Johnny

There is an old Clark Station across the street from us but the building was changed when it went from Clark to a Deep Rock. They squared it up and flattened the roof!

It actually closed as a Deep Rock and was reopened again as a Clark but with the modern signage! It is now a Shell.

All those cans bring back memories of working at the stations as a youngster.

I still have my spout for oil cans in my tool box! :lol:

Can't wait to see it done! :lol:

ClarkTexaco1.jpg

Here's one of the reasons I chose Clark. Here is the Clark station compared to a Texaco station.

Not only are the Clark repairs complete, you can see the progress I've made when I haven't been working on oil cans. My sources gave differing accounts of the floor surface (I'm sure every station wasn't IDENTICAL). I chose the black and white diamond pattern to liven up the place. The showroom glass is plexiglas with plastruct bracing. When I measured the Clark station near my home, I was glared at by the owners of a taco stand who had taken over the lot. (the building was in the process of being sold). They had no legal claim to the building, so I measured it, and took pictures anyway. I don't know how long the building will be there, so I got my numbers while I could.

The Texaco station was started years ago. There was a Texaco station that had been modified to a used car lot a few miles from my home. The building had all the exterior panels intact. I was able to produce accurate drawings as I spent a day measuring everything to the amusement of the owners. The bathrooms were unchanged from the Texaco days, all materials and colors were intact and unaltered. I took quite a few pictures of everything inside and outside. Who knows, someday I may finish it, but it has rather a large footprint for the room I have.

I've also drawn up a Phillip's 66 station (also a large model footprint, even larger than the Texaco), but I haven't been granted permission to photograph the structure inside. Hopefully I can get that done before it's gone. There was a cool Shell station, too, but I waited too long on that one, it's gone.

Both structures are 1/25 scale.

I must say Tom , you certainly could give me a run for the money. Looking at both the Texaco and the Clark, both seem very well constructed and realistic . I hope you don't suffer the problem as I have in storage of these dioramas . I build mine to "Break down ". as I travel with mine in different cities . Hauling such a structure in hallways , elevator cars and bustling through some narrow aisles would have destroyed any of my service stations years ago. Ed Shaver

I must say Tom , you certainly could give me a run for the money. Looking at both the Texaco and the Clark, both seem very well constructed and realistic . I hope you don't suffer the problem as I have in storage of these dioramas . I build mine to "Break down ". as I travel with mine in different cities . Hauling such a structure in hallways , elevator cars and bustling through some narrow aisles would have destroyed any of my service stations years ago. Ed Shaver

I would very much like to see your stations. Is there a site where I can see them? One of the reasons I spend time on this board is to see models, especially buildings, that AREN'T MINE! I see my stuff all the time, no big thrill there!

Tom, this is a great build and brings back a lot of memories. Growing up in the northern Detroit suburbs, we had quite a few of these stations. I got my license in 1980 and barely remember the 'stripped down' look before everyone went to a convenience store. I think I still have my can funnel in the garage somewhere as well.

Although we didn't have any Clark stations in SW Iowa where I grew up, I worked at a Pester Derby that was almost identical to these Clark stations. I'm really enjoying watching this build and will be anticipating more updates. Great job so far.

Great station, and great seeing you here if you are the Tom I think you are. :rolleyes: Great pics so far, and yes, that is a quite a size difference between the 2 stations.

Mike

It was great seeing you at the IPMS show. I hope things have vastly improved for you since our last conversation. Thanks for the welcome, I think I may just settle in here. Your avatar makes me cringe, my friend.

Edited by Repstock

I thought that was you. Things have got better. I got a job at Kenworth. Bad part is we will need to move closer as it is an hour (60.2 miles) drive. Still have the Bells Palsey, even after almost a year. It is great to see what you are working on! Hope you like this avatar better.

Mike

Edited by mikelo

I thought that was you. Things have got better. I got a job at Kenworth. Bad part is we will need to move closer as it is an hour (60.2 miles) drive. Still have the Bells Palsey, even after almost a year. It is great to see what you are working on! Hope you like this avatar better.

Mike

Great news about the job! New avatar is less startling, but I'm surprised it isn't a Mopar!

• 2 weeks later...

This is sure bringing back memory's. If I could type faster I have a hundred stores from when I worked at a Clark station. We had a cigarette rack left of the door with a floor safe under it and candy bars to the right of the door. Keep up the great work this is a very fun build for me to watch.

• 3 weeks later...

compressor6.jpgcompressor5.jpg

After gaining access to an old station, some of the details have been cleared up. Other details will reflect what others have told me.

These items are made primarily from .040 styrene. The water heater is a stack of 1/25 wheels covered with .015 styrene.

More to come.