Model Cars Magazine Forum

Class Info Request..

Len Geisler

If memory serves me correctly, S/S became P/S sometime in the late 60's early 70's but I am not sure when. If somone can shed some light on this onme for me, I'd be greatful. I am closing iin on the finish of my two current projects, and my next will be a drag project, and I like to be as close to accurate as I can. Also, can some one help with tires sizes between these two classes? I am debating building Judy Lilly S/S Cuda and a Bruce Larson USA 1 Camaro P/S and like I said, the closer the better. I am not rivet counter, but i like things to be close...

Also if there is a website where i can look up old rules and classifications (NHRA.COM???) that'd be cool too...

Thanks in advance!!!!

If memory serves me correctly, S/S became P/S sometime in the late 60's early 70's but I am not sure when. If somone can shed some light on this onme for me, I'd be greatful. I am closing iin on the finish of my two current projects, and my next will be a drag project, and I like to be as close to accurate as I can. Also, can some one help with tires sizes between these two classes? I am debating building Judy Lilly S/S Cuda and a Bruce Larson USA 1 Camaro P/S and like I said, the closer the better. I am not rivet counter, but i like things to be close...

Also if there is a website where i can look up old rules and classifications (NHRA.COM???) that'd be cool too...

Thanks in advance!!!!

Pro Stock style racing actually began in 1968 as a "showcase" class for the AHRA. In 1969 the AHRA class was given official status and called Super Stock.

As Marc stated, Pro Stock was an official NHRA eliminator category beginning in 1970.

To answer your tire question; There might be no difference in tire size between the early Pro Stock cars and the top Super Stock classes (SS/B or SS/BA). Super Stockers were allowed to use any size tire that would fit in the stock wheel house while Pro Stocks were allowed to have as much as 2 inches of the tire to be outside of the wheel opening. After looking at dozens of 1970 Pro Stock photos, it looks as though the tires of the day were no more than 10 or 11 inches wide.

Walter Frey