Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Ford Courier (Sedan Delivery)

This is a Jimmy Flintstone transkit and a real nice conversion kit that includes body, interior tub and bed insert. Everything goes together perfectly with very little filing. I painted the body Tamiya bright red with primer grey interior with black accents. The glass was tinted with a light coat of Tamiya's clear blue. I did file off the outside of the kit supplied wheels to make the white walls look more like 1960 period tires.

This makes a nice companion model for AMT's Ranchero.

Thanks for looking.

Al

post-8591-0-42039300-1408560222_thumb.jp

Edited by Porscheman

That is not a 1960 Ford Courier. The 1960 Courier was based on the fullsize Ford Ranch Wagon. In fact the '59 and '60 Courier had glass rather than solid side panels. They were basically a 2-door Ranch Wagons with a single seat for the driver only. For '61 they switch the sedan delivery down to the Falcon line. They also went back to solid side panels. The Courier name did not go with the switch.

That being said, I do like your model. It's very nice. The Ranchero looks great too (which did switch to the Falcon line for '60). Your "Courier" is actually a phantom '60 Falcon sedan delivery. Which is cool with me.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

That is not a 1960 Ford Courier. The 1960 Courier was based on the fullsize Ford Ranch Wagon. In fact the '59 and '60 Courier had glass rather than solid side panels. They were basically a 2-door Ranch Wagons with a single seat for the driver only. For '61 they switch the sedan delivery down to the Falcon line. They also went back to solid side panels. The Courier name did not go with the switch.

That being said, I do like your model. It's very nice. The Ranchero looks great too (which did switch to the Falcon line for '60). Your "Courier" is actually a phantom '60 Falcon sedan delivery. Which is cool with me.

Scott

Scott you are right. When I type this up I was looking at the Ranchero box and typed 60 instead of 61, good catch. My uncle Art had a nursery and he drove a silver 60 Courier with the single seat and should have known better. He would take my cousins and I out in his fields and we would all come back bruised and covered in evergreen branches, good times. :blink:

Thanks everyone for the nice comment on my build. I did it the way I like em, bare bones.

Al

Edited by Porscheman

Well, they can say what they want about Flintstone resins and knock ;'em all they want, but your build goes to show that they have a lot of potential with some effort and work. Some guys like things right out of the box and perfect, but taking something that is workable and producing something like your sedan delivery really is what model building is all about IMHO. I have a few Flintstone resin kits and for the dollar, they are usually a pretty good deal. I've bought far more expensive resin model that needed a lot more work than Jimmy's do but I am just glad to have them as most resin stuff is unique and fills the gaps that the big companies can't. Your build exemplifies how some work and time can produce outstanding results with something if you put your mind and heart into it. Well done!

Edited by impcon

Well, they can say what they want about Flintstone resins and knock ;'em all they want, but your build goes to show that they have a lot of potential with some effort and work. Some guys like things right out of the box and perfect, but taking something that is workable and producing something like your sedan delivery really is what model building is all about IMHO. I have a few Flintstone resin kits and for the dollar, they are usually a pretty good deal.

Many years ago I was on the phone with Jimmy about NNL East and he asked my opinion if there was a market for cheap resin bodies... the idea was just the body for people to build off of, quality that would take a bit of work, but a price point below any other resin caster. At that time it was between $10-15. He went forward with the idea and its been pretty successful. We do get an occasional whiner who thinks they should be Modelhaus quality, but most of us get the idea and are happy to get the product!

Many years ago I was on the phone with Jimmy about NNL East and he asked my opinion if there was a market for cheap resin bodies... the idea was just the body for people to build off of, quality that would take a bit of work, but a price point below any other resin caster. At that time it was between $10-15. He went forward with the idea and its been pretty successful. We do get an occasional whiner who thinks they should be Modelhaus quality, but most of us get the idea and are happy to get the product!

Tom, I agree with you whole heartedly. It is my opinion that we should all just be grateful that these resin casters provide what they do because were it not for them, then for many of us, our wish lists would be all much longer and not a chance of ever being realized. Our individual talents and levels of ability determine what a finished product will be but as evidenced by this build, our desires, abilities and patience are what see as our own limits. This little car would fit in nicely in any collection despite the grumblings about how inferior the original body is. I have one of these bodies and I thought that for the price, it was an excellent starting point and I stand by that. With all due respect, I tend to think that there are those out there who will always find something wrong with any kit or build where as we should be thankful to have what we have. I recently quoted Thumper - the little rabbit - from the Disney Movie "Bambi" who said, "If ya can't say sumthin' nice, then don't say nuthin' at all".