Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pete 359 vs Dimaond Reo for heavy.

Ok so I got the California Hauler today, and I've got the Diamond Reo sitting here. As you may know from another thread I've got a Payhauler 350 I was going to stick on a lowboy. Well that lowboy has now become a detachable gooseneck beam trailer.

The real question here is which rig would be best suited? I'm not planning to add extra axles(don't have that kind of dough to spare), but I've added about 2 and a half scale feet to the Pete and about 2 to the Reo. Don't think I'll be sticking a sleeper on either one. However I want it to be like someone took some classics and rebuilt them a bit more modern and totally custom perhaps in the 80's. Which one of these is really going to have the more power for pulling that Payhauler?

I'd love to do a third axle and use the Pete, but I don't have the parts for a third axle(not even the little single tire on each side steerable/liftable axle though I might be able to pull it off if I could find a pair of wheels/tires), and at 290HP the engine in the Pete seems a little wimpy. Though I suppose since I'm not going to do the tilt hood(thoughit's gotta look good from the underside so no curbside), I COULD take the engine from the Revell W-900(which I'm find doing a total curbside with).

Just not sure which way to go with this.

Edited by fantacmet

Of those two and without serious modifications the Diamond Reo is closer to a potential heavy haul truck. If you want to use the Pete scratch building an auxiliary gearbox would be a step in the right direction, this would give the lackluster power a gearing boost. You could also add a turbo to the engine to make it an 8v-71T which did make a bit more power. You could also straight out swap the motor from the DR into the Pete. If you could manage to pick up one of the Revell snap kits you could swap the 3406 into the Pete, the motor is a bit newer than the Pete kit but would be a viable swap for replacing the original Detroit in a 1/1 truck. The 3406 is a 425hp B version that is all mechanical and can be turned up to over 600hp with a few mods, this would be ideal for a heavy haul truck.

I just wish I could find a set of 10 hole wheels to trade for the REO ones. Incuding the wide fronts that you seem to see alot of on newer rigs. Can't afford the resin stuff. Maybe I'll post int he wanted, but y'all convinced me to go with my original plan of using the Reo.

I like the Reo spoke wheels. I have several of the reisue AMT truck kits with the 10 hole wheels I'd trade. I have the Pete cabover, the Kenworth K123, the Cali Hauler, The IH transtar 4300. I don't have any newer style wide fronts though.

I am a fan of the spokes wheels too...never needed all the flash of loads of chrome I like the old utilitarian look.

I like utilitarian and the custom look. There's more than just chrome or spokes though. The spokes I've seen have been devastating, though they still have their place, and I understand some old timers SWEAR by them no matter how many times they come apart and almost get them killed, there's a reason why most have switched to aluminum, and they don't have to be chrome plated or polished. Lighter weight in the rotating mass, better mileage. Maybe a tiny percent but it adds up on these big rigs. There's the steed buds painted or chrome, the 10 holes, polished, plain, painted or chromed. This particular rig I want a set of 10 holes. Chromed? Probably be stripping chrome off of whatever I can get my hands on. Either go straight aluminum or black with them. Haven't made up my mind. The trucks I want to build straight utilitarian, I don't have the dough for yet. I do intend on several fleet rigs in consolidated freight livery. Knight transportation, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, I even want to build a setup of I think it's Bateman Casket Company.

The goal is someone who took an older truck and rebuilt it, made it look really nice, dressed it up a bit and uses it as a mildly customized heavy haul. Not someone who found an old pile of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH got it running and scrapes it along leaving pieces of itself all over(though I do have those projects in the future).

I don't order kits though. My projects are determined by however much $$ I can spare and what is on the shelf at the local hobby shop.

I suppose I could go get some small aluminum pucks and toss them on my lathe and use a friends rotary table. Didn't quite want to hit that route though.

Point is, the battle between straight painted everything and all out chromed everything is completely ridiculous. There's not a thing wrong with either style. There isn't a thing wrong moving forward with technology. Most of the old style isn't as practical as some of the old timers would like to think. It's also nowhere near the garbage that the new timers like to think either.

I'll get off my soap box now. No need to turn my thread into a whizzing match over this style or that style.

I like utilitarian and the custom look. There's more than just chrome or spokes though. The spokes I've seen have been devastating, though they still have their place, and I understand some old timers SWEAR by them no matter how many times they come apart and almost get them killed, there's a reason why most have switched to aluminum, and they don't have to be chrome plated or polished. Lighter weight in the rotating mass, better mileage. Maybe a tiny percent but it adds up on these big rigs. There's the steed buds painted or chrome, the 10 holes, polished, plain, painted or chromed. This particular rig I want a set of 10 holes. Chromed? Probably be stripping chrome off of whatever I can get my hands on. Either go straight aluminum or black with them. Haven't made up my mind. The trucks I want to build straight utilitarian, I don't have the dough for yet. I do intend on several fleet rigs in consolidated freight livery. Knight transportation, Oak Harbor Freight Lines, I even want to build a setup of I think it's Bateman Casket Company.

The goal is someone who took an older truck and rebuilt it, made it look really nice, dressed it up a bit and uses it as a mildly customized heavy haul. Not someone who found an old pile of BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH got it running and scrapes it along leaving pieces of itself all over(though I do have those projects in the future).

I don't order kits though. My projects are determined by however much $$ I can spare and what is on the shelf at the local hobby shop.

I suppose I could go get some small aluminum pucks and toss them on my lathe and use a friends rotary table. Didn't quite want to hit that route though.

Point is, the battle between straight painted everything and all out chromed everything is completely ridiculous. There's not a thing wrong with either style. There isn't a thing wrong moving forward with technology. Most of the old style isn't as practical as some of the old timers would like to think. It's also nowhere near the garbage that the new timers like to think either.

I'll get off my soap box now. No need to turn my thread into a whizzing match over this style or that style.

Sounds cool to me...and yes chrome has its place some trucks just do not look right without it...IH 4300 for instance. Everyone has their building style for a certain kit and that is what makes everyone here look at the others builds and projects...nothing wrong intended with my comments I am just an old school truck builder guy I like the ones that are just brute force workhorses. I can appreciate the new tech trucks for what has been done with them. I too build with a very very small budget if one at all...LOL... Ether way I like your build.

Are the front wheels supposed to sit that far back or should I be doing something before I get that far? Or is it just an optical illusion from the angle of the camera. Nice lookin build. Love the tanks.

Sorry I missed this question. I'll look when get home tomorrow if it was the angle or if the tires are too far back. If you go with the bigger float steers they will be close, if not hitting the fender.

Dakota, that's a good looking build. I tend to build show trucks, but I can appreciate a well built truck. No matter the style, show room stock, mild custom, all out show truck, dirty work horse, or a retired put to pasture 20 years ago look, the skill, care and time put into a build are amazing. I'm slowly building a dirty DR. I need to get it back on the bench 1 of these days.

Edited by Petetrucker07