Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom stretch chassis trucks

So, I think I'm going to try this stretch thing. I love the look of the long wheel base trucks. I will be using the Monogram "snap" 1/25 Pete and/or the snap Kenworth. I haven't really done any kind of planning or really even given much thought to this/these builds as I am a kind of "Build what FEELS right" kind of seat of the pants custom builder.

I was curious if there's a proper length to stretch or if it's just something that's up to the builder's taste. Ultimately, I'm going to do what I feel is right, but if it helps to make a more satisfactory build, I'd like to get it at least close.

My thoughts were to stretch the frame just behind the sleeper about 1.5 inches, build some custom fenders front and rear, maybe stretch the sleeper or just build some extension panels to elude to a longer sleeper. I'd like some custom wheels and tires, but I'm probably going to be stuck with the stock ones for now, as I have very little in the manner of spare parts for building big rigs. Although I do have some pretty cool looking wheels from a JADA "1/24" scale Nissan 240SX that I had considered using.

I hope you guys don't mind me using this as an idea board of sorts. I've just never done custom trucks. I've always been a car/pickup guy due to the cost of the trucks.

Thanks,

Ken

Stretching is completely up to you and your shelf space. As far as wheels, Moebius has rim and tire sets. I switch out all of my revell truck builds for them. How to stretch you have the right idea. Here's a pic of how I did my snap KW.

20150127_180543_zpsztybfgxx.jpg

you also need to add some extra help in strengthening the frame. I used .03 sheet styrene cut as a smooth deck plate, extended past the joints of where the frame is stretched.

20150130_193619_zpsj9hfnfii.jpg

I used some blank frame rail material I got from Rhino's Truck Parts. Then "sleeved" it using 5/16 channel. I usual build by eyeballing. Kinda the same as you, whatever feels and looks right. The KW is the first truck I actually measured, I stretched it to 305". My Prostar I eyeballed and it ended up around 270. I stretched it the same way as the KW. I just made sure it wasn't right next to a cross member.

20150125_132954_zpsybgofmzj.jpg

Your fine in posting your thoughts, questions and concerns here. We all do it. You made a nice choice for your first truck build. It's a nice easy kit. My only gripe is the lack of visor, Rhino's can help with that too, as well as stacks and a bumper. I've 2 snap Petes, 1 modified and 1 box stock. I'll post a pic if the modified.

image_zps0cdd4f4f.jpg

Good luck with your build. Feel free to ask questions.

Edited by Petetrucker07

Thank you, Clayton, for your insight and for building and posting such beautiful work! It is, in no small part, due to your builds that I am inspired to take on this project.

I have thought about the mobius wheels and all, but I'm just going to go with what I can fab up or use out of my existing parts. Takes a lot longer, but it's always worth having something no one else has, for originality's sake.

I may take your lead and build a single drive out of the pete and use the extra chassis for the KW. I'll have to dig them out and see how compatible the frames are.

There is a couple people selling real aluminum wheels. I think Clas A resins might be, they maybe 1/16th scale. I can't remember who the other is,I'm pretty sure in truck aftermarket section you could find the post.

Thank you for the kind words, I still consider myself to be a step above the glue on the windshield builder. If my builds inspire anybody, I'm speachless. I truly am thankful.

Don't sell yourself short, C.....You've got some good stuff going on over there.....I love this forum, as it really gives a guy some good ideas and challenges one to build better models....Gained a lot of valuable skills carousing all the posts of some very skillful builders.....

As for the chassis stretch, I'm a BIG fan....That KW and Pete can be built up nicely.....Can't beat the price....Clayton's stretch is about the easiest way to do it....I don't think I could offer anything better, technique wise.....But I did build this with about a 1" stretch....And used the kit wheels and tires......

066a_zpsffa9082f.jpg

055a_zpse70761db.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10