Model Cars Magazine Forum

Would there be any interest in a 1969 Charger 500?

Would you buy the conversion kit?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a 1969 Dodge Charger 500 conversion kit?

I would like to get some opinions on this before I master up something, but how much interest would there be for a Charger 500 conversion kit based off of the Revell 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona? If I did master up such a kit, it would likely include a new body shell, hood, grille, front valance, and the interior floor and package shelf. Just trying to get some opinions before I start trying to hunt down two more Charger bodies to make one to cast.

This is the Charger 500

342111-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

Edit: I have since added a poll to the topic. This poll will run from today, until Tuesday September 23rd, or one week from today. Please vote in the poll as it will help me gain a better understanding of whether or not I should continue with my endeavors.

Edited by Mr. Moparman

This may sound dumb but here goes, what about doing a photoetch coronet grille that fits the 69 charger grille shell then provide headlight buckets/ lenses?

That would be nice, but the you would be able to see behind it, and into the R/T grille. I thought the real car had the Coronet grille bolted on over the Charger grille, turns out I was wrong. The real car had the Coronet grille mounted in the Charger grille surround, but the Charger grille was removed so that if you looked through the Coronet grille, you would not see the Charger grille behind it. I was thinking of cutting the bumper off a MPC 500 grille, trimming the actual grille to fit within one of Revell's '68 Charger grille surrounds, and casting it as one new piece that would fit the Revell fenders like a glove. Photoetch would be nice, but a little impractical too. I'm gonna get in touch with Kevin at Missing Link and see what he would charge to cast it if I mastered it.

Edited by Mr. Moparman

Me and Kevin at Missing Link have been talking, and we came to the conclusion that for a conversion kit for the Revell '69 Daytona (includes body, hood, grille, and front valance), the estimated price would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $53 to $55. I have edited the topic so that it now has a poll. If you would be interested in purchasing one in that price range, then please vote in the polls so Kevin and I can get an idea to see if we want to continue this project.

I have one that I have been playing with for a few years now. I was not very serious about a 69 Charger 500 when I started. I had an extra Daytona body and decided to cut off the front fenders and swap nose's. It came out nice. Now that the bodywork in 95% done I'm working on the grill. Here is my progress photos.

69Charger50001.jpg

69Charger50002.jpg

69Charger50003.jpg

69Charger50004.jpg

Edited by Sport Suburban

I have the 68 Charger bumper and an extra MPC grill. My thoughts are to trim it down and fit it inside the 68 Charger grill. The other bumper is the Revell 69 with the grill cut off. The MPC grill is wide enough but somewhat narrow.

As far as sales go. How well did the Missing Link 70 Charger conversion sell? I think that kit would sell better than a 69 Charger 500. That is just my opinion thou.

Edited by Sport Suburban

I have the 68 Charger bumper and an extra MPC grill. My thoughts are to trim it down and fit it inside the 68 Charger grill. The other bumper is the Revell 69 with the grill cut off. The MPC grill is wide enough but somewhat narrow.

As far as sales go. How well did the Missing Link 70 Charger conversion sell? I think that kit would sell better than a 69 Charger 500. That is just my opinion thou.

Personally, I know how well they did, but out of respect for his businesses privacy, I won't say. I'll allow him to chime in and say how well the '70s did.

The 69 Charger 500 uses the same interior as the Daytona kit. If you start with the 69 Charger RT kit. You will need the Interior base with the longer package tray and rear window. If you start with the Daytona kit you would need the Charger hood and front valance.

I think it would be easier to cast the hood and valance as stated above and start with the Daytona kit as a donor.

The 69 Charger 500 uses the same interior as the Daytona kit. If you start with the 69 Charger RT kit. You will need the Interior base with the longer package tray and rear window. If you start with the Daytona kit you would need the Charger hood and front valance.

I think it would be easier to cast the hood and valance as stated above and start with the Daytona kit as a donor.

Yeah, that's what I was planning. Use the Daytona as the donor, and just cast a new body, grille, hood, and valance.

The hood is the same between a charger 500 versus a regular charger,,,only the Daytona has a unique hood (it's almost the same as 1970 Charger )

Yeah, but does everybody just have a hood from a Revell Charger laying around? Maybe if you are a diehard Mopar fan, but I am including the hood because it is a critical piece of body sheet metal, and it makes the conversion kit complete.

Great idea. I can't wait for this. Hurry up! Lol

Patience, young grasshopper! :P I still have to complete the master, which is at the bottom of my list right now as I have to have the replica of my grandfather's car done by Friday night, and then I still must make the ever so important decision on whether it is worthwhile to invest in casting! (Ah, the struggle) :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr. Moparman

I think this is a marvelous idea. just to be clear, are we talking about a full body and all the parts or a true conversion kit that would go onto the revel Daytona kit?

This is full conversion kit. The only thing necessary for a Charger 500 using the Daytona is a new body, grille hood, and front valance. Everything else is the same.

I would like to get some opinions on this before I master up something, but how much interest would there be for a Charger 500 conversion kit based off of the Revell 1969 Dodge Charger Daytona? If I did master up such a kit, it would likely include a new body shell, hood, grille, front valance, and the interior floor and package shelf. Just trying to get some opinions before I start trying to hunt down two more Charger bodies to make one to cast.

This is the Charger 500

342111-1000-0.jpg?rev=2

Edit: I have since added a poll to the topic. This poll will run from today, until Tuesday September 23rd, or one week from today. Please vote in the poll as it will help me gain a better understanding of whether or not I should continue with my endeavors.

my buddy has a 500 just like this one..very fun to drive!