Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '59 Ford Skyliner

imatt88

Years ago, SAE ran a Sketchpad illustration featuring an old Craftsman series AMT '59 Edsel kitbashed with the Revell Retractable. I'm thinking of trying it with the newer tool '58 kit.

John- never realized the '59's had more standardized sheetmetal than the previous two years models. Since the retractable was such a low production car, I wonder why they even bothered continuing it into '59. Perhaps to pay off the engineering costs? I remember reading it was originally designed for Lincoln, but it would have made the Lincoln so expensive, the execs at FoMoCo figured putting the feature on the less-expensive Ford made more sense.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just cruising the forums at the Antique Automobile Club of America site, and came across an interesting piece of information.

According to the owner of one of only two factory-produced Continental Mark II convertibles, the retractable hardtop was originally meant for the Mark II, but that brand was shut down before it could be produced, so they transferred it to Ford for use on the Fairlane/Galaxie.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/

Edited by sjordan2

Mark, even in the old 1980's issue or Skips Fiesta , the custom options were some skirts and baby Moons and some cheesy decals . That issue was molded in a Peach color or Salmon. In fact , I can't even recall how long it's been since Revell had the few Custom options that that kit had . I know back in 1960, it had a battery operated motor that was avalible . Hey, customizing the 59 is really easily done . You can always raid an A M T 57 Ford Fairlane for some ideas . Ed Shaver

I was just cruising the forums at the Antique Automobile Club of America site, and came across an interesting piece of information.

According to the owner of one of only two factory-produced Continental Mark II convertibles, the retractable hardtop was originally meant for the Mark II, but that brand was shut down before it could be produced, so they transferred it to Ford for use on the Fairlane/Galaxie.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/look-at-what-i-found-1956-continental-mark-ii-convertible-by-hess-eisenhardt/

Yep, like I said in my last post! :P:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I Like that Old Skyliner.

And Yes, as stated, Revell with the Skip's issue has incorrexctly called this a Galaxie

even though the Fairlane 500 script is Still present on the rear quarter panels.

The reason Ford Left the Fairlane 500 on the deck of the Galaixe is the first 0 in 500 was the Key slot for the trunk lid.

I know, I almost Bought a Galaxie 4dr sedan!

I have Several of these, including 2 Original's, 4 of the Yellow 74/5 issue, ?? of the Pink/Coral

(Revell actually states it is Molded in Coral on the box) Skip's issue & one of the RoG issue in a similar green to the

Originals. I do want a few of the New SSP issues in White..

And Yes, The parts Do fit the PMC Toy issue Ranchero & Country Sedan.

Here is a Skip's Skyliner converted into a 2dr Sedan. It will have Era correct Baltimore Police Decals

Balt-PD-Rs.jpg

Yes I will change the script to Custom!

Here is the First one I bought in 74/5. I am in the middle of restoring it.

yellow-Skyliner-Rr.jpg

I bought this one built. I did repaint the white, and added the narrow white-stripes to the US Royal Master tires.

Turq-Sky-Lf-Up.jpg

I also added working steering

Here is the First Skips issue I bought. I am going ALL out on this one. Continental spare carrier

(Scratch build based on AMT Original), Opening doors, etc!!

This one will be painted as close as possible to Sunset Coral!

Coral-Skyliner-Rr.jpg

Here is a good shot of most of my 1959 Ford lot!!

59Fordlot-4.jpg

The 2tone Pink & White Wagon in the Bottom Left is a Deluxe Promo. Interior, windows,

Even Hubcaps in the tires Just some minor warping

The turquious one is a Toy issue. Styrene No warping!!

Can anyone guess what the 4dr Sedan Police car is?? (Where From)

Think Fictitious ie, TV/Movie

Check out the rest here;

http://s145.photobuc...!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

Do you think I Like that 59 Skyliner kit!??!

Edited by Edsel-Dan

It's a neat kit. I remember as a teenager getting the 'Skip's Fiesta Drive-in' reissue (late '80s) and wondering where the body was when I opened it...first Revell multi-piece body kit I'd encountered. With time, effort and care, it can build up quite nicely.

Skip's Fiesta Drive-in was an AWESOME place back in the mid to late 60's and I was glad that I got to hang out there and enjoy the many cars that passed through that place. There are stories of guys taking their rails off the trailers and racing in front of Skip's! And I do remember the "raid" there, as there were so many gumballs flashing on the cop cars, I though it was Christmas with all those lights. And buses to load the offenders and take them down to the station. What a night!

You guys all make it sound so easy. After I built that ruddy thing, I needed six weeks of post-revell-multi-piece-retractable-hardtop-trauma therapy. This thing is worse than IKEA on a Saturday.

Oh, come on, man... it's not as bad as all that! :lol:

Actually, from what I remember (I built mine many years ago), the multi-piece body was not a problem at all. Everything went together well. All I did was replace some of the top's hinge mechanism plastic parts with scratchbuilt wire hinges, just to make things a bit sturdier. But even that wasn't really necessary, the kit alone builds up just fine. It puts many new kits to shame!

I forgot to add this. The ONLY Non-stock parts in the Skip's kit were the Olds Fiesta caps that

replaced the Stock Ford caps.

No skirts, no spotlights, nothing.

Revell issued this version twice, the second in the SSP Limited release.

Revell-Of-Germany returned the Stock 59 Ford Hubcaps, & I think they even redid the metal axles

on the Original & 74/5 Yellow re-issue.

Like I said, I have TOO many of them to not know what is in every issue Except the current Rev USA SSP box.

• 8 months later...

Drivetrain and chassis are passable. Nothing great, but passable- this is a 1959-vintage tool. If you REALLY want something a bit more detailed you might want to look into getting an AMT '58 Edsel for the chassis and floor, but the Retractable chassis and engine should be just fine for most instances.

Would the undercarriage from the '60 Starliner work, or did things change drastically between those years?

The '60 Ford chassis is beautifully detailed, is the same wheelbase and is the correct semi-perimeter frame design, but the rear overhang is longer than the '59, and it's a bit wider (both easily corrected). Chuck can tell you more about the Edsel.

The Revell '59 Ford chassis detail is about the same level of detail as the AMT '57 Ford, with separate suspension but molded-in exhausts.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The biggest problem you have with this conversion is the Dashboard. in the 59 Retractable it's moulded to the front end of the car and really shaped funny. Another thing to keep in mind is the retractable is really 1/24th scale.

Ah! 1/24.........good point....nix the retractable!!!

• 1 year later...

Is this kit coming back out sometime soon.

Had a long time customer who happens to own a 1:1 '58 Skyliner come in to my HTU looking for the '59 kit. He said that another member of the local Skyliner club had a couple them and they were new kits. All I could find was the recent SSP issue online so I contacted a friend and customer that happens to be a member of a local model club with this same customer to see if he had heard anything about it, but that SSP kit was the most recent he knew of too.