Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits you'd like to see, but hey, you know they ruined the molds.

Since that time I have talked to various people who would have been involved, and everyone was just following orders and nobody ever made a decision to scrap those molds. Tom Gannon, the Monogram President at the time was the only one who would take credit for the direction that set that in motion, as he felt it was good business to eliminate the stuff from the marketplace to eliminate competition. As if some of that old Aurora stuff was really going to compete with what Monogram was doing.

Hope this helps clear up some of the confusion.”

–Tom West

Ah yes, the old " we were just following the orders of Superior Officers " the most lamest excuse used though history, both in war and in business. This time it's robbed us of some very neat kits.

Ah yes, the old " we were just following the orders of Superior Officers " the most lamest excuse used though history, both in war and in business. This time it's robbed us of some very neat kits.

It may also have saved Monogram, according to what Art Anderson said, and maybe a few others.

Well yeah, Tom's article spelled out the biggest problems with the bodies, so I went into this knowing just what to expect there; and without any nasty surprises, it was easy to be blown away by the rest.

I don't think I ever had anything from the Racing Scenes in my hands until I bought a parts lot on eBay in '99 or so, and Tom's articles definitely made me want more. This was on page two of the SLM article Greg linked to, but had the RS line been more successful, we might've seen these, too:

19459_1186775231198_1282823678_30453433_

It's also interesting that there's something to the engraving "flavor" that seems similar to the MPC big-scales of the time - don't know why a shared molding facility would bring that about if different artisans handled the tooling, but there does seem to be a certain subtle kinship there.

It was somewhere in Michigan, this molding facility? Not sure if I even am remembering correctly or where I read that (here maybe?). That would be wild if it was in MI and was the same place Lindberg molded its kits recently...road trip to eastern Michigan!