Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Revell 1968 Charger R/T kit is Released

fury3

While browsing the internet hobby retailers, I noticed that "Tower Hobbies" (owned by "Hobbico", who owns Revell) has listed their long awaited 2 in 1 1968 Dodge Charger R/T plastic kit (1/25th scale) as "in stock", from Stevens International. I do not have the kit yet to enlighten everyone with a review. Since I'm unable to post photos, I'll leave that honor to another "enlightened" member. -_- Please, don't beat me up for posting this information as that is what happened last fall when I stupidly announced the release of the current Revell 1970 Plymouth AAR 'cuda kit. I'm only the messenger, and trying to assist other members and friends. B) Fury3

B) Dave it's the same kit that was released as Dick Landy's 68 Charger a coupla years ago,with stock parts.Thats ok though caz IT's a re-pop of their 69 kit which is (IMHO)magnificent! The 68 thru 70 were some of the most beautiful styled cars that EVER came outta DEEEtroit! I got a coupla Landy cars caz I was told they werent gonna do a stock 68.Shoulda known better. But wat the heck, I love em an I'll probably get a couple more! -_-

I've already built a stock '68 from the Landy kit, so I don't need another, but I'm sure glad the R8 is out. I'm hoping it's like all other Revell USA variants and molded in white instead of the silver and gray Revell AG version.

The SSP reissue of the Cessna 180 also came out this week, I have to build one for a friend who owns the real plane. I need to set up a time one weekend soon to go flying w/him and get some pics.

Are the front fender marker lights slightly different for the 68 to the 69? or is it just the R/T models.

The Landy kit uses a body without the vinyl roof so I used the Pro Modeler 69 body to build a Bullitt replica.

John

(PS George 53 if you see this check your pm for Lola stuff)

Why did Dodge change the wheels from those nice one piece chrome Mag 500's to the chrome center chrome trim ring verision they used on the '69 ? The orange car above '69 has 'the '69 wheels.
The orange vehicle (1969) above does not have the correct wheels for a 1969. The 1967-68 Chrome Plated "Road Wheel" option featured a completely plated outer rim...right to the edge of the rim, and did not use a trim ring, as installed on the vehicle in the photo. In 1969 and up, the wheel was NOT plated in the outer rim area (from what I was told by friends around that time at Chrysler, it was done for cost considerations.) but instead painted. A smooth brushed finish trim ring was provided. A note on the 1968-1969 Chrysler corporate side marker "illumination" devices. Notice, I did not call them side marker lamps? For the 1969 model year, all corporate vehicles utilized a reflector lense, with no lamp or electrical provisions what-so-ever. The only way they were illuminated was when a bright light was reflected off of them from another source. Additionally, in 1969, all models (excepting the Imperial Division) used a body colored painted bezel around the reflector....it was NOT plated. I've seen these mistakenly foiled or painted silver on many 1969 Chrysler Corp. model car builds. There were two 1968 styles of side marker lamps...yes these were actually lamps. All Dodge and Plymouth Division vehicles used the round "porthole" style lamps, while the Chrysler Division and Imperial Division used a square shaped lamp. (One exception, was the 1968 Chrysler 300 series...it used it's own specific round rear quarter lamp with a red/white/blue paint filled chrome bezel.) In the 1970 model year, all corporate side marker devices were returned to lamps. This information is taken from the 1968 and 1969 Chrysler Passenger Car Parts Catalogs, and factory sales brochures. Hope this clears things up a bit. :blink: Fury3 Edited by fury3

I know that forums generally don't like people to link from one to the other due to advertiser issues etc.

If you want to see pics of the kit, there is a thread in Automotive Forums dot com in the automotive art/car modeling section with photos of the kit contents. Looks pretty cool; 440 and Hemi, dog dish hubcaps/steelies as well. The A/F forum has been cantankerous today, so don't be surprised if it doesn't load or is slow. Just like this one :blink:

I know that forums generally don't like people to link from one to the other due to advertiser issues etc.

If you want to see pics of the kit, there is a thread in Automotive Forums dot com in the automotive art/car modeling section with photos of the kit contents. Looks pretty cool; 440 and Hemi, dog dish hubcaps/steelies as well. The A/F forum has been cantankerous today, so don't be surprised if it doesn't load or is slow. Just like this one ;)

Thank you Bob for the information to the other forum. The photos were interesting. I knew this kit was going to be a modification of the "Landy" kit and the 1969 kits. Revell seems to be on the right track though....giving us a factory stock 440 Magnum AND a non stock 426 Hemi (incorrect air cleaner and aftermarket headers). They have filled in the 1969 body side marker reflectors, and left the body smooth. The "porthole" side marker lamps will be left to the decal sheet...or your own "engineering talents". I like the wide choice of wheels though! Looks like the steel wheels are a new tooling...finally a correct set of Chrysler steel wheels and 1967-1968 specific hub caps from Revell (instead of the incorrect steel set in the 1/24th scale 1970 Road Runner..they have the late 70's design cooling holes). These steel wheels and hub caps would look great on Revell's 68- Dart, 67 Belvedere GTX, Coronet R/T, AMT/Ertl/RC2's 1968 Road Runner. Of course, no kit is perfect and I'm sure it will find many modelers which will find fault (s) with it. I however, think it's great and a big step in the right direction! ;) Fury3

Edited by fury3

link to the pictures of the kit

it looks nice, do not see dog dish caps in the box looks like the same wheels that were in the 69 pro modeler 2 in 1 (stock charger rims and the cragar style mags). i too have a sealed landy kit that i am not gonna open now i am getting this kit to combine with a 69 charger to make a vinyl topped 68 charger and a vinyl top less 69 charger for a future general lee (yee haw!).

do not see dog dish caps in the box looks like the same wheels that were in the 69 pro modeler 2 in 1

The dog dishes are easily found in the photo with the three chrome trees. Look to the right...

Also, I hope there isn't a problem with your linking to another forum. It's generally frowned upon. But you did it, not me, so if anyone gets in trouble w/either forum, it won't be me ;)

If you want to see pics of the kit, there is a thread in Automotive Forums dot com in the automotive art/car modeling section with photos of the kit contents. Looks pretty cool; 440 and Hemi, dog dish hubcaps/steelies as well. The A/F forum has been cantankerous today, so don't be surprised if it doesn't load or is slow. Just like this one :wacko:

Ok ok...I'll post the pics in here too, to make it easier. Heh. You could have just asked me Bob:)

I took these pics, so don't anyone think I went and stole them from the other forum;) Sorry I troll here more than post. I'm always happy to post wherever tho, if something new comes out. Hope this helps some.

chrgpe6.jpg

Right behind the D pillar kink is a little flash, with the remnants of the vinyl top that used to be there.

chrg2gj0.jpg

chrg3vl6.jpg

chrg11wd9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I missed out on the Landy release, but I got one of the new 68's as soon as possible....those steelies and caps are a very nice addition, and I like that I'm not the only one who sees it loking nice in MM bronze lacquer(must be the box art pic).

Would the '71 AMT Charger contain the correct intake and exhaust manifolds to yield a decent street Hemi? Factory stock isn't necessary for me but rather a decent street cruiser. Thanks in advance.

IIRC, the AMT '71 Charger kit has a 440 Six Pack. I'd probably use parts from the AMT '68 Road Runner....

Would the '71 AMT Charger contain the correct intake and exhaust manifolds to yield a decent street Hemi? Factory stock isn't necessary for me but rather a decent street cruiser. Thanks in advance.
Even though you aren't seeking to duplicate a Street Hemi, in my opinion the Revell 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T, Dodge Charger, and Plymouth Belvedere GTX all have the correct 426 Street Hemi Components, and are more properly detailed than the "AMT'Ertl" engines...to include the cast iron exhaust manifolds. The Revell kits parts are correct and a carryover to the 1968 model year..also to include the correct round plated air filter housing. (The air cleaner in the "AMT/Ertl/RC2" 68 Road Runner is incorrect even for that kit...it is the unit used in 1969 with the fresh air induction "Air Grabber" (Plymouth) or "Ramcharger" (Dodge) hoods. A cold air induction hood was not available on ANY 1968 factory built, street legal Chrysler vehicle.) The three things the Revell 1968 Charger kit is missing (if one wants to install a factory stock Street Hemi) are the standard and required 15" wheels/tires, the front door exterior "Hemi" nameplates, and the "torque boxes" built into the rear sub frame...ahead of the front leaf spring supports. The chassis of the Revell 1967 Coronet/Charger/Belvedere has those reinforcements. :mellow: Fury3

• 9 months later...

Is the body shell piece in the '68 kit the same as in the '69 kit, except for the vinyl top being left off the roof and the side makers being filled on the '68 version? I think all of the other '68 or '69-specific body panels (tail panel, etc.) are separate pieces.