Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1966 Buick Wildcat

Joe Handley

Bodies on both kits are quite nice. I believe that AMT was MORE accurate in body shape back in those days than either they or Revell has been in more modern times.

The interiors and chassis are typical '60s fare.

Excellent shelf models can be built from both kits.

Bodies on both kits are quite nice. I believe that AMT was MORE accurate in body shape back in those days than either they or Revell has been in more modern times.

Promo based tooling, factory drawings and all that.. '60s annuals generally were pretty accurate for the bodies. IIRC, the '66 Wildcat actually has a '65 interior, AMT never updated the tool (the 1:1 had a new dash for '66). The simplified chassis never bothered me, I love the old kits for their subject matter and body accuracy..been building them for over 35 years.

Edited by Rob Hall

I used to own a real '69 Riv in another lifetime. The body of the AMT kit is 100% dead on.

That said, I doubt Frank will like it as it's a simple '60s era kit. ,, Me?, I love it.

This is the only one I have built right now. This is how I wanted my 1/1 to look [minus the wheels that didn't exist back in the '80s]

112_1267-vi.jpg

112_1271-vi.jpg

But, whoever gets one, PLEASE, don't paint the front signal lights and cornering lights amber like on the box of the last couple reissues of the kit, that's just wrong.

You are thinking of the '66 Riv modern tool. He asked about the '69, which is an original '60s annual that's been reissued a few times..

The '66 is a "modern tool?" Wow - glad you guys disagreed, because I've seen lots of these on eBay!

The interiors and chassis are typical '60s fare.

Excellent shelf models can be built from both kits.

Is a "shelf model" what we're all doing, Snake? What's the difference between a... non-shelf model? :unsure:

This is the only one I have built right now. This is how I wanted my 1/1 to look [minus the wheels that didn't exist back in the '80s]

But, whoever gets one, PLEASE, don't paint the front signal lights and cornering lights amber like on the box of the last couple reissues of the kit, that's just wrong.

Steve, you know me only too well! B)

Now, let's have your explanation of what should be used? (I'll betcha it's clear...) :wacko:

Is a "shelf model" what we're all doing, Snake? What's the difference between a... non-shelf mod

The '66 is a "modern tool?" Wow - glad you guys disagreed, because I've seen lots of these on eBay!

There is also an old tool '66 Riv (issued only in '66) , but of course those are more scarce and go for more coin than the modern tool one..

Edited by Rob Hall

The '69 is a great shelf model. It has a great body, and just has a good look. I can't speak for Snake, but my definition of a shelf model is a nice body, good wheels, and a decent interior that can be detailed a bit. I build them to be displayed on a shelf, a base, or in a display case. I do build the engine and do paint detailing under the hood and on the chassis, but I usually don't do a lot of scratchbuilding or detailing. The model is not intended to be picked up and judged, or displayed with the hood open to show off my wiring and plumbing work. It is also one of my favorite body styles.

The '66 Riviera is a very well detailed kit, and is from AMT's high point in the '90s. IIRC, it was done about the same time as the '57 Chrysler 300c, the Edsel and the '71 Charger. It is a good candidate for a full detailing, wiring and plumbing job. It could probably supply a lot of chassis and suspension parts for other years of the Riv (And similar GMs)

I haven't held a '66 Wildcat for many years, but IIRC, it was a lot like the '69 Riv. Nice body, but simplified chassis. It is an older kit.

If you are a die hard Buick fan, you need one of each!

Ooooo... you were just itching to use that script. Well, I'll just wait for Steve to respond... <_<

Um, there were 8-10 photos of white lenses on 69 Rivieras at the link. A few 68's, smaller side marker rather than cornering light.

I used the script as most of the questions you post can be partially answered with a search here, or Google, or Bing, or.....

It took me longer to type the script than do the search.

About 1,710,000 results (0.68 seconds)

You're welcome, sorry it didn't meet your personal needs. :rolleyes:

A shelf model is kinda like a real car that looks nice from a few car lengths away, but when you get closer, there are some things that could be better. It's a not-too-detailed, not-too-corrected, not-meant-to-be-as-perfect-as-possible model that wasn't built with any leanings towards model contests. Paint the chassis flat black (no one's gonna look), paint-detail under the hood, basic interior with no flock or embossing powder, decent,but not absolutely flawless paint... a nice, basic model that probably won't win at a contest but looks great adorning one's shelf.

The '66 Riviera is a very well detailed kit, and is from AMT's high point in the '90s. IIRC, it was done about the same time as the '57 Chrysler 300c, the Edsel and the '71 Charger. It is a good candidate for a full detailing, wiring and plumbing job. It could probably supply a lot of chassis and suspension parts for other years of the Riv (And similar GMs)

Yes, the "new" AMT '66 would be a good chassis donor for any Riv '66 up through, what, '70 or so? But IIRC the Riv used an X-framed chassis not shared by any other GM car. I'd have to double-check to see if it's appropriate and/or adaptable for the '65 Riv (or '63-'64 resto projects)--I THINK it might be but don't want to state for certain without checking.

And y'all have done a good job of defining "shelf model." That's pretty much all I build these days.

We really need a comprehensive list of all the 90's new-tool AMT/Ertl muscle car kits. I think I'll start one tomorrow it's bedtime now.

Bravo! I would certainly be interested in this! However, it could include all types of cars (not just muscle cars), if you don't mind... B)

The real '66 Wildcat had a different dash, side panels and seats. The seats were the strato-bench or buckets with slim seat backs. The model has the '65 interior, but it's still a good model. There was supposed to be a promo. I don't know what happened between Buick and AMT on this, but I saw a form that could be mailed in to AMT to purchase one. It ended up that only the Skylark GS and Riviera were available as promos that year.

I have had a few of the 66 Wildcat, Original annual & Customizing series re-issue

and was given an unbuilt original 65 some years ago

I believe you are correct only the body was altered while the interior was left unaltered

My dad owned a 65. The AMT kit interior does Not match his at all

Ours had a Bench seat with fold down armrest

and the dash had a large rectangular Speedometer/gauges

unlike the twin-pop dash in the kit.

well, here's the only surviving pic of my Riv. Those old 110 cameras kinda sucked. :rolleyes:

Anyway, the lenses in the signal lights in the front bumper were clear with amber bulbs. Side marker lights were also clear lenses with amber bulbs for the signal/marker lights and clear bulbs for the cornering lights. [this was an option] You really couldn't see any amber in them unless the amber bulbs were on.

Myriviera-vi.jpg

Yes, the "new" AMT '66 would be a good chassis donor for any Riv '66 up through, what, '70 or so? But IIRC the Riv used an X-framed chassis not shared by any other GM car. I'd have to double-check to see if it's appropriate and/or adaptable for the '65 Riv (or '63-'64 resto projects)--I THINK it might be but don't want to state for certain without checking.

And y'all have done a good job of defining "shelf model." That's pretty much all I build these days.

The '63-'65 Riviera chassis was adapted from the concurrent fullsize Buick. The car was designed with the idea that Cadillac might build it, but Cadillac was going full bore building their existing cars and didn't really need it. Buick was in something of a slump at the time, so they got the car. The '66 frame probably needs considerable rework and the floor pans aren't even close, but if you are determined to do it then you should be able to make it work under a '63-'65 Riviera, or even a '61-'64 fullsize Buick. I thought about trying such a conversion for about fifteen seconds. Buicks were pretty conventional cars then, for a model of one chassis detail isn't a big deal in my opinion.

The '66-'70 Riviera carried over the earlier chassis with some changes. Buick Division actually built some parts of the Toronado front drive unit, but decided they didn't need front drive for the Riviera. I read somewhere that they did a study with Riviera owners, and figured out that they didn't care about the front drive and wouldn't pay extra to get it. So the Riviera used the Toronado inner body shell but without front wheel drive. They would have sold for around the same money either way, but with the carryover chassis Buick probably made a bunch more money on them.

I have had a few of the 66 Wildcat, Original annual & Customizing series re-issue

and was given an unbuilt original 65 some years ago

I believe you are correct only the body was altered while the interior was left unaltered

My dad owned a 65. The AMT kit interior does Not match his at all

Ours had a Bench seat with fold down armrest

and the dash had a large rectangular Speedometer/gauges

unlike the twin-pop dash in the kit.

Are you sure your Dad had a '65? A different style of interior trim can be accounted for by the level of Wildcat one bought. A standard, Deluxe, or Custom Wildcat. But, all '65 Wildcats regardless of trim had the same dash. As did all the full-size Buicks. And that is the dash that comes in the '65 and '66 AMT Wildcat models. The '66 full-size Buicks got a dash simular to what you describe. But, the 5 had the round pods low on the dashboard and looked simular, having a simular styling theme to, but not same as the Rivieras at the time (1963 - 1965) and the '63 and '64 full-size Buick dash.

The interior in the '66 AMT Wildcat model depicts the '65 Wildcat Custom with bucket seats. The upholstery, door panels, and dash all match the '65 Wildcat Customs other members in our local Buick club have owned. I got to spend a little time driving a beautiful black '65 Custom 2-door hardtop, with a red interior. Other member had a very nice '65 convertible. So I've been around these cars a bit.

Why did AMT not update the interior on their '66 Wildcat model in the day? I don't think anybody really cared. As long as the outside of the car looked right. Models, even promos, were mostly aimed at kids. What do they know? Or care? That would have been the thinking of the day. I recently built a virgin, in the box, AMT 1967 Ford Falcon. I can tell you several changes, like the exhaust system, were not brought up to date on the model. Look at MPC's full-size Pontiac models of the time. The '67 - '70 Bonneville kits came with the tri-cab set up. Something that was not available on the full-size, or any Pontiac for that matter, from the factory after 1966. Why tool up a new four-barrel carb and manifold when most kids wouldn't know difference? And you know what? When I built my '69 Bonneville convertible back in the day, I didn't know it was wrong. Nor did I care. The tri-carb set up was cool to me.

This brings up one more point on AMT's '66 Wildcat. The dual four-barrel set up was seen on very few '66 Wildcats. And most of the ones you do see were sold over counter through your Buick dealer. I think a few early 66's may have come from the factory with dual-four barrel set up. But, I'd have to do a little digging to make sure of that. This was the same with the '66 Rivieras.

Scott

The '67 - '70 Bonneville kits came with the tri-cab set up. Something that was not available on the full-size, or any Pontiac for that matter, from the factory after 1966. Why tool up a new four-barrel carb and manifold when most kids wouldn't know difference? And you know what? When I built my '69 Bonneville convertible back in the day, I didn't know it was wrong. Nor did I care. The tri-carb set up was cool to me.

Scott

In similar vein, AMT's '66 Vette roadster kit still had the FI engine option, even though FI was dropped in '65 when the 396 was introduced (or sometime very close to that).

In similar vein, AMT's '66 Vette roadster kit still had the FI engine option, even though FI was dropped in '65 when the 396 was introduced (or sometime very close to that).

Yea, and as a kid I may have still built it with the fuel injection unit. After all, that was cool looking, and the age of 8 I may not have know that had Chevrolet replaced it with the big block. As long as it looked correct on the outside, including the things like wheel covers. Looking like the Corvette on the Chevy's show floors and in the brochures (I'd look at the brochure, but still not have understood the engine change). If I remember correctly, AMT's '66 Vette came with the plain, small block hood. I'm sure I would have preferred the the big block style of hood no matter what engine rested under it. Today, I'd want the big block hood, with a big block under it. At 8 I doubt that I cared.

Plus let's not forget MPC's 1/20th scale 1970 AMX, which was just recently reissued. The whole interior of that kit is 1968, with exception of the dashboard. The seats (with required headrests) and the door panels were not even updated for 1969. Why they gave the '70 a correct dashboard and nothing else I really have a hard time understanding. Why not tool up correct high back bucket seats and the correct two-spoke steering wheel at the same time? Could probably still gotten away with the interior bucket, for I doubt many people would have noticed or cared about the incorrect door panels. But, the seats in particular really stand out. But again, by this time even though I was 10, I still may not have noticed, or cared.

So this gives you some idea why these old kit were the way they were. I'm sorry to tell you guys this, but models back then were looked at as mainly toys for kids.

Scott

If I remember correctly, AMT's '66 Vette came with the plain, small block hood. I'm sure I would have preferred the the big block style of hood no matter what engine rested under it. Today, I'd want the big block hood, with a big block under it. At 8 I doubt that I cared.

IIRC the '66 roadster came with both the small block and the big-block hoods, though the only engine was the SB. The 66 Coupe kit had the BBC engine. The BB hood was introduced in '65 and carried over unchanged for '66 (morphing into the "stinger" for '67). I have unbuilt copies of both kits ('65 and '66 coupes)--I'll try to remember to take a look this evening and see what the engines in those were (I didn't build those as a kid, so they're not burned into my "old memory" like the '66 roadster is.)