Model Cars Magazine Forum

2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 Review (Long!)

MrObsessive

Well it's finally HERE!! The long awaited 2006 Dodge Magnum kit!

I was hoping a kit of this would come out ever since the car was intro'd for 2005. Initial impressions of the kit are favorable.........but I can see where someone of modest build experience may run into trouble.......

Body: Revell has captured the lines of the wagon very well with all the little nuances that make this such a tough looking car on the street! All the creases and bulges are in the right places and the kit is molded with the front and rear facias as separate pieces

Pc160850-vi.jpg

Pc160851-vi.jpg

PC160862-vi.jpg

The trouble lies in the fact that there are very noticeable sink marks in the "D" pillars that will definitely need filling in. Also the sides of the body and the roof has a kinda wavy "roughness" to it..............a balsa sanding block and 600 grit sandpaper will be needed!

Interior: The interior is very well represented for the SRT8 version.........from the brochure I have, the seats have a subtle two tone gray touch to them, with red stitching. Seats are molded in a nice texture so painting these should be a snap.

PC160856-vi.jpg

PC160858-vi.jpg

Engine: The engine an approximately 16 piece affair and is nicely engraved.............it definitely has a Tamiya feel to it. The engine represents the 6.1L version and the block should be painted Hemi Orange, while the heads, oil pan, and front cover should be painted aluminum.

PC160863-vi.jpg

Chassis and Suspension: The chassis is nicely engraved and looks like it should build up very well! All the attendent suspension pieces are represented albeit in somewhat simplified form. Some painting differentiation should pick these out quite well. Brakes are 4 wheel disc with molded on calipers..........and an nicely done exhaust system.

Pc160855-vi.jpg

Pc160853-vi.jpg

Wheels and Tires: SRT8's come standard with 20 inchers and the prerequisite low profile tires. In the kit there's an optional set that can be used.......but it not a wheel offered by Chrysler. The stock wheels seem to me a little on the small side for 20"..........but this will have to be seen when I build the car.

Pc160849-vi.jpg

PC160859-vi.jpg

Glass is molded in clear for the windshield, headlight covers, and the rear tailights and the rear quarter windows, sunroof, and backlite are molded in a smoke color..............Nice touch Revell!! :D

Decals are printed in the typical Revell fashion which is excellent! But once again, the decals are color specific, so paint your car wisely! :wink:

All in all this is a very well done kit.............I should warn you that the box is PACKED!! If you empty the contents out.........you should have a contest with your friends to see who can put everything back together again! :lol:

With some careful prep of the body, this should build into a very nice model of one of the hottest cars on the road! :)

If you'd like to see hi res pics of what I've shown here......just click HERE, and click on "Get Original Uploaded Photo".

Enjoy!

Thanks for the sneak peak/review. I figured they'd fix those sink marks; I saw them on the test shot and would have assumed...oh, forget it :wink:

I'll be looking at trying to make a Euro-spec 300C SRT8 Touring if I'm feeling inspired at the time and if it looks like the AMT front clip won't be too hard to splice in.

Heh-heh...I was just getting ready to post my review but you beat me to it..picked it up at the LHS about 20 min ago. It's pretty sweet...chassis parts molded in black, engine parts in silver, interior parts in gray, body etc in white..I like how the windshield & headlight covers are clear, but the side and rear glass are correctly tinted.

After a quick look through, it's a good effort by Revell, IMHO. I'm going to do one stock and use my other one (on pre-order from an online vendor) as an engine donor--I want this engine for a '70 Challenger tuner-style like the orange car in the Jan Mopar Action mag...maybe do the Magnum curbside then.

Also, I saw at the LHS that the 2n1 '70 Firebird T/A is out...

Thinking the same thing, Bob. Was also wondering how hard it would be to adapt the AMT 300C to an SRT-8.

As far as the front clip goes, I think the SRT8 difference is the lower fascia. I haven't compared the two kits yet, but it will be interesting to see how the body width, etc measures up..

I want one NOW! ;)

Mrs. Claus has it on the list for me... lets see if she comes thru! I've been waiting for this kit for a while, and I want it NOW, also! I already know where that guitar is going to be used...

Nice review, Bill, sounds like Revell did it right this time!

As far as the front clip goes, I think the SRT8 difference is the lower fascia. I haven't compared the two kits yet, but it will be interesting to see how the body width, etc measures up..

I wonder if anyone has a diecast Revell 300C SRT-8 to measure; with a plastic one coming from that tooling next year that fascia might work w/the Magnum, and it (diecast 300) does have the small chin spoiler, but I don't know how "cartooned" the overall shape is to know if it would be a good donor for either the 300 Touring or to make the AMT 300 kit into an SRT-8.

Bill,

Thanks for a great and thorough review! I'll be getting two or three of these soon! A local police dept. has some Magnum patrol cars, gotta build a cop car out of one of mine!

The town next to mine (Doraville, GA) has at least one black Magnum and at least four black Mustang GT's. I've seen a blue/silver Charger GA state patrol car, and the other evening a silver SC state patrol car while I'm away from home. Kinda makes it easy to forget the Revell Impala police car :lol: I'll be picking up a Magnum or two when I get back to Atlanta next week, hopefully the police Charger will be out by then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
someone on another board is doing the front clip swap and mentioned the 300 is a bit wider

Yep, this thread is two years old, but what the heck, it's still a nice review and worth reading.

I noticed Michael's has this kit on clearance for $9.99 today. I might have to pick one up, as that guitar is just too cool of an accessory not to have on hand. :rolleyes: