Model Cars Magazine Forum

VooDoo RAIDER! LED Lights & Special FX Installed...How-To!

VooDoo RAIDER!

I am adding VooDooFX Lighting with Special Effects to the Big 17" Mobius Cylon Raider. This Custom installation includes the standard VooDooFX Big Cylon Raider Lights, Plus 3 Strobe Lights and 2 Pulsating Engine Lights.

DSCN7512R_zpssug8yxzp.jpg

You can get the VooDooFX Lighting and Special Effects products online at: http://www.voodoofx.com. If you call VooDooFX at: 1-650-568-3400 they can set you up with Custom Lighting exactly the way you want for most any project. They also offer Great Customer Support.

Voo%20Doo%20Photo_zpslewdsp8s.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Paint it Grey...and Black!

I started by painting most of the parts a Medium Grey. Then I added Black Sections and Black Stripes.

DSCN7438_zpsoo6hx2cd.jpg

I painted the insides of the Engine Fairings Flat Black.

DSCN7442R_zps5orqixz4.jpg

Here are the Fairings in place with the Black accents.

DSCN7447R_zpsm3wkowfh.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

Holes For Light!

I opened up these 2 Holes in the rear of the Body with a reamer, for the Pulsing Engine Lights.

DSCN7434R_zpshp99su6c.jpg

Next I drilled these 2 Holes, in the Front Bulkhead, for the Headlights. I drill the Holes just large enough to fit the LEDs in snugly.

DSCN7435R_zps9salnglf.jpg

Then I drilled these 2 Holes in the Amidships Housings, for Bright Yellow Lights.

DSCN7444R_zpsvbuiyufz.jpg

More Coming... B)

Shades of Grey!

I painted the ends of the Under-Wings a Medium Grey. Most of the painting I am doing is covered in the instructions.

DSCN7450R_zpssuhu2fah.jpg

Here are the Amidships Housings with some Medium Grey and Silver Details painted.

DSCN7452R_zpsaigyzq5h.jpg

Several sections on the Underside were also painted Medium Grey.

DSCN7455R_zpsa5cvt282.jpg

More Coming... B)

Drilling Some Holes!

First I drilled out the ends of the Laser Cannons.

DSCN7469R_zps4hjezu6u.jpg

Then I drilled a Hole in the end of each top side of the Wing as shown, for Strobe Light Wires..

DSCN7473R_zps1qaijia1.jpg

Next I drilled a Hole in each side of the under Body to match the Wing Holes I just made.

DSCN7479R_zps4vfvc8po.jpg

Then I drilled a Hole in the underside of each Wing, for the Strobe Lights.

DSCN7490R_zps59yxx0xn.jpg

More Coming... B)

Shinny & Dull...

Earlier I sprayed the VooDoo Raider all over with Testors Dullcote to seal in the Acrylic paints and give it a Finished Look.
There are 2 Cylon Decals that go on the Wings. Decals don't work well on Dull surfaces, so I sprayed the Wings with a quick coat of Glosscote.

DSCN7496R_zps4sprqdbb.jpg

Then I applied the Decals on the dry Shinny Wings. After the Decals dried I sprayed on a couple coats of Dullcote.

DSCN7498R_zpss3cs53xt.jpg

More Coming... B)

Plug It In!

I drilled the 2 Holes in the rear/center of the Raider's underside. The small Hole at the rear is for the 3rd Strobe Light. The Larger Hole to the left is for an AC Power Plug.

DSCN7478R_zpsqt4njod8.jpg

Here is the inside view. The Strobe Wires will have to split to go around the post.

DSCN7475R_zpsjmmun0ju.jpg

I trimmed away part of the inside edge of the Rear Cap to clear the 3rd Strobe Wires.

DSCN7508R_zpsawitbyjl.jpg

More Coming... B)

Resistance!

I need to add resistors to all of the different types of Lights. I keep the different lights in separate baggies so they don't get mixed up. Always add the Resistor to the Positive lead. The Positive Lead is the Long one. I start by bending the Positive Lead out to make it easier to work on. Then I twist one end, either one it doesn't matter, of the Resistor around the Positive Lead.

DSCN7629R_zpsttnbqlnf.jpg

Next I soldered the Resistors to the Lights and cut off the excess wire or lead. Then I slipped on some Shrink Tubing.

DSCN7633R_zpslpy884vc.jpg

Next I heated up the Shrink Tubing with a Lighter.

DSCN7635R_zps4bfmzonw.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

I've built one of these, but it was box stock. Voodoo FX wasn't around waaaaaaaay back then.

Can't wait to see her done. Wait, can a Cylon ship be a she?

Thanks Joe!

Yeah, these VooDooFX Lighting Kits make it easy to add all kinds of Lights... B)

Hot Glue!

Please read all instructions and Warnings about all products mentioned, before using them. I'm using a Hot Glue Gun to glue the Lights in place. The Headlights fit in 2 Holes drilled through the Forward Cabin & the Front Bulkhead Detail. The Yellow Lights go in the drilled Holes in the Amidships Housings.

DSCN7646R_zpsiyqjrtg0.jpg

Next I Hot Glued in 2 Strobe Lights in the Under Wings. I needed to bend the LED leads over to fit in the Wing. If you try to bend the Leads right at the Base Line you may damage the LED. So using Needle-Nose Pliers I held the Leads tight at the LED Base and bent the Leads over the ends of the Pliers. I added wires long enough to easily reach the Circuit Board too. Then I covered the solder joints with Shrink tubing.

DSCN7654R_zpsdizfwuh7.jpg

More Coming... B)

Edited by Ira

I've been reading for 'bout a year or so but You (with a capital) and mr. Teresi.. BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. Something so much else. I'll be having my popcorns ready in a minute. ;)

Thanks Janne!

I really enjoy John Teresi's work too, he is a Great Builder... B)

More Lights and More!

This is Diffusion Material for the Engine Lights. It comes in many Textures & Colors to make the LED Light look more Exciting and Realistic. I cut 2 pieces about the size of the Engine Back Plates.

DSCN7625R_zpsuavbnaxq.jpg

Here is the Diffusion Material glued in place behind the Engine Exhaust Cone in the bottom half of the Body. The 3rd Strobe Light has also been glued in place, with the Wires wrapped around the post. The AC Power Supply Plug has been installed too. Next the 2 Engine Lights were attached to strips of plastic to position them in the middle of the Engine Exhaust Cone. Then long Wires were added to all of the Lights.

DSCN7657R_zpskh99jej2.jpg

I made a quick simple diagram showing positions of the Lights, Board & Power Supply. This made it much easier to keep track on things.

DSCN7530R_zpsvy2sqlhj.jpg

There are 2 Red Wires and 2 Black Wires coming from the Power Plug. One Red Wire goes to the Red Wire on the Circuit Board and one of the Black Wires from the Power Plug goes to the Black Wire on the right side of the Board, right next to the Red Wire that I just connected.
The White, Positive Wires from the Strobe and Engine Lights attach to the Red Power line I just connected to the Board. I used small lengths of plastic tubing glued inside the Body to hold some of the Wires in place.

DSCN7656R_zpso8pqcpef.jpg

More Coming... B)