Model Cars Magazine Forum

Cannonball Run CBP 2012

slantasaurus

First time Cannonballer here - but, c'mon, 1962 is my favorite year for cars. Actually, might do something earlier...I love this idea. I've got to go to the stash and figure something to build (already have a 62 t bird going, so that's out for me).

All the work so far looks good - hope I don't drag it down.

Finally got started on the Ac cobra front to turn it into a Ac Ace. Need to hear your thoughts on wheter i m atleast going in the right direction. I a i m blind sat a little too long and sculpting on it.

Well here are a couple pics

the real thing

ac_ace_bristol_59_front.jpg

The model

ACfront4.jpg

ACfront2.jpg

Ron - I am in. I'll be building a '48 Ford. I am using the custom version but will be built kind of stock looking. Power will be a state of the art 1962 power plant. Really like the idea of limiting the build to 1962 specs - made me sit and think this through!

Patrik - that will be a cool and unique build - wish I could help you with ideas, but that is a blank spot for me!

The resculped nose looks like its coming along Patrik.

Thanks for those kind words

The grille on the 1:1 Ace looks a little taller than the Cobra maybe you could open up the bottom a little more to make it look a little closer. Other than that it looks like the sanding it smooth should finish it off.

I know i have to open up the grille a little more. But i was thinking that it would be easyer to do once you got the nose reshaped. Yup putty and sanding and putty and sanding and........... :)

Erik It s ok even if you can t help whit ideas. Actuallt there are models of the Ac ace and Acea. But i havent find any that would be in 1/24-1/25 scale so then you have to build one. :)

Patrik, very interesting project going on. Can we see this one as project in some Model Car show? ;) It would be very cool to see live, very interesting and nice project.

Little update for the Chrysler. I have installed some engine parts. I had to paint some black details for the valve covers. Used masking tape this time, I don't like painting another coat of gold, just because I would have been to lazy to use masking tape. :D

P1130182.jpg

P1130183.jpg

P1130184.jpg

I don't wanna be the negative nancy or Debbie downer here, but more the informative "tried that" guy.

A.R.C. I know you are looking at that 57 ford. Forewarning: the engine will not fit in the engine bay without some serious modification to the firewall.

I am building the same car for the fabulous 50s community build and had all the car guys looking at it too. The engine simply will not fit, nor does it appear that it's even supposed to fit, like the engineers just didn't bother to even test fit it.

For my particular model I was even trying the out of box directions with the supercharger!

Yours might be different, but to make sure, test fit everything.

While doing some research on old Fairlanes and the early 60`s I found a pretty cool article on a 57 and thought you gearheads might find this as interesting as I did.

I still am not too sure what direction my build will take. I`m leaning towards a spin on the car in the posted article with a little more to it. A stage 3 if you will, specially made fer runnin coast to coast all night long :) .All I know for certain is that it will have that tasty blown 312 in it. You were correct Jantrix, it is a McCullough Supercharger.

http://mecum.com/auc...D=DA1011-114932

.All I know for certain is that it will have that tasty blown 312 in it. You were correct Jantrix, it is a McCullough Supercharger.

That will be a great looking engine. It would be really cool if you could get some "thunderbird special v8" decals for the valve covers.

Edited by Erik Smith

I don't wanna be the negative nancy or Debbie downer here, but more the informative "tried that" guy.

A.R.C. I know you are looking at that 57 ford. Forewarning: the engine will not fit in the engine bay without some serious modification to the firewall.

I am building the same car for the fabulous 50s community build and had all the car guys looking at it too. The engine simply will not fit, nor does it appear that it's even supposed to fit, like the engineers just didn't bother to even test fit it.

For my particular model I was even trying the out of box directions with the supercharger!

Yours might be different, but to make sure, test fit everything.

Starting point:

168ac6e5.jpg

Engine will be based on the 390 block from AMT '62 Thunderbird. If I can find the right valve covers and produce a suitable decal, I would like to make it into a 406 - we'll see how that goes. The "Thunderbird" is too large on the AMT valve covers, I will try to acquire some covers from the Myterion 406s and see if they will work.

d8326140.jpg

G'day folks. Despite a nagging suspicion that 5 forums is 2 too many i've signed up here just for this build.

For those of you who don't know me i've been involved in this all 4 years so far entering the Dustball 500, NissCAR, Swifter Shifters courier van and an un-named Chevy van.

I'll build anything I can get my hands on but do have a tendency to get obsessed and build to a theme for a while. Current obsession is 60's Super Stocks.

I was planning a '66 Batmobile for the '12 Run but the '62 cut off has put the kybosh on that one so i'll have to find something else.

I still have a couple of 50 gal drums left over from last year so maybe i'll just sling them in the back of a '50 3100, plumb them in and overtake y'all while you're fuelling?

Although that plan ended in tears (from the burns) last year.

Hmmm, Z11 parts for the 409 were available in '62, Chrysler had the 413, Ford the 390 and Pontiac the 421. Mind you, Allison's had been around since WW2...

Plenty of time yet to decide as I have to finish off a theme build for a contest in May.

See you on the road...

Z

Edited by zenrat

Welcome aboard to the shindig there Zen . An allison in a 61 chev hmmmm. Oh by the ay me and the wife were out shopping

and on our way backhome i was shocked to see the remains of y'alls van sitting in back of a house back on all 4 wheels

in Girard Ohio,minutes from I80 :P . But really sucks is Summit racing as having a 3 day scratch and dent sale over in Akron

And we with no money.The wife as sad and happy at the same time.

i am thinking stroked smallmblock 377 with webers and cross ram from the 62 gran sport vette. fell out the back door of chevy

research and development :rolleyes:<_< .

Well good luck Zen and glad to see ya here

Michael