Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why aren't all model kits awesome?

That kit definitely falls under the "gross error" category, should never have proceeded, and is probably Revell's biggest blunder in 25+ years. The new '70 Hemi 'Cuda should win a few jilted modelers back over to their side though.

In Revell's defense, they did correct the "chopped" roof on the Pro Modeler '69 Charger R/T kit soon after it was first released, so they do sometimes fix things, but not everything.

Casey beat me to it. That Charger kit was a good example of how they do sometimes listen and are willing to fix glaring problems.

Almost 200 posts on this thread because "99.9% of the rest of the board says "we know that and we don't care"" ?? Interesting theory.

Let's see, 10,000 members, even if all 200 posts were from 200 different members and they all shared your point of view, that'd make 98%. So I was off by 1.9%. Would that get me fired in your line of work?

edit- yeah my math was off at first. Maybe I have a future as a Revell designer? :D

Edited by Brett Barrow

Let's see, 10,000 members...

But remember, 99% of them never post. We only have a few hundred regular posters, if that many. Hundreds and hundreds of people sign up as members and never do anything more. So the 10,000 number is very misleading.

I know, that was off topic. :D

I can vouch for the fact Brett has inside info very few of us (save for maybe MrKnowItAll and John G from Round2, who are both members here) would ever know or have access to, and I don't think he's coming across as a KIA-- he simply knows the facts.

Since I know MrKnowEtAll (the E is very important) can I be "MrIKnowMrKnowEtAll"?

I feel very honored to have achieved know it all status. The hardest part of being a know it all is, in fact, actually knowing it all. It's hard work!

But remember, 99% of them never post. We only have a few hundred regular posters, if that many. Hundreds and hundreds of people sign up as members and never do anything more. So the 10,000 number is very misleading.

I know, that was off topic. :D

I knew that. But I know it all, so of course I knew that! :D

Why do they sign up?Or is it only so they can trade on the forum?

Well, it is a little easier to navigate the forum as a member. I guess alot of them might not post because they are shy, or don't feel thier work is good enough (a common misconception) and the numbers would dictate alot of them don't even build models but do like to look at the miniature marvels. I guess there's alot of reasons.

Guest Johnny

I was a looker here for almost a year before signing up.

I imagine a lot wound up here like I did at first while researching for a build. Some may have not found the answer or maybe they did and had no more interest in the site other than to look.

I know another builder that does so on a regular basis. It is about the only thing he uses the computer and online service for.

He never ever signs up to a site or asks questions

Edited by Johnny

I think it's like the people who join a model club and don't participate in anything other than showing up at an occasional Club meeting and the annual Christmas Party. Some can't take part more due to either health issues, job or family responsibilities or just plain apathy.

I may be in the minority here, but differences in scale (1/24 & 1/25) don't bother me. Neither do the inaccuracies of kits like the AMT '58 Plymouth Belvedere kit (as an example)... (And PLEASE don't jump down my throat for saying that). I'm happy to just be able to have a reasonably accurate kit of that car. Remember that it's only a Hobby and NOT the end of the world if the kit is not PERFECT..!! (And PLEASE don't jump down my throat for saying THAT either.) I'm NOT trying to start an argument or ruffle anyone's feathers here. I'm just putting in my 2 cents.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument or ruffle anyone's feathers here.

I would agree that's the exact reason the vast majority of people aren't bothered by a slightly overscale engine or a roof which appears to have a bit too much crown. Without getting into a sociological analysis, going the more conservative route of toleration and acceptance is almost always end in a positive outcome for the majority, and make no mistake, the model companies aim to please the majority with each run of 50,000 kits they produce.

I would agree that's the exact reason the vast majority of people aren't bothered by a slightly overscale engine or a roof which appears to have a bit too much crown. Without getting into a sociological analysis, going the more conservative route of toleration and acceptance is almost always end in a positive outcome for the majority, and make no mistake, the model companies aim to please the majority with each run of 50,000 kits they produce.

Not taking any sides here, I would have to go back and read 11 pages to figure out what really is being said, but I think one thing, well two things that are being forgotten is this.

One, model kits are made for the masses, not for the die hard, rivet counters if you will(I do not mean rivet counter in a bad way) the guys that know vehicles inside and out, or the guys that want perfection in their model kits , (not saying anything is wrong with that).

Two, the members here dont make up a even half of the model company's customers , so no one here can speak for all the people out there that are buying model kits that dont spend time on model forums and if they care about if the model kits are perfect in every way

So if the masses that are buying the kits dont care if the subjects are 100% perfect, then I dont think the model company's will either, and a handful of guys on a model forum are not going to change anything.

If I am wrong, well then I am wrong.

Just pointing this out, you can bash me now if you must

Edited by martinfan5

No reason at all for anyone to bash you for anything Jonathan. You're only putting your 2 cents in. And I 'm sure that A LOT of members here will agree with you as I do. We all have a right here to express our opinions on the hobby without having to bash anyone for theirs.

A large part of the change between what had always been SOP for the model manufacturers is the thing we're all on reading this thread. If say Monogram put out kit that (like most of them) was a little wonky is proportions in 1988 unless you had access to the real thing, or a magazine featuring the subject matter chance are you wouldn't know.

These days there are reams and reams of data, measurements, pictures, color chips, option charts, builds.sheets production numbers, etc on even the most obscure vehicles. Everyone and anyone can access it instantaneously and see exactly what's wrong and what's right with a model.

Whether you CARE is another thing entirely, and I think a big part of that is how much you care (or not) about what the kit represents. For example, I care a great deal more about how correct the SSP Mustang LX is than either of the first two Hemi Cuda attempts are. I know both of the latter are wrong, but I don't care, they look fine on the shelf.

Call it "innocence lost" or something, but while it might be true that the majority of casual models don't care if Revell goofs that doesn't mean Revell should believe that no one notices.

Well,, here's my 2 cents [ which since we got rid of the penny last month now rounds down to exactly what it's worth ,, $0.00]

I've been around model cars for long enough to know what's good and what's not so good.

IF I choose to build a "not so great kit" ,, which I often do because the subjects often intrests me more ,, I expect to have to put more work into it.

IF I don't know if a kit is good or not so good I'll ask someone who knows or on one of the internet boards. Then I'll have a good idea what's what and if I want to get one or not.

SO ,, Yes, TO ME PERSONALLY,, It comes down to "I know and I don't care".

So, to take that logical approach to its conclusion, IF no-one cared enough to ever call a manufacturer out for making a gross error, there would be nowhere to go on the internet boards to ask if the kit is good or not so good. And IF you choose to buy a kit that's rated not so good, then yes, you know and don't care. IF, on the other hand, you choose NOT to buy a kit that's not so good, than you know and CARE enough to not buy it. ;)

i agree. building a model car is exactly like having an organ transplant.

No, but my PERSONAL choice is to know as much about every subject that interests me as I can in the time I have to research and digest it. Knowledge IS power, and understanding how the world works is, to ME, part of the experience of living.

I know folks who have no clue why the lights come on when they flip the switch, and don't care as long as they do. I prefer a more enlightened approach. B)

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

To go back to the original question, seems to me it's been pretty well covered. It doesn't make economic sense to make all kits awesome when the vast majority of the customer base wouldn't be willing to pay for every-kit-awesomeness...whith which I fully agree.

if every kit WAS awesome and cost so much that all the model car companies went out of business, then not only wouldn't we have any models, we wouldn't have anything to complain about either, which may be even worse.

So, making mediocre kits that sell well is the best possible all-around solution. <_<