Model Cars Magazine Forum

Orange Hauler II: Radical Custom Truck and Trailer, July 14 f'glass work

Looks like someone cut a corvette up, glued datsun z fenders and a chysler grill, then stuck a dump truck's rear end under the back!

I am blown away by this build! I love the trailer.

I would keep that engine in there, it just looks right! Have you considered a split opening hood?

Edited by zz383mero

thats awsome !!!!!!!!

love it

maybe make the trailer a tad less high ?? it kinda looks real big in comparison to the "car"

The trailer is tall enough to stand in, just barely (as it's supposed to double as living quarters at an event) and it's big enough to handle a full-sized showcar or whatever. One reason it looks so tall is that the tow vehicle is so low. There will be character lines that pick up the theme from the tow unit, and that should help to visually diminish the tallness somewhat.

Where did those wheels come from? I'm diggin it B)

The wheels are from the AMT Resto Rods '66 Nova, and one set came from sstacey47, and one set from bartster, to both of whom I will be eternally grateful.

And thanks a LOT to everyone for the enthusiastic response. You guys really made me smile.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks Gergo. I've been dithering as to whether to use the twin-blown V10 as shown, or going to something a driver could see over, or using the over-large new Hemi from the Revell Magnum (just because nobody would ever notice and I would really like to be able to use it for something). I had to pull the grille shell out too, as I had it in a little wonky and couldn't finish the molds up to it until it was square.

At this point, I'm pretty strong on staying with the big blower setup, going for a beach-movie useless vehicle kinda vibe, like they made in the '60s. Probably going to go with the overscale Hemi though, just to use it up, and go back to the original plan of using the Viper V10 in the updated Ala Kart build, below. :D

DSCN2028.jpg

I've been fiddling with doing a blower setup for the Gen III Hemi I'll probably use, and looking at doing a distributor conversion for it too. As you all probably know, the OEM setup on the late-model Hemi is coil-packs driven by the ECU. There are two aftermarket distributor conversions in 1:1 that I'm aware of, and I'll be copying one of them. 

It's all part of getting that kinda '60s beach-drag racing-movie  vibe, which I still think needs at least one blower sticking out of the hood. Old vibe, new tech. :D

I've squared up the grille shell, and she's ready to cast the body extension, using the shell as the inner mold. Soon as I have a couple other pieces set up to do glasswork, she'll get her nose done too.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 3 months later...

This one's been dormant for a while waiting for me to figure out the best way to proceed with the major body mods.

The grille shell is old AMT Chrysler 300 from a parts-pack. I've got a few of these, so I'll be using this one as a mold so the body will fit it perfectly. I coated it (after squaring up and tacking in place securely) with polyvinyl-acetate mold release (the green stuff) using a small brush. This will allow the part to come away intact after the body is molded around it.

Layers of fine glass and aircraft epoxy were laid up on the top...

...and the bottom of the nose.

After curing, it was trimmed back. There was an adhesion problem on the upper surface, so it was scarfed back farther to expose clean plastic.

The cheeks were then filled with an epoxy / cotton flock slurry which is immensely strong when cured.

Happy to see this one again.

I need more!  This is so cool.  

Thanks guys. Now I'm semi-stuck on how to resolve the side vent I filled on the original front fenders, and how to integrate the body sides with the rear fenders. Mockups, drawings, nothing's quite working yet.