Model Cars Magazine Forum

Found the decals on eBay. They are offered by Firebird Designs. I've had very little interest in the past of building Tom Daniel's Beer Wagon until I saw these decals. I live on Mountain Dew (mainly diet). And have loved the stuff since it first went nationwide back in the mid-60s. So I had to do it.

Other than decals, it's a straight forward, out of the box build. Paint is Testors One Coat Lacquer #1835 Lime Green. One minor modification. One of the taillight bracket was missing from kit. Even though I bought a sealed kit. This was not big deal as I looked at the one remaining. I didn't like the flimsy design of bracket. So I cut the other side off. Cut the top of the lights, and mounted them closer in.

Fun kit. I hope you like it.

Scott

post-10661-0-42154500-1400932170_thumb.j

post-10661-0-61176600-1400932200_thumb.j

post-10661-0-99326900-1400932227_thumb.j

post-10661-0-98977900-1400932264_thumb.j

Edited by unclescott58

Yeh, I remember the RC Cola Wagon. I believe it was done because Walmart refused to sell anything alcohol related to kids. I like RC, but when that kit was on the shelf I had no interest in it. It's my love of Mountian Dew that got me interested in building this kit.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

How were the Firebird decals? I have a set of their 69 Camaro Pace Car decals on the way.

They are OK. I had a little trouble. The larger decals for bed floor and roof, etc., took forever to loosen from their paper backing. Some of the inks used did not react well to Micro Sol setting solution. You may notice a little blurring/smear look on the front grille decal and the barrel tops. You also need to cut around the decal very closely, since they are printed on a white decal backing film rather than clear. In general I like the decals. They are not as good as those from Keith Marks, up in Winnipeg.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

Nice trucks! I'm more of a Coke Zero or Diet Dr Pepper kinda guy! Whenever I fill my two huge coolers with soda for our club, I have to be sure to put a 12 pack of Dew in there... otherwise I hear whining!

Has anyone taken the cab from the Beer Wagon to use on either stock light commercial or rat rod / street rod applications? I have a box I got at a show that has the tortured remains of several of these. Ah,,, so many ideas, so little time!

Thanks for photos Jim. Very nice job, as always. By the way, for Tom and others, Firebird does make the same decals for other soft drinks. And some not so soft drinks. So I hope this may inspire more people to build more Beer Wagons as something other than the Beer Wagon. It would be fun to see what others come up with.

Scott