Model Cars Magazine Forum

What might have been?

Harry P.

Had a feelin you'd pick that one. Especially since I took the other one. Do we EVER agree?? B):P

Not so much!!! ;)

Congrats, Harry...for inventing the 1970 Palmer Mustang kit 40 years later... :P

DDDYPalmer1-vi.jpg

Huh???!!! :blink:

What the heck is the story behind that??? (and BTW, I've never seen that before!)

That's just what I said it was, actually...it's a 1970 Palmer Mustang kit (built with replacement wheels/tires). Note the full width grille just like your photoshopped second picture. Granted, they did put the fender "eyebrows" on the sides of the fenders, but trim those off, and put on side marker lights instead, and you have a pretty similar front end treatment.

Yeah, but what was the deal behind that? Was it supposed to be a "custom" Mustang or what? How was that kit marketed?

It was "marketed" with a nice drawing of a stock Boss 302 on the box. Typical Palmer...what was on the box and what was in it had no relationship. No Boss stripes in the kit. Typical multi-piece body with molded-in interior. The kit was an update of prior years' Palmer Mustang kits. I cut the interior out, and put the body together and smoothed it prior to paint. The only non-kit parts were the wheels/tires.

Strange that they would manufacture a kit that was obviously so wrong... I mean the whole front end is completely different than the "real" car. :unsure:

That front end would be more accurate for a '60s Camaro!

I dunno- I'll have to go with the first version. With the full-width grille on the second version, it kind of looses the traditonal Mustang look. Still, the secnd version looks WAAAAAAAAAAY better than a '71-'73, which tried a bit to hard to look like a '69 Shelby. A fat, slab-sided, '69 Shelby.

Those kits are so bad, they're funny! I mean, they obviously knew that their models were totally wrong. Was it some sort of inside joke? I can't believe that it was actual incompetence... not to that level!!!

Mark, you must have some of the "nicest" Palmer build-ups in the world!

What a magazine feature that would make: "Palmer Models–When Accuracy Didn't Matter!!!" B)

What a magazine feature that would make: "Palmer Models–When Accuracy Didn't Matter!!!" :P

Complete with a comprehensive article by Chuck Most, on how to fix the problems with a Palmer kit! Here is a sneak peak at the article in its entirety!

FIXING PALMER KITS

by Chuck Most

Take the Palmer kit (as shown in Photo 1), and flush it down the nearest toilet (as shown in Photo 2).

O2chvy4-vi.jpg

PHOTO 1: The kit you probably shouldn't have bought.

toilet-vi.jpg

PHOTO 2: The tools you will need to set things right.

You know, when you look at the split grille of the '53 Studebaker, it could be turned into an early 60s Alfa with other Euro cues.

I combined a Studebaker and a Mustang! Talk about a Frankenstein's monster!!! ;)

studebang.jpg

And that's not the only weird hybrid I came up with. There's more!

supernado.jpg

VWcruiser.jpg

Impaler.jpg

impalaxie.jpg

40edsel.jpg

tribecaafter.jpg

cadivette-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...