Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1/16 70.5 Camaro ProMod

stump

Hey, thanks so much Bart, Richard, Romell, Chris, Mike, Nick, Clay, and Corey. :)

Bart, yes, the ball is ideal for the tiny areas along A-pillars and the likes. A bit bigger one would be better, without losing too much freedom to move.

And thanks for the tip on using the "snow" with CA. I shall be trying that, my pile is still here....... :lol:

Chris, yeah.....I got a bit too brave a couple of times. (see tip from Bart above :lol: )

Not so sure about setting the bar high tho....I'm trying to keep up. :D

Mike, knowing my rep for completions, I hope to change that with this build. :) Thanks mate.

Nick, thanks for stopping in man. Sorry I've been away to check on your build. I'll get to it though. ;)

Clay, thanks for stopping in again mate. Hey, I need a good push along most of the time. :)

No update as yet, sorry guys. Been MIA of late with too much happening down here....and work just won't go away.... :unsure:

Last night I re-started on the seat, as I want to get the brackets/tabs placement for seatbelts and other things all ready for my Dirtmodeler hardware.

As I'm using an old F/car seat as well (modified) I was having heaps of drama getting the old molded seatbelt and seat padding smoothed. :(

Several coats of putty achieved nothing.....but heaps of unnecessary sanding.

So I have it marked now, ready to cut the entire centre section out. The molded detail on the sides will be easier to smooth, and I'll graft in

some flat sheet to re-assemble it. Problem solved........I hope. :)

Ok, so the seat isn't exactly co-operating like I'd hoped. :(

Got the centre section cut and removed, then started to add the new piece. Only have one side re-glued at this point.

This was the offending detail (upholstery and belts) that I wanted smoothed out....Getting in there to putty and sand was being too difficult. :(

DSCF8252-vi.jpg

So I think I'll wait for my seat to arrive from Michael. :lol: Might still try to rectify this one at a later date........

In the mean time, I started preparing for #2 build.........................

Coming (due next Monday, 14th) from TDR, I have a 1/16 Camaro. Along with several key components to build a nitrous car.. B)

Not sure that I want to tackle the chassis in brass...as much as I'd love to, I think it too will be from plastic rod and tube. Easier to "weld" together.

And from seeing Rom's great nitrous motor he is making, I decided to try my hand at one from plastic.

The bore's are not to scale, though they are spaced at the 5.3" c/c spacing. They were stepped up in size by glueing sections of larger tube around them.

It will be a conglomerate of makes, using what reference I could find floating around the net.

Still plenty to go, and many refinements to take place, but this is what's shaped up so far.................

Cylinder bores....

DSCF8253-vi.jpg

DSCF8256-vi.jpg

Basic shape taking shape...( :wacko: )

DSCF8258-vi.jpg

DSCF8262-vi.jpg

DSCF8266-vi.jpg

Hope to get a reasonable amount more done to this later today. Still got to start on the heads, then sump and onto an intake of some kind.

Hey Dave, how's those Braswell carbs coming along?? :)

More on both as it happens guys, and thanks for stopping by.

cheers

Greg

Oh man..... Greg, that is looking just out right NASTY! great idea building from the cylinder bores out...never thought of doing it that way! If you plan to run anything in the cylinders, my suggestion would be to go to either brass or aluminum. I find the styrene just has to much friction.

I knew you couldn't handle not getting that 69 Camaro from TDR, do you plan on building it alongside this one?

Cheers guys. :)

Tyrone, I know what you mean. I don't know that I can afford to raise the next hand though.... :lol:

Thanks for stopping in John. It's the inspiration I get from guys like yourself that keep me trying harder. :)

Thank you too Bart. Yeah, the inside-out design was more intended to help keep it all square. Not sure it worked like that though. :unsure:

I may re-do the main block at some point, but this will serve as a nice "dummy" block for testing purposes.

And a big YES ! Your great "block build" definitely inspired this one. :)

Kane, thanks for dropping by mate. Appreciate your kind words man.

Robert and Richard, thanks heaps for stopping in guys, glad you like the work so far.

Well, I had a very nice surprise waiting for when I got home from work today.

Nice new 18-71 Kobelco blower, fresh from the bag, no clean up at all yet. It comes with short and long snout extensions.

DSCF8269-vi.jpg

New TDR Lenco, I actually got two of these......

DSCF8267-vi.jpg

A Strange Ultra case. I have a resin 9inch, but may opt to make a new one.....will see.......

DSCF8270-vi.jpg

An 11inch rear end kit. Still up in the air as to which build will get what rear-end.......

DSCF8271-vi.jpg

Also got some of the really kool 1/16 Uni-joints.

And.................a sneak peek at what's to come...........................Yes Bart, I hope to do a side-by-side build with both. ;)

DSCF8272-vi.jpg

First impressions ?? A beautiful canvas to work from.

Yes, there are little areas that need massaging, but it's gonna be a lot easier than resin work I presume....This is going to be FUN !

Thanks to Dave for getting something as ultra-kool as this, for us guys to work with.

It's not 1/12 as I would have liked, but it makes a great second choice.

A note to any of our resident decal guys.

We are going to need some kool headlight-grill and tail light decals in the future. please. :wub:

Thanks for stopping in again guys, I hope to get something worth while posting over the weekend.

cheers

Greg

Everything looks real nice Greg, that Camaro body looks awesome!,here's an idea for the headlight/grille-taillight decals in case you can't get any done,what I've been doing (like for what I've done for the Nova,Dodge Polara & Willys bodies I have), I put in a search for the year & make of car, go to the images & look for a good pic (head-on) of the grille/taillight sections of the car, print up a couple of pics (in different sizes), find the size that fits the area, & print it up on a decal sheet. Also Slixx is going to be making a P/M Grille/ Taillight decal in 1/25th & 1/16th, they have some pics of the decal sheet on their website (the decal is not made just yet, it's still listed as upcoming), & I believe there are grilles etc. for the 70.5 & earlier Camaros.

Edited by Dragracer

looks great greg! all of those parts look like they came out really clean in 1/16. i'm impressed. the body, i see, is printed in w,s,f great choice. it will take a little sanding and some primer filler to get it smooth but, i think the time to do that will more than compensate for the lost time of reworking and cutting and thinning resin.

i hope you're not gonna put a blanket on that trans or blower! they're like little works of automotive art.

Cheers guys.

Richard, thanks for the idea regarding grill-headlight-tail lights...I have searched and found what I think may be useful. :D

Dave, yes. I think these 1/16 parts come cleaner and better quality than the earlier 1/12 parts. They are improving all the time, hey.

And again, no. No bags going on these goodies. ;) :lol:

Bart, you do have a very keen eye mate. Not sure that was going to be picked up or not, great spotting. ;)

Yeah, I'm really hoping I can get around the size difference by making my own inlet manifold...................................OR.....

I could wait for you to get that TDR block, modify it, then sell me a copy. :P

But seriously, I'm sure I'll step around the issue with a newly tooled manifold......... :)

Rom, you knew I was gonna break down eventually, huh...... :lol: Thanks man.

Well, still no update....well, at least it's only a written one......been battling a stupid head-cold/flu since Thursday night. :( Been in deep slumber pretty much right through.

I have started making some 4-link brackets for the 11inch rear, so looks like the 69 will be getting a fabbed 9inch with the kool Strange centre.

Had my parts arrive from Michael on Friday as well, so I can start to get ready to hang the rear-end.

Progress on the 69, the 2 heads are on the bench, and the block has received some extra attention too...

More to follow as things unwind.......

Oooh... Now that I be liking. Lots :D

What glue are you using Greg? I've been using Plastruct Weldene which works great but can take a little bit to dry. I've heard of some glues (Tenax for example) which 'dry in seconds'. Maybe I'm just using too much?