Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 1/24 1988 Sauber Mercedes C9

BMX Addicts

With decals and carbon fiber it might look cool. As a fanboy i would say you could never go wrong with a silver Mercedes Benz. Then again,i also think it would be a fresh breath of air to see someone go they`r own way with colors. What about white? As those old SSK race cars.

Thanks Tommy, I just felt the words Fluorescent and Mercedes just don't mesh well together... Well maybe the MacLaren Mercedes Orange and Silver would be nice but I'm sure I will ruin it if I try to make lines and stuff.

This made me really happy though!!!... Back on track boys

photo-4_zps95871dfd.jpg

photo-5_zps88d05011.jpg

photo-6_zps83e24186.jpg

Followed the printout of the carbon sheet online and decided to go ahead and paint the chassis... Used Metallic Black instead of the Semi-Gloss so that it looks a bit more realistic.

photo-8_zps13b756ae.jpg

photo-9_zps400d9ae6.jpg

A bit twitchy but I think is OK all things considered :P

I have to find a small sheet of Green Smoke Carbon fiber to install in the rear (According to specs).

Edited by BMX Addicts

It looks great. How is the aftermarked hobby carbon? Any brand you would recomend?

Thank you Tommy, it is the first time using carbon ever so I wouldn't know who is the best in the market, but I found a page called Scale Motorsports and their product seems of a very good quality... Placed an order a few days back but now I have to wait for it so that I can wrap the chassis to continue.

I've got some toys on today's mail....

Ended up trading an unwanted set with a fellow member, for the Sauber Mercedes C9 containing the correct decals for this build:

photo-10_zpsdf2f395b.jpg

Also got a few spray cans with color codes that were missing:

photo-11_zps28d4b9d7.jpg

And paint brush paints to match:

photo-12_zps7fe34184.jpg

Also got the decal setter recommended for the Carbon fiber decals:

photo-13_zps9def716b.jpg

AND, a newly found product that I wanted to test for future projects... This product will allow you to replicate candy colors in very high quality (Or so they say):

candy-red-_-candy-gold2_zps4e5b7e89.jpg

photo-14_zps1b5218a9.jpg

photo-15_zps2a258c17.jpg

Still waiting for the carbon fiber and the Tamiya Fine Primer to move on...

Lookin' great!

I did a custom livery on mine, nothing wrong with that!

487348_524861050859644_1660203345_n.jpg

Also be wary of that PS Tamiya paint.. it's for Lexan R/C bodies. :)

Thank you Tomo, your Mercedes looks nice!!!...

*edit*... I didn't know the PS code was lexan paint... Is the only Tamiya code available for Gold in a spray can :wacko:

I have the same kit, looking foward to watching your build progress. You definitely spent some $$$ on Tamiya paints. They are worth it though, the spray better than any other brand.

YES!!!, every other spray paint I have tried splashes half way through the can (Even the clear is a pain to use)... But now that I have gotten a hold of the air brush, it seems an extra expense for Laquer paint is going to have to happen...

you need to rotate the moister trap the regulator nob is suppose to be on top.. and the little chrome thing at the end of the glass bowl it suppose to be at the bottom... other wise the trap will not work as it's suppose to. you may have to add a little extra Teflon tape to make it seal.. just a heads up before disaster strikes your paint

Thank you Derick, I just turned it until it was tight... Will take it back out and add some more teflon then.

Edited by BMX Addicts

Painted some...

photo-16_zpsb9e68f51.jpg

Primed some...

photo-18_zps96438593.jpg

Tomo: You were absolutely right, the PS Tamiya coded paints will not work (Even with primer)...

Still waiting on the Carbon Fiber stuff... The seller finally replied saying he will mail it "tomorrow" (All this stuff was ordered on March the 23rd :angry: ).

I will probably start working on the body decals in the meantime.

Help....While I'm not new to modeling (40 years plus), I am new to these road race cars. I picked up a few of the Hasegawa Merecedes C9 kits and I'm confused on what color the car should be. While the instructions say to paint the body blue, all the pictures I've found so far appear to be a dull black. Can anyone help me with this.

THanks, Vernon

Forgive my ignorance of these cars, I've always loved watching them but have stayed more towards older NASCAR, Drag race & Indy car kits.

Juan....Thank you very much, this is a tremendous help. As I mentioned I'm somewhat new to building these cars but got a very good deal on several Hasegawa kits. While they are not quite as detailed as the Tamiya kits, they are very fun to build and look very impressive on the shelf.

Once again thanks for your help. By the way if those are your kits in photos they look very sharp.

Happy modeling, Vernon