Model Cars Magazine Forum

Questions about kitbashing JoHan & Revell 442 kits

IIRC, a couple of you have used the Revell '72 442 kit to upgrade your '70 Johan 442s, so I wanted to find out a couple things.

1) Did you cut the JoHan interior tub apart and use the pieces on the Revell floor?

2) Is the Revell air cleaner correct for the '70 W-30 hood or do I need the Modelhaus kit?

3) Any pitfalls in this swap that I should be aware of?

You could also use the chassis from the AMT '69 Cutlass. I know several people have used that chassis with the JoHan '70 Cutlass. It may be closer to correct than the '72 would be as far as engine pieces. The JoHan engine/transmission would be almost perfect if it weren't for the hole through the block. The rest is about as good as one could ask for IMO.

Plowboy is correct about the AMT '69 442 chassis, as I've used it with a little bit of tweaking. You might want to take the radiator support/fan shroud from the AMT body shell and fit it to the Jo-Han body, as it doesn't have one. If you use the chassis, basic block and other running gear from the AMT kit, you can dress the rest of it up with parts from the Revell '72 Hurst/Olds, as they are very well-done and correct for the '70-'71 as well. The Revell interior is for the convertible, and has striking differences to the one supplied with the Jo-Han kit, so a fair amount of re-working would be necessary to fit it properly to the Jo-Han body. To fit the Jo-Han interior tub onto the AMT chassis, you'll have to grind some plastic off around the transmission tunnel. No other major pitfalls, but make sure you thoroughly test-fit as you proceed.