Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cal Drag Combo

I sure wish the chevelle version would resurface .

I've been after one of them for some time and I can't bring myself to pay the money that one brings

The Chevelle is now the Modified Stocker. Many of the racing team kits can't come back because one or both of the cars underwent major alterations later...

In the last decade, Model King released one that was a combination of AMT kits--the '79 Ford Bronco, '68 Cougar funny car, and trailer. Though it was a bit strange as the funny car from the late '60s and the Bronco from the late '70s.

It was the best combo that could be put together at the time. MK wanted to recreate some of those old combo kits....but many tools were out of service or not usable at the time.

I just :wub: the box art on these sets.

I haven't been a huge fan of the "Original Art" series prints Round2 has included in some kits ('76 Gremlin for one), but if they would produce some posters in a decent size (18"x24", 24"x36"?) of some of their vintage box art, I would buy those instead of, or even if they never could/would reissue the kits.

Back in the early 90's when AMT had the Blueprinter newsletter, they sent out a questionnaire about which kits we would like to see return, On this list was The Piranha Drag team!!

What happened? I do not know, but, the Willie Borsche Altered was on it and it got re-released!!

• 5 months later...

you hit the home run of home runs scoring this set. round2 could, and should re-issue this one and the fang = tang Shelby drag team. the awb falcon, trailer, and craftsman 64 galaxie are pieces that amt and the kats there will probably re-pop at some point,...so why not get all our cash in one shot. the fang tang team with 69 galaxie, 68 Shelby, and trailer are easy re-pops too. the only catch is..the Shelby originals had the clear teardrop hood, clear red tail lites and a rear panel that mounted them, and 4 chrome open wheels that are very nice. that bit of retooling should not break the bank at round2, so along with their upgraded decal sheets, killer new slicks and all, what are they waiting for....the indy drag combo kit, as it was called, sported the awb 65 nova, trailer, and 63 nova wagon. well, why not issue that one for all of us, and if the wagon is too much expense to repair moulds,...have the box art done like originally, but blend in a 65 chevelle wagon in towing the awb....would still be a great set....

Round 2 doesn't do any special runs anymore, Dave at model King said only Revell is willing, I had this conversation with him last year.

I wonder if Round2'd even consider releasing a kit with a tow vehicle, trailer, and race car all in the same box? They have released a few double kits, but maybe we need to start e-mailing them some more suggestions.

Not all vintage re-releases have to be done by Model King. Round 2 could do it themselves as they have proven to be the case lately.

They have seen that there is a market for vintage "original" style issues, they could start re-doing some of the combo kit as well. Since we have also shown we are willing to pay for them!

At least three of these combos are do-able with models that were released in the last then years or so. The '53 Ford pickup was released as a private issue with the Service Trailer about 3 Christmases ago. If the 289 Cobra was added, this would be the "Cobra Race Team". The trailer along with the '69 Ford and GT500 would be the kit pictured on page 2 of this thread, and the Model King Falcon with the promo style 64 Galaxie and trailer would make another one. Can anyone think of other possibilities?

I seem to remember the 53 Pickup with both the Parnelli Jones Roadster and the Grant King Sprint Car, but the latter two haven't been released in a loooong time.