Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Chevelle Malibu SS

Grumpa

Back in May of last year a good friend asked if I would build a replica of his '64 Chevelle Malibu SS to give to his daughter this past Christmas. Both he and his daughter spent two years building the 1:1 version. That time spent together built a very strong bond between the both of them.

As my buddy was forty-eight years old at the time, and his 1:1 is the same age. I wanted to use a forty-eight year old AMT kit as a starting point. Luckily a built-up one became available on Ebay and I was able to pick it up for a reasonably decent price. Of course he wanted it built with a SB 350. So using the frame from an AMT '65 El Camino and a SB 350 from a Revell '69 Nova SS I was on my way. Replacement hood and Chrome came from Modelhaus. Both of these kits also donated other parts as needed. As well as various other after market suppliers, part-box and some scratchbuilding rounded out the build.

Earlier today I posted a few photos of the 1:1 on "On the Workbench" and a few of the finished car in the diorama that I built for the car to be displayed in the "Diorama" section.

When my buddy gave the diorama to his daughter, she's twenty seven, on Christmas day. She cried...said he was the "best Dad ever", and that it would be a "constant reminder of the time they spent on building the car". He also has two other grown children who said, with no hint of sarcasm, "Thanks.....Dad!"

Thanks for looking!

post-9725-0-62698300-1364084625_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-73853100-1364084646_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-94411400-1364084691_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-67166100-1364084741_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-16232600-1364084776_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-52827900-1364084788_thumb.jp

post-9725-0-01391900-1364084802_thumb.jp

Edited by Grumpa

Mark:

Did you use the original AMT "Craftsman" kit?

If so, you get even more credit for a job well done.

You're not telling the rest of the gang that it started out as a curbside promo, which would have required a great deal of work to open up the engine compartment and equip it with an engine.

So nice to see a '64 - my favorite year for Malibu.

Mark:

Did you use the original AMT "Craftsman" kit?

If so, you get even more credit for a job well done.

You're not telling the rest of the gang that it started out as a curbside promo, which would have required a great deal of work to open up the engine compartment and equip it with an engine.

So nice to see a '64 - my favorite year for Malibu.

Mike,

Yes...it started out as the "Craftsmanship Series" curbside model. I have to admit that I actually enjoyed the engineering aspect of getting everything to fit as if it should. I must have test fit everything at least a dozen times prior to installing the engine and other details. One of the last things to go in was the front radiator housing. The battery and washer bottles had to be glued on first and then the housing slid into place. Even after all of the test fitting, I still made one slight mistake, but I don't think that any one would notice it.

Thanks to everyone for all of the kind comments.

That is probably the nicest Chevelle I have ever seen. Beautiful work and I love the diorama. Nice story too, I think I might have got a little tear in my eye.

Ron...you knock me out man! I hope you had a kleenex handy!

Thanks Charlie. Marlborough....I'm originally from West Springfield, MA. The garage dio is scratchbuilt to 1/24th scale. I built it as a gift to my son a few years ago. He loans it to me for photos. You can find it under the diorama section, under the title of "Back Yard Garage".

Here is a photo with a '32 Ford.

post-9725-0-66097400-1364466703_thumb.jp

The '64 Chevelle has it's own dio and it is listed as '64 Chevelle Malibu "The Perfect Day".

Edited by Grumpa

This still remains as one of my favorite garage scenes. I remember this one when you first posted your '32 in it. It takes me back to my youth when having an insulated garage didn't matter and all the 2X4s were left exposed. ( I didn't know any better!) This would have been my dream garage.