Model Cars Magazine Forum

2012 lowrider tour!

wgflatliner

• 2 weeks later...

Well, been awhile since I touched a model, been spending the summer playing with the 1:1 95 caprice

IMAG1250.jpg

I had to sell the 74 caprice to pay a bill but I still have the 79 glasshouse caddy in the works. I sprayed some

dupli-color metalspeks silver and then a top coat of Killer Cans lime green. Gonna shoot the vinyl top probably

in a darker green with matching interior, maybe with some white accents thrown in.

103.jpg

In wanting an oldschool feel I used the stock wire wheels with pegasus rings and 520s and the center cap from

a 59 impala for an old cross lace true ray look.

104.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well I must say ive been slack and not commented or posted in this topic for quite awhile.My apologies.

But it is good to see its still an active C.B with some good builds in progress.

Ive still have a 65 Impala in progress for this C.B and im hoping to complete it soon.

I just started a new Lowrider build and figured id post it up in here.

Amt 67 Chevelle.

mockup_zpsbd84b86e.jpg

Still in the verly early stages,so far ive set the ride height,removed the A pillar vent windows and started smoothing out the body.

Being that I wanted the ride height so low, it had to be built as a curbside.

And yes it will be Black :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Doc.

With the painted wheels as I mentioned before I use these.

paintingpegasuswirewheels.jpg

paintingpegasuswirewheels1.jpg

Being that they are 2 piece makes them easy to paint the centres.

I start by removing the rim from the tyre.

paintingpegasuswirewheels2.jpg

Separate the trim ring.

paintingpegasuswirewheels3.jpg

I dont have or didnt take any pics,but I strip the chrome of the rim (the part with the spokes). with oven cleaner.Wash and then proceed as follows

Using a drill the same size as mounting hole,drill right through the centre from the back.

paintingpegasuswirewheels4.jpgpaintingpegasuswirewheels5.jpg

Mount on a bamboo skewer

paintingpegasuswirewheels6.jpg

I paint the rims with this brand.

paintingpegasuswirewheels7.jpg

I dont use primer just paint over the bare plastic/styrene.

And apply it using a Iwata HPCP airbrush .

The ratio I mix the paint is 5ml of paint and 3ml of Tamiya X-20A thinner, shot at 20psi, pull back the trigger about 1/4 which allows close up tight spraying and apply 3-4 coats.

I usually allow a day or 2 for the paint to dry/cure,then re-assemble the wheels.

paintingpegasuswirewheels10.jpg

paintingpegasuswirewheels9.jpg

Edited by Cool Hand

Black Is Black. :lol:

I always enjoy your builds. I've never seen these Muscle cars being built into nice lowriders except your builds! I can't wait to see more.

Thanks Niko

Main reason I do the muscle cars as Lowriders is just to do something different from the regular Impala's.

Personally I think any 60's or 70's hard top coupe's make great subjects to be built Lowrider style.

I do have quite a few more muscle car Lowriders planned in my head,just need to get the kits.

And yeah mate, im always back in black. :lol:

Wow, thank you, Luke. Beautiful results.

No worries and thanks Doc.

Sure glad you advised me to get an airbrush, as it sure does make painting small/intricate parts alot easier.

Edited by Cool Hand

001.jpg

Picked this one up a few weeks ago from the Hawk, I was diggin the green but I managed to put a small nick in the trunk so my fix was some metalspeks silver. Gonna give the paint a few days to dry and spray the whole car with some dupli-color "mirage", I like to use it for a light flake/pearl look. I'll might have to look thru the Franklin Ink line for some nice patterns for the roof.