Model Cars Magazine Forum

78 Dodge Custom Van.....Updated 11/17/08

1320wayne

Here is my next new/old project. I purchased this kit as a partial builtup at a swap meet four or five years ago for a song. That's where the thin coats of red, white and blue came from. As soon as I bought this I tore it apart and then started pondering where to go with it. What I came up with is a mixture of modern and retro custom van ideas. Two years ago I finally pulled it out of the box again and started with a mockup of my ideas. The following pics. are what the body looked like when I bought the kit and how it looks mocked up on the tire and wheel choice, Pegasus Halibrands.

DSC01167-vi.jpg

DSC01170-vi.jpg

Then I started cutting and taped the doors in place as gull wing style to see how it would look.

DSC02140-vi.jpg

DSC02141-vi.jpg

Then the model went back in the box.

Edited by 1320wayne

When I pulled the kit back out about a month ago I decided that it was time to get back into this one. From there I was able to get the side and rear doors hinged in place and working. The front doors will eventually be hinged suicide style just to change things up a bit.

DSC09782-vi.jpg

DSC09783-vi.jpg

DSC09785-vi.jpg

So the next area that I decided to work on is the grill area. I started by drilling out the chrome plated headlights to make room for new headlight rings and clear lenses. By the way, this will have working head and taillights. Then I cut out the grill inserts and left the horizontal bars. This area will be replaced with screen mesh.

DSC09778-vi.jpg

DSC09781-vi.jpg

DSC09788-vi.jpg

DSC09789-vi.jpg

More updates will be coming soon.

Edited by 1320wayne

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh.........cool project, can't wait to see it done!

OH MAN, THAT IS COOL! I remember my Grandpa having a 74 Tradesman. He smacked a deer head on and it pushed the motor past the driver seat.

cool build, ill be watchin this one close.

Jay

Well, that was only a couple feet though :(

:( THis thing is going to be sick. I like the idea of lighting up the head and tail lights. Are you keeping those rims for it or going with something bigger?

I'm not too keen on the really large tires and wheels. They look good on some subjects but not this. I am sticking with these. They are the perfect size for this project.

Thanks for looking.

I like the stance and wheels in the first picture too. Groovy Man. How about an LCD TV in back and a Zip lock baggie for a water bed? :)

I had a couple Dodge van kits as a kid. I'd like to find a Ford version. AMT Vampire Van I think it was.

How are things in Florida? We're having typical November wind and rain this week in Oregon

Cool van, man! I built a much reworked AMT Chevy van 30 years ago. I did the same opening of the side door. The front doors were a bit special, at least on the passenger side, since it's got that thin strip between the side door. The Dodge is better in that area. I ended up gluing a partition wall as reinforcement, but cut an opening in the middle. The rest of the interior was scratchbuilt, with a bed, and lots of stuff. Very detailed I might add! Too bad I don't have many pics of it, 'cus it was stolen from a hobby shop I used to work in..... :)

Well, good luck with your project!

I like this, can you show us how you did the doors?

Let me answer this question first. Here are a couple of pics. of what the door mechanics looks like. I started by cutting the individual doors from the body and then glueing them together to form one door. Next was to glue the tops of the doors back into place and create new door lines that extended into the top of the van. I created two hinges for the sides of the door out of styrene and then a hinge frame out of square evergreen stock. I was then able to drill and tap holes on each side for the 00.90 brass screws to attach the doors to the hinge block. A little shaping for clearance and the doors opened perfectly. By using the brass screws I was able to tighten them just enough to give the right amount of tension to allow the doors to remain open without a door prop.

DSC09790-vi.jpg

DSC09791-vi.jpg

DSC09792-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Now for the next update. The chassis was next and what I did was to sub frame the front of the chassis from the transmission crossmember forward. I cut away the kit chassis and added the front chassis from an AMT 71 Duster. As well, the rear suspension has also been used from the AMT Duster kit. I am using brake rotor and calipers from an Aoshima wheel kit. The four leaf spring shackle attachments have been upgraded with Grandt line bolt head details. The chassis has been painted with Testors Pearl Purple and the rear suspension has been added. Next will be to add the paint detail for the front suspension.

DSC09793-vi.jpg

DSC09795-vi.jpg

DSC09797-vi.jpg

Here are a few more updated pics.

The chassis has been painted and the front and rear suspensions are in place along with the tires and wheels. Still plenty of underside detail to add but the basic work is done.

DSC09808-vi.jpg

DSC09812-vi.jpg

And I was also able to get the hood hinged and working.

DSC09807-vi.jpg

DSC09816-vi.jpg

More to come!

I dig the Van! And the wheels are PERFECT! Too small my rearend! I have not seen any vans as of late. Who makes a current van kit? I am in a wheelchair and would like to build an older ford or dodge flat-front van with custom wheelchair lift! (model and 1:1)

Keep up the good work!

Rudy