Model Cars Magazine Forum

1953 Ford F100 Custom

VictorSmalls

I thought I would share a couple photos of my newest project. This is a $5.00 built kit that I picked up at a local show. The plans are to strip it down and make it a bagged show truck. This is my first attempt at this type of truck so any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

This will be repainted.

f100011.jpg

Only chassis work so far.

f100002.jpg

f100005.jpg

f100007.jpg

f100008.jpg

f100009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like you have so many choices with how to take this kit that the options are endless. I have seen so many builds on the net that have given me some good ideas on this one. This is the stance I was going for. I need to figure out the front end but I have other things on my plate at this moment.

057.jpg

056.jpg

055.jpg

I like the color!! It looks like the same color that I used on my custom '49 Merc earlier this year.

At this point, I'd cut the floor of the bed all of the way across and insert a one piece tub.

The way I got the front down on my '53 Ford was to graft on the front suspension from the Revell '99 F-150 Lightning. That got it down low and gave it modern suspension. I can send you a picture of the frame if you're interested. I won't be gluing the body to the frame for another couple of weeks.

Later,

Dave this is looking real good, keep it up.

I like the color!! It looks like the same color that I used on my custom '49 Merc earlier this year.

At this point, I'd cut the floor of the bed all of the way across and insert a one piece tub.

The way I got the front down on my '53 Ford was to graft on the front suspension from the Revell '99 F-150 Lightning. That got it down low and gave it modern suspension. I can send you a picture of the frame if you're interested. I won't be gluing the body to the frame for another couple of weeks.

Later,

Raul I woul like some detailed pictures when you get a chance. So I can use them as reference on my next F100 build.

Later,

Yes I would really like to see a picture of that.

Yes I would really like to see a picture of that.

I cut off the stock front end right in front of the crossmember that supports the tranny.

DSC06057-vi.jpg

To get the ride height I wanted, the frame section from the F-150 Lightning kit is actually Z'd lower than the stock frame.

DSC06058-vi.jpg

Here's how it looks with 23" Pegasus wheels.

DSC06052-vi.jpg

The other cool thing about using the front frame clip from the Lightning is that you can then easily use the supercharged 5.4L V8 with very little modification.

DSC06059-vi.jpg

Thanks for the comments and ideas guys. I am not positive what to do on the bed but I am leaning on leaving it open. The plan was to build a airbag setup with some styrene and some o-rings. I am sure it will either get painted up or cut out and have something smooth grafted in.

Here's a picture of the '55 Cameo ProStreet build that I did last year. In this one, I tubbed and raised the floor about 1/4" to clear the suspension.

55PSPickup102-vi.jpg

55PSPickup104-vi.jpg

I hope that all of this helps!!

Later,