Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale 3D-Printed Small Block Chevrolet Engine...........

As TDR vbglossarlink.png continues to experiment with the smaller scale pieces, I thought I would show what we are finding is possible as the printers and materials continue to get better........

21773d1346177582t-1-16-scale-3d-printed-small-block-chevrolet-engine-img_1118.jpg

These parts were cleaned with a solvent and then lightly primed........no surface finishing at all................

More pics here................1/16 Scale Small Block Chevrolet album | Ajwheels | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

ajwheels

Beautiful work Tony!!!! Whst about doing some LS motors ? I reallt want to scratch build one but not alot of time. Maybe LS1 LS2 LS3 motors in 1/16th scale would be fantastic!!! Can't wait to see this motor in person. How much are you going yo sell them for? Whst comes with them? Please do tell :-)

Thanks all for the comments...........

Joe, it just so happens that I have parts being printed for the big block Chevy (no internal detail, though) in 1/16, and we'll see how they come out..............

Santiago, the LS engines have been on my list for a long time now, but I think I would do the ZL-1, LT-5 first, those overhead cams are just too cool......................

Jason, I have CAD files for all the internal pieces for the small block, and have been tempted, but it's tough to figure out what to do next......................

Terry, I do the CAD drawings and I gather as much info online as I can for these engines, and in the case of the small block Chevy, I have a copy of a GM authorized book called Chevy Power from a few years back, and in there are some basic, dimensioned drawings, and then from photos I fill in the rest......the result is not exact, but close and recognizable to most who are familiar with the part..........sometimes it's really just an elaborate sketch, but I try to get it accurate within reason...........

We (TDR) really want to get more of this stuff out there, but we tend to get pulled in a lot of different directions...........but we'll stay after it............

ajwheels

Mike.......that detail there was an experiment so I could see how those features come through the print process.............the engines that TDR makes available are essentially hollowed out, primarily to minimize the amount of material used (which determines cost), and because that internal detail is not seen..........but it is kind of fun to push that detail and see what you get.............these would make great diorama pieces, and if the interest was there, we could make them available.................there's a whole lot of possibilities here.................

ajwheels

How much finer is the texture on this new media compared to the Ultra Frosted Detail(?), which IIRC, was the finest TDR previously used?

To be honest, it's the texture issue which is holding me back. It's fine for cast metal pieces (engine block and cylinder head exterior surfaces) but that jut kills the accuracy for parts which should be smooth, like stamped steel valve and timing chain covers, etc., especially at smaller scales where that type of rough surface is more noticeable.

Casey.............the material used here is the Frosted Ultra Detail....................there are some real limitations in the smaller scales for these printed parts........those who are looking for a 1/16 scale part that will drop right in and look perfect will be disappointed.............and a lot of pieces are just not doable in these scales......................however, in a lot of cases, those who are willing to take a bit of time can bring these parts to a very acceptable level...........and it is a reasonable alternative to scratch building to this kind of detail, or putting up with a very funky piece provided in the original kit.................all of us have choices here, and TDR just hopes to provide a few more...........

ajwheels

• 2 weeks later...

3D printing is the wave of the future. I'm sure that all engines will eventually be available as time goes by and maybe the cost will come down too. It is a shame that all that detail gets covered up when assembled, but would lend itself to parts that come off for display purposes. Here is my latest attempt at doing the 1/16th BBC. Most of the parts have been completed with molds being prepared at this point. I'm even getting a set of Arias heads and valve covers done as well as a carburated manifold for the eventual stock application. TDR will obviously do a better job than I have, so oh well.

post-8509-0-43381400-1347418315_thumb.jp

post-8509-0-90647100-1347418360_thumb.jp

post-8509-0-13435900-1347418402_thumb.jp

post-8509-0-27057400-1347418447_thumb.jp