Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pro Street Community Build Project

1320wayne

Finally the '58 Sedan Delivery is back on the bench! I decided to check the ride height and at the same time if I have to modify the suspension. Rear tires are from AMT '66 Nova ProStreet and fronts are from Revell's Impala. White walls fit nicely to Pro Street car. :D Wheels are Weld Draglites that are resin cast by a Friend of mine. The Rear Axle from that Nova kit fits perfectly with its Leaf Springs, but I need to get the front end a little higher. Now the tires are just thrown inside the Fenders to see, how much I have to change the front suspension. The stance will be as it is on the pics. Now I'm working on the Headers for this one.

looking realy slick, this is one of the different ones being built!! will have to get used to the WW though..... used to seeing "Hoosiers" on them tires.

Made a little progress on the Hornet-

Minor trimming was needed for the side panels and back seat to clear the tubs. I used the gauge panel from the pro street Malibu on the Hornet dash.

I replaced the dash clock with a tach, and the steering wheel is also from the Malibu. Still needs some detailing and cleanup, but the interior is pretty much spoken for. The front buckets will also come from the Malibu, and I'm using a floor shifter from a Ford Courier.

a ford courrier? very cool!! thats using the ol' parts box. nice progress.

The trick to building headers that required complex and multiple bends is to use solid core solder. It's soft and maleable enough to bend easily.

the trick to building headers is cutting them off the tree properly....... HAHA, jokiing, i am going to try this, juct dont know whether to start from the collector or the flange?

The headers are the ones that came with the motor. It's a resin kit from Ross Gibson Racing Engines. I used Alclad on the motor and was afraid to use my usual wash, which is black oil paint cut with enamel thinner since the enamel would eat the lacquer finish. I asked in another part of the forum and didn't get a clear answer so I sprayed the engine with Future to seal the surface and used the oil paint wash. The motor took on a gloss finish and the wash worked pretty well. The wax did a good job of protecting the surface.

Dale

nice. heard alot about that future, have some but never really tried it. Ross motors are a little out of my wife's budget for my model building. they are very nice. and that wash just makes everything pop!! why do you oils? wont acrylics give you the same results?

Nice set-up. I like the looks of the wagon body on the Pro style undercarriage. Great looking wheels, too. I have a bunch of resin coming this week and I think the ones I ordered are similar to these. I'll see soon. Is that the full Nova undercarriage with some scratch built shims or did you splice the two frames like I did? I need to look back through this thread to see the earlier photos of your build.

Building headers is a challenge. I have been able to bend rod to simple angles with a heat gun and a block of wood as an angle guide, but the multiple bends required to get them around an engine bay are beyond me at this point. Keep us posted on your progress with this.

Tha nks for sharing your time.

Dale

Hey Dale and thanks! The Wagon body looks pretty good with the Pro Street Chassis too. The chassis is from AMT '66 Nova Pro Street. The Frame is stretched from the front end, and it's bit widened from the sides too. Then I added that small piece of styrene to the back, so now it fits pretty good. Other things were done by previous owner, I just did some cleanup for them.

looking realy slick, this is one of the different ones being built!! will have to get used to the WW though..... used to seeing "Hoosiers" on them tires.

Thanks Al! Yes, I haven't seen many of these being built (What A Suprise :lol: !). I'm still not sure about the White Walls either, since I do have some Hoosiers and other Frontrunners... Lets see what tires I end up with...

Well I got the other Header pretty much done. I have built a few Headers before, and I've always used solder. It's easy to bend to shape and it's possible to bend it back if it goes too much. I started by making the Header Flanges. They are made from Sheet Styrene and the headers cover them completely, so I wasn't too scared about even if they were not 100% perfect. The Headers were bent to shape and glued to place. I still need to make another one, but I ran out of solder so I must pick a new pack of it tomorrow. Collectors are still missing, too.

DSCN3309.jpg

DSCN3311.jpg

DSCN3315.jpg

Tubbs: Oil is usually used over acrylic because you can rub the excess off with enamel thinner and it wont affect the acrylic. I couldn't do that because Alclad is lacquer and enamel thinner messes it up. I tried using acrylic as a wash but it just didn't run like thin oil will. By spraying it with Future I coated it with a clear acrylic wax and could use the oil I learned about on-line.

Hey Dale and thanks! The Wagon body looks pretty good with the Pro Street Chassis too. The chassis is from AMT '66 Nova Pro Street. The Frame is stretched from the front end, and it's bit widened from the sides too. Then I added that small piece of styrene to the back, so now it fits pretty good. Other things were done by previous owner, I just did some cleanup for them.

Thanks Al! Yes, I haven't seen many of these being built (What A Suprise :lol: !). I'm still not sure about the White Walls either, since I do have some Hoosiers and other Frontrunners... Lets see what tires I end up with...

Well I got the other Header pretty much done. I have built a few Headers before, and I've always used solder. It's easy to bend to shape and it's possible to bend it back if it goes too much. I started by making the Header Flanges. They are made from Sheet Styrene and the headers cover them completely, so I wasn't too scared about even if they were not 100% perfect. The Headers were bent to shape and glued to place. I still need to make another one, but I ran out of solder so I must pick a new pack of it tomorrow. Collectors are still missing, too.

DSCN3309.jpg

DSCN3311.jpg

DSCN3315.jpg

These are the best looking solder headers I have ever seen. Better than the ones in the Model Cars Magazine "Scratch Building School" article.

Decided on a color for the Hudson... Testors Electric Pink.

D002-vi.jpg

D003-vi.jpg

Between that body and paint choice, no one will ever steal this car.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

Thanks Dale, you're too kind. :lol: Actually I'm not completely happy about how they end, but hopefully the collectors will help. Otherwise I think they turned out good.

Great job on the Hudson, Chuck! I don't know if I like the pink on it or not, but it fits perfectly to Pro Street car especially with the '80s graphics it would stand out. Nice work!

Before I get more solder for the other Header, I decided to start thinking of building another one. I bought Jimmy Flintstones' '66 Nova Sedan Delivery body, and it will be turned into Jeg Coughlin's car. I need to open the side windows on it, but otherwise I hope the conversion will be quite easy. I need to buy one '66 Nova ProStreet by AMT to use as a basis, but before that I test fitted the chassis from my dad's kit...

DSCN3412.jpg

DSCN3413.jpg

DSCN3416.jpg

DSCN3417.jpg

DSCN3418.jpg

Well guys, the SuperDuster is finished finally, I'll post some pics in the Under Glass section tomorrow, but here's a pair to hold you over until then!

The more I see the Embossing Powder as hood insulation, the more I like it!
SuperDuster247-vi.jpg

And what it started as...the bare plastic you see will be turned into the SuperDuster II, a second version done with my little tweaks to the first design. Leith over on Scale Avenue is getting this one, and this time, he's building it!
SuperDuster251-vi.jpg

Power for the Hudson...

011-vi.jpg

Is that ! factory chrome ! ? Nice motor.

--------------------------------------------

I got my motor kinda installed. It's just stuck to the drive shaft for now. I tried a '60s two-tone with French Blue and White and it turned out pretty good. I used an auto masking tape recommended by Dr. Cranky. Nice clean line. And my tires. The front are the box stock from the Fairlane and the slicks are Pro Stock slicks from competition Resins as are the wheels. I spun them in my power drill to burn the rubber...The paint is Alclad Magnesium.

Pics:

prostreet62jig025.jpg

prostreet62jig026.jpg

prostreet62jig027.jpg

Dale

I finally got my Duster project finished! Not real happy with how it turned out. But, it'll do for a shelf model I guess. On to the next one!

011-8_zps67f0d126.jpg

Is that ! factory chrome ! ? Nice motor.

--------------------------------------------

I got my motor kinda installed. It's just stuck to the drive shaft for now. I tried a '60s two-tone with French Blue and White and it turned out pretty good. I used an auto masking tape recommended by Dr. Cranky. Nice clean line. And my tires. The front are the box stock from the Fairlane and the slicks are Pro Stock slicks from competition Resins as are the wheels. I spun them in my power drill to burn the rubber...The paint is Alclad Magnesium.

Dale

looking really good Dale. it's coming along nicely. just to be sure, this is the new fairlane kit you are making this from, correct? what do the rear mags from the kit look like? same, only deeper dish? and no i am not talking pizza!!

Looks mighty fine in the picture!

i agree. i think it looks very cool!! but, i know how you feel, thats why i dont have any shelf models, i get frustraded or distracted and move onto the next one.

everyone is making great progress, i guess i better get off my behind and get going.

Dale, that is a great color combo, and great execution!

Chuck, are those finned valve covers available anywhere yet, I've got a Hudson that wants one bad!

Roger, your Duster looks great, stop beating yourself up!

• 2 weeks later...

Think this shows any promise? It's an '88 Buick Regal if you're curious....

003-vi.jpg

I'm not even going to start on this one until I've had some progress on the Chevelle and Falcon, though. ;)

might be pretty cool. plop a GN motor or make a twin turbo Buick V-6, put a wing on the back and get it low like back at the start of pro street in the 80's and 90's. dare to be different!!

I got a bit sidetracked by this Pro Stock idea I've got going, but I should get the fine points of the fairlane wrapped up in a day or so. I wanted to use an airbrush stencil I had from Coast Airbrush but the idea didn't work out on my test body, so I painted it black, acanned it and made a decal out of it. It's from a collection called Steam Punk. Dr. Cranky used one on a build of his. A '49 Merc, no doubt...

liiv.jpg

Dale

Finished! I will put the rest of the pics in the Under Glass thread tomorrow. I had a lot of fun with this and learned some more about building. Especialy about roll cages (they are hard to fit from kit to kit) and aftermarket slicks (they are so friggin' heavy they almost pulled my cars rear off). Thanks to all for your interest and support. I'll keep checking this out while I work on my Mustang.

Dale

y6sf.jpg

uavj.jpg

7gnv.jpg

Oh. I lost a drivers side back window. Maybe it will show up some day. Ever have that happen? Never? I don't believe you ;)

Edited by ScaleDale