Model Cars Magazine Forum

$425,000,000! What would you do?

Crazy airplanes, like a modern 2-seat jet fighter and pay someone to fly me around in it. Then I'd commission someone to build me a replica of Miss AshleyII. She was a racer with an all-new P-51 replica fuselga, Lear jey wings, and Rolls-Royce Griffon engine and contra props. Then I'd get really crazy and commission a replica TA-152H, a long-wing, high-altitude version of the FW-190. It would need a Jumo 213 engine (inverted V-12. A Merlin or Griffon just wouldn't look right) so I'd have some of those built, too. (Gotta let others in on the V-12 FW-190 fun).

Then there's cars. Oh my, the cars. I think I would have a Duesenberg for a daily driver. A Figoni & Falaschi Delahaye or two, a Ferrari 275GTB, 288GTO, 512TR, 550 & 575 Maranello. Hmmm...some oddball stuff like a twin-supercharged Ferrari V-12 powered roadster; imagine '27 T meets '70s F-1 for the body. Induction setup would be like that old Ferrari-powered boat, but with an intercooler in the intake manifold. What else...what else? Ooh. Yeah- another oddball powerplant. This one inspired by the BRM H-16. Get a pair of cranks for the Hayabusa-based V-8 and build a 6 liter Hayabusa- based H-16 in a rear engine car that's '27 T meets early '60s F-1.

Motorcycles...with oddball powerplants! A few years ago, a bike builder cut the transmission off a Honda CB550 engine and turned it sideways into a custom frame. It resembled an old Indian longitudinal inline-4. Do the same thing, but start with a CBX engine. Inline-6 chopper! Then, outdo Morbidelli. Build a bike with a 1.5liter V-12 and tiny bundle of snakes exhaust. EFI induction that looks like 6 tiny Webers. It would make the most incredible "tapocka,tapocka,tapocka" sound.

I'd pay off all my bills and give a bunch to my ma and stepdad so they could retire. I'd hand out some to other family members as well. Set up some sort of interest bearing account and throw a good chunk into it. Then I'd live my dream and buy up some acreage in the Black Hills of South Dakota and put up a modest size log home with LARGE garage and start up my musclecar collection.....69 Mach 1 428SCJ, '70 Buick GSX, 70 Road Runner or GTX, 66 Fairlane 427, 70 Torino Cobra, 70 or 71 442 W-30. I'd also have to have a built-up first gen Bronco, as well as a Scout ii and a Jeep Wrangler or two. The money would also finally allow me to do a ground up restoration on my '79 F250 4x4. I'd do a lot of travelling as well, mostly in the grand 'ol American west.

Truthfully though, the first thing I'm sure I'd do is tell my boss to "Take this job and shove it...." :P

Give my kids a million each. No more... don't want to spoil them! :lol:

Invest most of the rest in real estate, buy as many income producing properties as I can. Put a part of it in the bank so I could live off the interest alone. And invest the rest in guaranteed return financial products. (small return but guaranteed, vs. stocks, potentially larger return but no guarantees, plus possible loss of principal).

My plan would be to leverage the winnings into income-producing properties that could be handed down to my kids and become their "career" if they wanted it. Or they can sell off the properties and do whatever they want with the money.

Dad has the best idea, take it in a lump sum and move to Austraila for a few years to get away from all our new "relatives" ;)

Then;

Next would be bank accounts, spread over different banks local just in case something goes wrong with one of the banks, the other money is safe.

Pay off all of our bills

Get my folks a new Town and Country and Dad a SRT8 Grand Cherokee

My Sister a Hemi Challenger

Probably end up with a Jay Leno like car collection.......but maybe without the more expensive cars.

Get myself a house in the middle of nowhere with a huge garage/shop

Buy my folks a place in Branson and do something to fix up their house here

Get my sister her own place

make sure there's money set aside to pay for all of those properties

Give my kids a million each. No more... don't want to spoil them! :lol:

Invest most of the rest in real estate, buy as many income producing properties as I can. Put a part of it in the bank so I could live off the interest alone. And invest the rest in guaranteed return financial products. (small return but guaranteed, vs. stocks, potentially larger return but no guarantees, plus possible loss of principal).

My plan would be to leverage the winnings into income-producing properties that could be handed down to my kids and become their "career" if they wanted it. Or they can sell off the properties and do whatever they want with the money.

You know harry....WE MAY BE DISTANCE RELATIVES?! :D ...For Great Minds Think Alike -My grandmother!...I can definitly help you there harry ...for maybe consider a "Business Partnership"?...

Sean Brady

Bandit Properties O/O B)

After retaining a lawyer to act as my representative and protect my privacy, I would....

1. Make sure my family and my closest friends never need to worry about anything again through tax-advantaged gift structuring.

2. Set up an investment account for myself to provide some amount of income for me.

3. Purchase large quantities of income and residential real estate, for my own use and for rent or charitable needs (e.g.: emergency shelter for people who need it with some qualifications.)

4. Buy some toys- some cars, perhaps get a pilot's license and purchase a Piper Cub or similar classic light plane, and a private passenger car and some cool antique diesel locomotive and have a licensed engineer on retainer for when I wish to travel.

5. Start several businesses. The best charity is to make people less dependent on charity by giving them meaningful, decent work.

6. Start the high school I'm designing as my M.Ed. thesis- an eight-year program with professional training going from 7th grade to Senior year with two years extra to train students in various professional occupations.

7. Substantially fund several charitable causes that are important to me, particularly several charities sponsored by the Masons, several historical foundations and a few Armenian things.

8. Find ways to improve life for as many people as I can.

9. Run for Governor of Massachusetts and possibly run for President later. With that much money, NOBODY can or will buy me.

10. Enjoy life a little.

Charlie Larkin

Charlie Larkin

I'd hire a bunch of people and pay them good money with benefits to just sit all day calling up and harassing the bill collectors that have been doing that to me! :lol:

Brilliant! I think that's one of the best ideas I've seen!

start a new model company

I seriously have a business plan ready. If I hit it, I'm doing it. If you hit, we need to talk.

Charlie Larkin

I would combine many of the statements here- Help family, start some businesses to help others, charity, car collection, new house, financial security, tax shelters.

I have worked with/for NAPA for years and I joke that I would buy a store and become a jerk owner just because I could!

It's nice to dream but in reality I would settle for 1/10th of the jackpot because $275 million would push me into a higher tax bracket! :D

Brilliant! I think that's one of the best ideas I've seen!

I seriously have a business plan ready. If I hit it, I'm doing it. If you hit, we need to talk.

Charlie Larkin

im gonna dedicate my company to 70s era and some 50s cars that are long overdue another thing i want to do is introduce futuristic concept vehicles from various automotive artists starting with Colani.

i got my plan in motion the first kits i want to put out

48 Tucker in full detail ala Moebius.<-- im not gonna lie ill go all out and make this into a 60$ kit

82 Delorean snapkit with opening doors and aoshima engine system

Veyron snapkit with aoshima style engine system

80s malibu coupe

Ram 3500 reg cab shortbox or power wagon variant

current ford F350 with 2 chassie options

One of the earlier posts (Craig Irwin) said 1929 would be like childs play. You all had your chance and blew it. If I won, I'd probably die of a heart attack knowing I was that rich. Buy a hockey team/go NASCAR racing/WOO racing. Who knows. If I survive the heart problems I know I'd be filthy rich and my kids and grand kids would be set for life...

After I remodeled my home, bought new furniture, set up my kids, bought a new car, made a trust for them, gave a bunch to my friends, then all the rest would go to charity. Because of my past, I would donate it to AA.

I'm not realy greedy. I'd rather fiix up my home, maybe put in a pool, instead of buying "the house on the hill and the boat in the bay" But a Drag Boat would be hard to avoid!

Edited by Draggon