Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Chevelle Z/28 Wagon!

CarModDave

OK, Jairus..........I mentioned this was on the bench in another post so I thought I'd put up a couple of in-progress pics.

Based on a sketchpad rendering by - who else - Jairus Watson, the base kit is the Revell 66 Chevelle wagon. Motor will be the 302 out of the Revell 69 Z/28 along with the seats, dash and console. Color will be Hugger Orange with white stripes (of course) and white interior with houndstooth seat pattern inserts. The tires are from the Wagonrod and wheels are resin/aluminum pieces from Arrowhead Aluminum. Now for the mock-up pics:

ZWagonBuild6.jpg

The Revell Camaro grille was opened up and painted black, Z/28 emblem added. Still needs some touching up:

ZWagonBuild12.jpg

The rear seat has to be widened a bit to fit the wider wagon body. I'm retaining the wagon door panels, though.

ZWagonBuild2.jpg

This is the inspiration for the build. Can't tell you how many times you (Jairus) have provided ideas for modelers. Thanks again!

Z28WagonArt.jpg

More to come...........

Thanks Jairus! I just missed the auction where you were offering up the original art on eModelCars.com.

The wheels ARE great. They come with different rear offsets so I could have made the rears as deep as those on the pro street tires. The set actually came with tires.

I am thinking of a metallic/magnesium center.....??

That's gonna be awesome.

Does the cowl hood come with that kit?

Doug R

Thanks for all of the kind words, guys!

To answer Doug's question: No, the cowl hood isn't a kit piece. I used the entire hood from the MPC 69 SS convertible kit and grafted it to the outer edges of the Revell wagon hood as shown:

ZWagonBuild9.jpg

It's cool to see how many people out there attempt (and succeed) at replicating Jairus's art work into model form.

Dave your's is coming out great. Those wheels are indeed excellent work. I'm sure that the final piece will definately be up to your standards of excellence.

I am including a pic of our most recent model club meeting from last week up here in Portland. One of the members just completed the same project. It looks really cool. Please excuse the grainey photo; my digital camera is not the greatest.

MVC076F-vi.jpg

Well, finally got around to the interior on the "ZWagon" so here's where it's at so far:

Interior is done, just needs a bit of touching up. I went with the white interior and added Scalemotorsports houndstooth decals, charcoal flocking and some BMF on the door panels. Also, as I do with most of my street cars, added a PE keyring with keys in the ignition! This one has a "bowtie" emblem on the ring! I also changed the shifter and brushed on the "rosewood" Z/28 trim onto the steering wheel and dash.

ZWagonInt1.jpg

ZWagonInt2.jpg

ZWagonInt4.jpg

ZWagonInt5.jpg

Now I've got to try and finagle the 302 SBC motor and headers into the wagon chassis......

Thanks again, guys. It's nice to get "instant" feedback!

Gregg K. ........While I appreciate the compliment, I can't take credit for the detail on the back of the rear seat. It's actually molded that way in the wagon kit. I just added a bit of flocking to the center portion.

Mike ........ Thanks. I thought opening up the center from the Revell 69 Z/28 grille and using it would add a bit more "Z" to the front. :wink:

Mike ........ Thanks. I thought opening up the center from the Revell 69 Z/28 grille and using it would add a bit more "Z" to the front. :wink:

Dave, I opened up the grille on my Revell 69 Camaro with no problem. I do have to say it really adds a lot to the front fascia. I was able to completely open it up in about 30-45minutes. All I did was remove the backing with a rough file and ta-da!