Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Rare NASCAR WIP from me....

Billy Kingsley

Not that it's rare for me to have NASCARs in Progress...just unusual to post them. I either finish them too quickly or lose interest and work on something else. Case in point, I have not worked on this car since last September! Almost a year!

Anyway, this is Bill Elliott's 1998 Gold car, celebrating NASCAR's 50th Anniversary, which was issued by Revell-Monogram in gold chrome. Now, that's not quite right, but, dang it looks good! The real car was just gold...If I ever get another set of decals, I will do the more accurate gold body. The kit comes with two bodys so I could do both bodys and just change them, provided I found another set of decals and windows.

The car ran a full red interior too, which is not really common anymore. In the 90s though it was not too uncommon, and I think all of Bill's #94 cars had a red interior.

I only have a handfull of kits here with me in Lake George, and I am determined to finish this car. All the red is painted, except the window net, I just have to do the rest. It was also odd, as the package shelf is part of the interior but molded as part of the body, so I had to paintred over the gold chrome plating. Weird feeling, for sure!

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. I will try to come up with one of the interior soon.

Pre Decals:

71905006-vi.jpg

Decals in progress: (Very tricky decals. They had a tendancy to crack quite a bit, it didn't help that I was decaling an unpainted surface!)

71905013-vi.jpg

And the decals are done. Not a good picture, I don't have a side shot! The Bud Pole Award decal came from Slixx and the Winston Cup came from Cherry Run.

As it sits now, the chassis is about 80% and the windows are done too.

72605011-vi.jpg

It does have it's own album, but there's only 9 pictures in it, counting these, so there's not much to look at.

http://public.fotki.com/ElCaminoBilly/indi...lliottgold50th/

Yes this is the one I forgot the wheels home for! I will have to buy another Taurus to rob the wheels out of! Luckily I know of where about a dozen Johnny Benson Tauruses are, but do I really need 25 of them?

I think we all know the answer to that one!

That looks great Brian. But why didn't you use the white molded body that's in the same kit? Just curious. That's the other, more accurate version I mentioned.