Model Cars Magazine Forum

been thinking about this for a while

diymirage

So, are you going to join in on this build Bill? What is your preference?

I'll have to see what I could squeeze in. Right now I'm back to building the '64 Olds 442 that I was working on a year ago, but I'm having a MAJOR problem with the hood! I don't know if it's the humidity or what, but the hood won't keep its shape even after I heated it up with hot water. It was slightly warped and it just won't cooperate.

I didn't know resin had a memory, but apparently this one does. B)

I have an original Monogram Sand Crab-------that would be a good candidate for this! ;)

sand_crab-vi.jpg

Yup! That's it! I have the original box and all. It was started when I got it with some not so nice glue spots on the "glass" roof--------but it's definitely rebuildable!

Hmmm.........Red Lines will be tricky with those tires though..............;)

BTW, anyone here over the age of 45 remember the Hot Wheels cartoon that came out around 1969-70?? It featured the Sand Crab and the "Jack Rabbit Special". I remember watching that on Saturday mornings and thought it was pretty cool watching the cartoon, and playing with my Hot Wheels at the same time! :P

Thanks to YouTube........here's the intro video!.............

allright guys, i picked up my model kit today, its revells 67 GTX 2n1

as soon as my son falls asleep i can actually have a look at the kit to consider what parts ill be using but it looks like it comes with a nice set of keystones that will do good in representing the 5 spokers hotwheels like to roll on

when the wifey comes home i can take some pictures :P

BTW, anyone here over the age of 45 remember the Hot Wheels cartoon that came out around 1969-70??

Bill you don't know how you've answered a burning question I've had for decades. I've always called this car the Dexter Mobile and for half a lifetime I couldn't remember where I got that from. I still call it that. Now I know. Thanks for the great throw-back.

Dexter.jpg

I looked and cheap doesn't exist anymore with regard to redlines. I have a nice gold example with both surf boards and little use. That is what I will build since spending $50 for a nice antifreeze copy seems to be just a little too much for this project after buying the MPC re-pop kit.

you know, that brought something to mind

with gas over 4 dollars a gallon, milk at almost 3 and styrene kits at 25 it just occured to me that walmart still sells hotwheels at 97 cents

97 cents....you cant even gat 4 qaurters for that anymore

its like time stood still

Couple of pics for inspiration for you allmidmill1.jpg

If I can find another I'ld like to do ,I'ld like to join in on this as well

brett, i remember seeing this baby when you first build it

i looked all over for it to put up as a great example but i couldnt find it

thanks for posting it

(ill post a bad example myself later B) )

here is the start to my entry

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzAtMjAxMTA2MTItMTUwMS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzEtMjAxMTA2MTItMTUwMi5qcGc.jpg

it looks like i have ll the parts sorted

keystone classics from the kit to represent the 5 spokes

tires from the parts box to beefen up the rear

a rear spoiler from a grand prix stock car

and the kit supplied hemi (with a partsbox aircleaner that is similar to the kit version, but chrome)

looks like the only part i still need to figure out is the pipes, the hotwheels has pipes molded into the chassis that exit right before the rear wheels

(very similar to what i did on roscoes cruiser)

utf-8BSU1HMDAyODctMjAxMTA1MjItMjAzMS5qcGc.jpg

i put together all the parts of the hemi that get the same paint and i started putting the body together

the main "issue" will be figuring out how to do the paint scheme....do i try to paint the sides red first, then tape of the trim and paint it charcoal

or

do i paint the whole thing and try to trim the yellow out of the kits decal and put the remaining red line on ?

Jim, my boy has a 2009 or so custom 442 in a purle/green colour, but without the stripes, its a ncie little car

i dont supose you have a strip version of the corvair you'd like to replicate do you (wink wink)

I'm still thinking about either the Nomad or the 442 if I can manage to dig them up. If I can't, there is still the "Vairy-8", which is a mid-engined, V-8 powered Corvair coupe. I've been planning on doing something along those lines for a while now and this might just be the time to do it.

I had started one a while back for a simular build on another board but it lost momentum. Just want to share a pic or three with you guys for inspiration but it won't qualify for the build, and, I doubt I could get it done in time with all my current responsibilities.

DSC00621.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

DSC00653.jpg

Has an AMT Parts Pack hemi with Flamethrower magneto, rear transaxle and suspension from a GT40, pinched frame, modified track nose, full louvered belly pan, disks and tires from a Monogram Green Hornet and a lot of other bits & pieces. I'm sure I will finish it someday as it looks really cool. Was going to paint it to match the Mooneyes ones.

let us know what you decide Jim and ill ad you to the list

Andrew, thats a nice start, hopefully you get to finish it someday

as for my build, i got about 20 minutes into it when i asked the wifey if she thought the keystone klassics looked good and she awnsered, not really

she said she thought she had seen some better matching rims in my partsbox somewhere (i musta asked her opion on them before) so i told her to look for them

sure enough she found a set of porsche rollers that came with a VW street machine bug

she did tell me to loose the pink on them (the VW was molded in pink and i hadnt bothered to paint the wheelbacks yet)

so now it will roll on porsche rims B)

oh, and the body is in primer and the hemi is mostly put together

Okay, kept at it and managed to find a fair copy of an Antifreeze colored Deora for my build. (Paint on this thing is not that great....) Body (of the 1/25th) is glued together so now attention is turned to the chassis and wheels.

P1010709-vi.jpg

:(

P.S. NICE START Andrew! I hope you finish it.

Edited by Jairus

That's my sentimental favorite Jairus. It was my very first Hot Wheels back in '68. I still have it and it's not lost, but the surf boards were absorbed by the toy box about 1973. A slightly chipped but decent and the wheels are straight. Since mine was green I look forward to your project.

nice Jairus,

i like that one way bestester then the rootbeer coloured one

almost feel like the rims are sportier aswell

looks like you glued in the front windshield frame ?

im planning on doing the same with mine, dont see the need to open it :(

i had a little look at the GTX today and i noticed something...with the wider rear tires im not going to clear the rear fenders so i will be narrowing the rear axle

this will move the tires in so the body will clear and it will move the springs in so that they will sit on top of the frame rails rather then besides them...should be about a 4 inch lift but i can live with that

Quick mock-up to check proportions. Couldn't find the right set of wheels yet so went with a blank set of aluminum rims that I can inset the right faces.

Hate the boards as they are not correct compared to the 1/1 items.

But, it's all about matching the Hot Wheels car isn't it?

Anyone found a set of wheels that are close? 1966 - 67 Chevelle maybe?

P1010723-vi.jpg

;)

hey, thats a good start Jairus

those boards look good to me

(not sure if they look right to 1:1s, ive only played with the ones equiped with sails before) but they look good compared to the hotwheel and that is what we're going for :D

heres a quick mockup of mine, this is how the rideheight will be with the narrowed rear end

it really shows off the rims i found, their porsche rollers that came with a VW bug streetrod

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMzQtMjAxMTA2MTUtMjIzMi5qcGc.jpg