Model Cars Magazine Forum

Midnight Marauder

I recently won an auction on our swedish version of "evilbay", this custom painted Stude, Miss Deal. I have a slight memory of seeing it in a magazine, like SAE, way back. Anyone else that remember seeing it??

http://www.tradera.com/revell-1953-studebaker-funny-car-skala-1-25-auktion_180901_171908563

Edited by Modellpularn

Modellpularn, I have been forwarded your emails, and will respond soon.

I built this model around 1994 or '95, I was approximately 19 years old at the time. During those years, I was attending many model car shows in the Southeastern USA, and I know I took it to several of them. Once I was finished showing it, I donated it to one of the area model clubs, probably in 1996 or '97. As a fund raiser, they auctioned it off at their annual show. If I recall correctly, an acquaintance from Knoxville, Tennessee, won it, and that was the last time I saw it in person. And yes, it appeared in an article written by Pat Covert for the April 1996 issue of SAE.

I am quite amazed this model is still around, and that it is currently in Sweden is just astonishing! I have no idea how it made it's way to you, but it must have a very interesting story. B)

Here's a few old photos I found. I used dry transfer lettering on clear decal film for the decals, and the skyline paintjob was simply masked and airbrushed. Other than that, I built it straight out-of-the-box.

Please keep us updated, I am very much looking forward to seeing your work on it! :)

Stude1-vi.png

Stude3-vi.png

Stude2-vi.png

Trae,

Just a quick observation: I see you painted the chassis and roll bar blue, they are now black. Strange... And some other rear wheels and tires came with it. Someone must have taken it apart, there's a lot of parts missing! Maybe swapped the chassis... I have a Miss Deal kit that I can borrow parts from, to get it looking right again. I'm thinking of making a new firewall, 'cus the kit piece is weird, doesn't fit. It's like Revell had something else in mind with this kit. I will also do something about the headers, so they exit at that opening in the body.

I haven't asked the seller here in Sweden where he got it, but I would think he found it on ebay. I'll check with him.

Updates will follow.