Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 GMC Pickup Project...

Below are some early pics of my current build, a 1977 GMC Pickup utilizing the Revell kit. I am going for the big diameter wheel airbagged look, popular in 1:1 similar to this.....

photo%201.png_zpsujklqprv.jpeg

This required scratch building a "raised floor" configuration inner bed structure and the kits original one was terrible anyway. This is done in 1:1 trucks to clear the frame modifications and air ride, fuel tank etc. when running large diameter wheels and alot of drop...

BedinJigPic_zps685a2c6e.jpg

Its about half as deep as seen in this picture...

BedComparison_zpsadea93a6.jpg

I then made fender wells styled after the factory ones only larger...

BedComparison_zpsadea93a6.jpg

Then hit the entire assembly with some texture that will leave it looking like a colormatched Line-X after painted with the remaining truck components...

photo%203_zpsyfpolsr1.jpg

This allowed the truck to sit like this with scale 24"/26" wheels....

photo%202%201_zps6bvpgcwp.jpg

I also used the same styrene I used for the bed floor to make an inner tailgate panel that matches the ribs in the bed floor...

photo%201%201_zpsmpissx44.jpg

Til next update........

VERY nice! Just don't get upset when you can't find your thread when they move it to the trucks section. It happens to all of us from time to time.

What did you use for the "line-x" texture? It looks great! I typically use un-thinned acrylic craft paint (like apple barrel) through my external mix, siphon feed Paasche with a #5 tip and about 15PSI.

I love the bagger look on these boxy Chevies and yours is certainly shaping up!

VERY nice! Just don't get upset when you can't find your thread when they move it to the trucks section. It happens to all of us from time to time.

What did you use for the "line-x" texture? It looks great! I typically use un-thinned acrylic craft paint (like apple barrel) through my external mix, siphon feed Paasche with a #5 tip and about 15PSI.

I love the bagger look on these boxy Chevies and yours is certainly shaping up!

I actually just requested the thread be moved. I used to post on here alot but I am a little rusty. I use Rustoleum "Textured" for the Line-X and after paint it really takes on a colormatched Line-X look.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some in progress pics for this one.....trying to get it finished for the Roanoke, VA show this weekend....

Interior is now in....

photo%203%204_zpsowj2khhf.jpg

Baremetal foil on the lower rear window trim and wood bed floor is in place. I used Detail Master strips and African Zebra Wood for the wood...

fd93e4de-acba-4060-8281-16e573004104_zps

Here is a side mockup shot taken late last night....

photo%203%203_zpstyemrfxr.jpg

and one from the rear...

photo%201%205_zpsklatrcqj.jpg

Thanks for looking and the comments I haven't been able to respond to. I have been working alot due to the snow storms we received here in TN, 80 hours in 4 days at the firestation last week.