Model Cars Magazine Forum

Civic EK hatchback

jamiko

This is a build I started about 5 years ago that just wont go away :lol:. Two botched paint jobs, a year just to get the motor to fit (in 1:1 a K-20a swap is just about a bolt in deal not so in 1:25 scale) a 3000 mile move, and going back to college later and I'm still trying to get this thing done for that contest that's right around the corner. The motor is a K20a out of the Revell RSX kit with a turbo from some aftermarket company that I can't remember. The header, fuel rail, tranny cable/linkage, turbo piping, engine mounts and the turbo impeller are scratch built. Just about everything else in the engine bay in modified in some way including the bay itself (shaved and the inner fender wells modded to fit the wheel tire combo). The suspension is a combination of kit and scratch built parts and, the seat belts a ribbon and Detail Master. Hope you guys dig on the import scene.

post-5052-0-70107900-1363580961_thumb.jp

post-5052-0-86965200-1363580971_thumb.jp

post-5052-0-01179200-1363580982_thumb.jp

post-5052-0-23774500-1363580992_thumb.jp

post-5052-0-81420800-1363581015_thumb.jp

post-5052-0-88817700-1363581026_thumb.jp

Lookin nice! Love the story as it matches mine too! I've been "working on" a detailed Si Coupe for about 8+ years, going from one interation to another and back again, seems to never get done! I thought about swapping in the K from the RSX kit that I also have, but decided to keep the b18 and slap a turbo on it. I had WIP pics up but with some of the forum changes, they're gone and I wasn't able to post again so I gave up. I'll have to try again soon. I'm really diggin your exhaust piping, came out really nice! Is it painted with Alcad or is it just aluminum tubing? I'm currently having a difficult time routing my alum. piping the way I want and keeping it one piece. I'm now fabbing up various elbows and straights with the welded together look to see if that comes out ok. You've done an outstanding job so far, gotta step my game up now!

Lookin nice! Love the story as it matches mine too! I've been "working on" a detailed Si Coupe for about 8+ years, going from one interation to another and back again, seems to never get done! I thought about swapping in the K from the RSX kit that I also have, but decided to keep the b18 and slap a turbo on it. I had WIP pics up but with some of the forum changes, they're gone and I wasn't able to post again so I gave up. I'll have to try again soon. I'm really diggin your exhaust piping, came out really nice! Is it painted with Alcad or is it just aluminum tubing? I'm currently having a difficult time routing my alum. piping the way I want and keeping it one piece. I'm now fabbing up various elbows and straights with the welded together look to see if that comes out ok. You've done an outstanding job so far, gotta step my game up now!

Good call on keeping the B18, swapping in the K-series is stupid hard. It took a year of consistent work it just does not want to fit. The header is made from aluminium rod the rest is all solder that I hit with some Scotch Brite. The Solder is a bit softer and easier to bend than the aluminium rod and, it doesn't kink as easily. Good luck with your Honda project hit me with some picks when you get a chance.

It is crazy the "mess" that I made with my Civic over the years, I was recently contemplating buying a new coupe kit and starting over. The front and rear suspension is unsalvageable as is the front subframe/engine cradle so all of that will be scratchbuilt. I'm probably halfway with the shaved bay and was just starting work on the front-end chassis rails, framework, and wheel wells. It's a lot of work no doubt! And now that I destroyed the kit engine subframe, I plan on building Hasport or similar type engine mounnts with hopes that I can have it realistic enough and sitting in the proper location without a ton of cursing! I admire your patience working with your K swap! That's awesome! I will add some more pics to my computer of the tiny amount of work I've been able to do so far this year and try again to get a post going. So how far are you away from completion?

It is crazy the "mess" that I made with my Civic over the years, I was recently contemplating buying a new coupe kit and starting over. The front and rear suspension is unsalvageable as is the front subframe/engine cradle so all of that will be scratchbuilt. I'm probably halfway with the shaved bay and was just starting work on the front-end chassis rails, framework, and wheel wells. It's a lot of work no doubt! And now that I destroyed the kit engine subframe, I plan on building Hasport or similar type engine mounnts with hopes that I can have it realistic enough and sitting in the proper location without a ton of cursing! I admire your patience working with your K swap! That's awesome! I will add some more pics to my computer of the tiny amount of work I've been able to do so far this year and try again to get a post going. So how far are you away from completion?

I would say I'm about 80 percent done. Paint, interior/chassis/rim detailing and then final assembly. I'll hopefully have this thing wrapped up in the next few months. Right now I'm just waiting for warmer weather so I can paint.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

if you can by chance remember the place you got the turbo from, please post or message me. Im in the midst of building myself a supra and one of these ek9s and am just short of giving my left nut for some

Sorry for the late response I haven't been on the forum in a loooong time. I have no idea where that turbo kit came from but, if you still need one I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-Meister-Resin-Turbo-Upgrade-Kit-for-1-24-Tamiya-Toyota-Supra-2JZ-GTE-/151433558350?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item234224b94e