Model Cars Magazine Forum

1:8 scratch deuce

Ognib

Ray, why not add the body line feature to the buck after it is initially shaped, it would be a lot easier to add it rather than try and sculpt it in to the buck, you could use brass or even wood, then tack it or screw it on possibly, then work the fastener heads last.

just a thought

Thanks, Bill.

One of the best things about doing this...figguring out the most effective way to get it done.

Educating myself...trial & error...the scientific method.

It's like...how ya gonna know what to do, unless you know what to do.

Edited by Ognib

A lot of fabrication going on this page.

Thousands of man hours invested in this build.

You'll notice that their bucks are not solid.

this particular shop has every example of state of the art shaping equipment.

They don't use the bucks as forming fixtures, rather only as a template to fit the panel to, as it's formed on the machinery.

A far different approach to shaping, than hand hammering into hollows for shrinking, working over shaping post & hammering directly on the buck.

But fascinating to see, none the less.

Some most excellent work happening here!

http://www.realsteel.com/projects/aluminum-double-dozen/?album=17&gallery=72#gallery

Edited by Ognib

Bryan, yes great work.

Here's one that Marcelle did on a Chip Foose design.

Open the photo album for the car...the entire build is there.

Marcelle is one of the very elite fabricators out there.

Observe how perfectly the hood sides flow through the doors on to the quarter panels.

Fantastic work!

http://www.chipfoose.com/ws_display.asp?filter=Shockwave

I'm still saving up my lunch money for a tig unit.

Continuing my research as to what's out there for a unit, that I can justify the cost, for a strictly hobby shop application.

I did check out a 110 volt Miller unit at a local supply store & it's well over $1,000...can't hack that cost for what I'm doing.

At this point the unit sold by Eastwood, that I linked to on page 1 or 2 of this thread, still seems to be offering the most bang for the buck, while offering the features I want for aluminum work.

Here's a vid of a guy welding aluminum coke cans.

Haven't measured the thickness of a coke can, but it's quite a bit thinner than the 1/16" material on the frame or the .016 that I'll be using for body skins.

Edited by Ognib

The top of the fender is in such constant change of shape as it moves, I added a few more lines to my grid to more closely monitor the shape as it's transferred to the bucks.

Laid out a center line, making sure the fender will fit in the area of the buck & marked the references for the grid lines.

All of my cross templates are drawn but not cut & fitted yet.

Anticipating beginning to shape the buck, because I'm really wanting to start bending some metal & getting a feel for how this is all going to come around.

kit28_zps4cc8573c.jpg

kit29_zpsb8e37c2e.jpg

kit30_zps64fa5a38.jpg

Thanks, Ira, I appreciate that.

Tonights the monthly kc slammers meeting, so think I'll cruise on up & hang with them for a couple of hours.

Taking a couple of things for the show & tell portion of the evening.

Should be a good time. :)

Edited by Ognib

Perhaps a little premature, but I'm thinking about the flathead engine for this.

With the pains I'm taking to make the frame & body "spot on", I know myself well enough to admit to myself that I'm going to have to go max effort on it.

After viewing the engines of a couple of builders on this site & elsewhere, I have no choice but to begin to plan for a lathe & mill for my shop & an education so that I can effectively & intellegently use them.

...stuff like how to produce a perfect 1:8 scale stromberg 97 or rather 3 of them, etc.

Edited by Ognib

Last night at the club meeting, the same guy who sold me my kit I"m using for reference, brought this & told me to take it for taking templates.

Sooo, I may be back to building a coupe...very nice detail around the windows, etc.

Thanks, Eric, very cool of you! B)

kit32_zps53bafb21.jpg

kit33_zps0dd58609.jpg

kit34_zps977cd781.jpg

Thanks, Mike.

You may be right about the mad part.

My wife seems to think so as well.

Bill Davis turned me on to this page.

Videos of seminars at GSL from several different years.

http://www.gslchampionship.org/Library/library.html

Since I'm scratch building in a large scale, this one is of particular interest to me.

He deals with conceptualizing, planning, initating & following through on a scratch built project.

It was encouraging to me to realize that my thought process has been similar to the way he approaches things.

http://archive.org/details/scratchbuildingInLargeScaleByDaveCummins

Edited by Ognib

This represents what I want on this build for wheels/tires.

Want to build them out of metal to follow through with the materials used on the rest of the project.

I've searched every modeling forum I can find & google for info on scale wires in metal with not much success.

If anyone has a link to info/vids on this I would be most appreciative.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64878&hl=%2Bwire+%2Bwheels

Edited by Ognib

This represents what I want on this build for wheels/tires.

Want to build them out of metal to follow through with the materials used on the rest of the project.

I've searched every modeling forum I can find & google for info on scale wires in metal with not much success.

If anyone has a link to info/vids on this I would be most appreciative.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64878&hl=%2Bwire+%2Bwheels

kennb here on the forum has a tutorial in the tips section on how to build and use a lacing jig to make your own wire wheels. His results look great. Might be something you can use.