Model Cars Magazine Forum

Caravan? They made a kit of that?

Faust

Yeah, it was the Voyager here, too, at some point. We had so many names and variants for these things. Caravan, Magic Wagon, Voyager, Town and Country... all boiled down to the same thing; a box with wheels. It reminds me of a UH-1 Huey but with the rotors replaced with wheels. Simply a tinplate box for going place to place.

That's a bizarre story, though Ridgeback; I would have thought the PM would have had a British marque for his car. Also, a 0/5 is AWESOME! Great family hauler! OMG... :o

Edited by Faust

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

That's too bad... I take it your friend drove one?

That's one reason I'm looking forward to this one. I've ridden in and test driven these things, so it'll be a rush to build one.

If only they did a kit of the earlier, squarer ones. Did anyone ever do that?

That's too bad... I take it your friend drove one?

That's one reason I'm looking forward to this one. I've ridden in and test driven these things, so it'll be a rush to build one.

If only they did a kit of the earlier, squarer ones. Did anyone ever do that?

Brookfield made a diecast bank around 1/25th of one from around 1992 or so. Don't think there was ever one in styrene.

mGNGRjPEKKRsDjJyCptotQg.jpg

Edited by Rob Hall

Love the Lindberg Caravan. Built a real nice one. Used real window tinting film to tint the rear windows. Looked at the kit again recently. Somehow lost the outside mirrors. Anybody out there have a spare set they are not going to use?

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

I really like this kit, but so far it's all been "outside-looking-in"... I've never built one but I've seen them out of the box and I just fell in love with the detail in the interior molding. This one needs some opening doors but I have no Idea how one would make a slider

I've had friends who have worked out of these vehicles and I'd love to try some of them: A catering business, with an appropriate lettering job and a huge wedding cake in back, a heating and air-conditioning business, with an appropriate lettering job and tools, hoses and some flexi-vent ducting (made from bendable drinking straws, maybe?)

I really have a hard time understanding how this kit didn't fly off the shelf, back in the day... I'm on ebay as we speak to find myself one or six :D

Thanks for the review, Adam

Chuck

• 1 month later...

I don't know myself how you'd build a slider for the doors on this one. Doing a cargo version would be tough, too, because the interior bucket is all one piece. Of course, with a bit of imagination, some measuring and some cutting, I'm sure it's doable!

I'm tempted to get another one because these were used as "Blue and White" (AboutTown, at the time) brand taxis around London, Ontario (where Iive) for quite some time. Of course, they were also used for Black and Yellow taxis, too.

This is one of those kits that should be reissued, I think, to celebrate the anniversary of the Caravan. I'm not surprised that they didn't fly off the shelves the first time, either. I mean, most people seem to want to build muscle cars and customs; a plain-jane grocery getter isn't really going to turn them on. However, it's a neat kit of a real trendsetter, and I think that's why a lot of people here, who appreciate cars and modelling more deeply, think it's so cool.

Edited by Faust

• 2 years later...

Brookfield made a diecast bank around 1/25th of one from around 1992 or so. Don't think there was ever one in styrene.

Oh man, that's awesome! I asked my Brother and he has one! Man, I wish they were more common! 

I'm surprised MPC didn't do a first generation Voyager/Magic Wagon; the lame '80s customs almost write themselves!