Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newly reissued Revell BRE Datsun 510 Racecar kit

I was very surprised to see this appear this morning as I'm finishing a BRE 510 that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago. I have really enjoyed this build with only one real big issue. Mine is the 1973 kit and if any of you have ever tried working with 45 year old decals then you know what I mean. I'd soak the decal and wipe the brown funk off of the paper and the top side of the decal. The hard part was getting what looks like brown mud out from under the decal. I would double the decal back over its self and use a paint brush to remove what I could and then flip it the other way to get the rest. The decals have stayed together with no problems there but they don't want to lay down flat. The larger door numbers want to look like crape paper. I have used Solvaset and that seems to soften them enough that they start to lay down and as they dried they are turning out pretty well. I have sprayed clear over the whole body mostly to protect the decals but there is still a visible edge showing. Not to hurt any ones feelings but I only paid $9 for it still in the plastic wrap.   

2 hours ago, espo said:

I was very surprised to see this appear this morning as I'm finishing a BRE 510 that I bought at a swap meet a few years ago. I have really enjoyed this build with only one real big issue. Mine is the 1973 kit and if any of you have ever tried working with 45 year old decals then you know what I mean. I'd soak the decal and wipe the brown funk off of the paper and the top side of the decal. The hard part was getting what looks like brown mud out from under the decal. I would double the decal back over its self and use a paint brush to remove what I could and then flip it the other way to get the rest. The decals have stayed together with no problems there but they don't want to lay down flat. The larger door numbers want to look like crape paper. I have used Solvaset and that seems to soften them enough that they start to lay down and as they dried they are turning out pretty well. I have sprayed clear over the whole body mostly to protect the decals but there is still a visible edge showing. Not to hurt any ones feelings but I only paid $9 for it still in the plastic wrap.   

Yeah, that adhesive turns yellow over time and it turns in a gunk when you finally do use the decals. I used the ones out of a 90's re-issue and had the same problems. 

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but this morning at Walmart I saw a M2 diecast Datsun 510. Black. I'm certainly no expert on this things but it looked pretty good to me--kinda cute. I didn't have a ton of extra money today so I didn't get one, but might down the road. 

30 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but this morning at Walmart I saw a M2 diecast Datsun 510. Black. I'm certainly no expert on this things but it looked pretty good to me--kinda cute. I didn't have a ton of extra money today so I didn't get one, but might down the road. 

Thanks, I'll have to go look. Maybe my wife will give an advance on my allowance.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2018 at 12:40 PM, Snake45 said:

Today they had a couple black ones, and a couple in bright yellow with black hood. And if they were in the right spot on the shelf, the price was $16.97. Not bad at all. 

22 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Today they had a couple black ones, and a couple in bright yellow with black hood. And if they were in the right spot on the shelf, the price was $16.97. Not bad at all. 

Been checking locally and the "You All Marts" here aren't caring them.