Model Cars Magazine Forum

1939 MG TA-Q scratch built,of course

kennb

Yes,,,,another MG..............this time it is one of 8 made in 1939....................it has the TA chasis and a 4 cylinder motor but ws set up for racing...............it is a sharp car...This time I have the wheels done, almost and started the engine. It is a little more detailed than what I have been doing but I am trying to improve the models that I am making and feel this is a step towards that end. Each build you explore need territory with the skills you gained on the last one...I can go ahead and make more jsut the way I have been but then What is the point,that game is over ,now onto new explorations.

B)

DSCN4149_zps535fd6ab.jpg

DSCN4148_zps06d0908b.jpg

As you can tell I do have a lot of finishsnading to do but for now this is getting close to having a decent and correct motor, was able to get a lot of additional information to make this possible. -_-

Kenn :)

Setting up the chassis,,,,note the pattern taped to the desktop with top and front veiw to set up front axel.

DSCN4171_zps3e9a6d54.jpg

DSCN4170_zps1c5ba530.jpg

I will be posting only information different from the K3 build since they are very similar until you get to the body..

Note that I detailed engine (previous post) a lot differently with a lot more of the actual details and shape. Most will probaly not be seen unless you get inside the engine compartment... :lol: I use the patterns that I have down to set the engine up and other parts of the chassis as you can see....cross members and the chassis is ready to roll. :P

thanks for looking and hope you follow this build too.

the main body is now almost roughed out and I have the brake drums and backer plates assembled but no details on them yet. I have one more wire to lace but it seems krazy glue does not work like super glue.....the krazy glue has a long set up time and I ruined one laced wire by not thinking about that. It felt dry and reacted right but any pressure made it let loose. Wire glue, and plastic mess........................... :o

DSCN4178_zps51142491.jpg

Being an ex-Brit, I'm following your builds with a special interest. These MG's that you are modelling, were around in fair numbers when I was growing up in the forties and fifties. Little did I realise how desirable they would be in the future!

Great work.... keep it up!

Tony

Thanks to all those commenting and looking..........it has been a slow day for me but will post a few more piccys tonight,

Cato. I show how to build the tires and the lacing of the wires here.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71724

I am going through an entire build and challenge there on the 1933 MG K3. The tires were the first section. If you have any further questions or need clearification pllease let me know and I will post more information on them..I have over 100 photos of the tire and wire build to work with.

Thanks for the question,,,

Kenn

I have been thinking of the colour to paint this buggy.I have seen them in black,,British racing green, bright blue, deep red, and polished aluminium. The bodies are aluminium and reproductions are available,hence more of the Q series today than were ever built. The origionals are very rare but reprops are common, so finding information on the real ones is not easy. Anyway,,,,,,I am torm between deeper red and polished aluminium like in the picture below.

DSCN4184_zpse50d1004.jpg

The only problem with this is it takes 2 to 3 weeks to set up properly after painting. The deep red would be like on the 32 Chebby coupe' that I am working on.

Thanks for the comments and following along with me on this adventure, which is turning out to take longer than I origionally figured....whats new. :lol:

Thanks for commenting,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it is nice to knwo someone is watching............. :)

Back on the Q while paint is drying.....please note I posted section 4,,,the chassis on the challenge for the K3.

I have the hood done and louvered now on this one...... :P

DSCN4237_zps978cbb5b.jpg

Need to strt roughing out the interior now.................. B)

Kenn :rolleyes: