Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a trailer that I'm building for the local hospital. Many people are intimidated by the very mention of MRI, but when faced with the trailer, that intimidation increases. The hospital will be using this model to show people what they will see when they enter it, and then to be able to explain what will transpire during their trip. The hope is that they might be put more at ease if they know what to expect. I consider it an honor to be able to build this for them.

MRItrailer-1.jpg

This is the exterior of the trailer I'm building.

MRItrailer-2.jpg

The bed and MRI unit.

MRIface-1A.jpg

Closeup of the modeled MRI unit face.

MRItrailerexterior-1.jpg

The walls, top, & floor roughed

Because of the way that the trailer is positioned, I wasn't able to get under it to see the suspension. The model that I'm building will be in a case, but will still get jostled some, so I'm cheating on the suspension, and building rigid mounting. If I was going for accuracy, I'd do more research, and build a proper suspension. For tires and wheels, I'll be using the gray "bud" wheels from an Italeri or ROG (I can't remember at the moment which produced it) Pete Alaskan Hauler kit. That kit came with a choice of "chrome plated" or molded gray plastic wheels. They're very close to what's on the trailer I'm modeling.

I have no idea why people are intimated by an MRI. I had a ruptured disc and had gotten an MRI. No problem. Unusual subject. Keep us posted.

That's because you are a Super Man! :P;) And, quite possibly, don't understand that other people can feel differently than you... Let me enlighten you, My Friend.

Some people have this nasty little disorder called Claustrophobia (myself included) and the tight interior of an MRI or CT machine can be a frightening, very unnerving place. If I can't turn around in the area, or have the room to move my hand or arm over my head, or if the surface of the enclosure is inches from my face, it's too tight and SEVERE anxiety and low-mid level panic kick in, most times, uncontrolably. It's a basic Fight or Flight reaction. If the person in question is overweight like I am, the situation is even worse. At 260lbs, They almost have to shoehorn me into it. My shoulders are so wide, (56") I have to go in with one arm over my head, I don't fit otherwise. FYI, I've had three MRI's and 5 CT scans in the last three years... they do get easier and I can overcome my fears fairly easily but... they are still anxiety raising experiences.

Onto the model... Sorry for drifting off target... Douglas, I've considered building one of these myself, I'm glad to see you stepping up and taking the reigns. I like what's been done, so far. I'll be watching this one, closely! This will also be a good tutorial on how to build your basic dropdeck van...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

MRItrailerentry-4_zpsae440234.jpg

The steps and elevator ready for the outside, and a portable monitor fresh from the paintbooth.

MRItrailerfinal-4_zpscbc69fae.jpg

Checking out positioning for the steps and elevator. The elevator will be displayed in the lowered position so as to not block the interior view. Final positioning will wait until it enters the display case.

When my mother had one, the hospital is so small they used one like this.

But not on a semi-permanent pad like the one pictured.

It travels around the state, so only parks just outside the Emergency Room.

Semi cab was still attached too I think. It was a few years ago