Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bomber Service '50s gas station

mk11

Here's a couple of old pics from my collection to maybe inspire a new project...

bomberservice2.jpg

bomberservicetexaco1.jpg

This old Lancaster was rolled across the fields from a nearby air force base to the highway south of Red Deer Alberta just after the war to form the attraction for a gas station. There were several places in the US with a similar style.

mike

Mike , I'm not sure how many pictures you may have of this place . It's been discussed several times on the gasoline station forums . I have scattered pictures from several different eras in my collection. Do you know what year you might wish to present this place in ?

I've only seen these two pics of the station, Ed. If I went ahead on it, it would be early fifties. That's about how long it lasted as some American concern apparently bought it and installed four new engines. On final prep it caught fire and melted the center fuselage. Enough to make a grown man cry.

mike

Ken Hamilton did this station at one time . Being as I'm no airplane person, I don't know what plane was used . I see you posted that you wanted to do the station as though it were in the fifties . The building under the plane changed EVER so slightly over time . So to , the pumps changed . I think at first, , some A . O Smith dispensers were used . I know that Tokiem Explorers were used by about 1959.