Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Many Kits Make a Good Stash?

Enough.

More than enough is too many.

Not enough is too few.

Enough is just right.

But remember ~ ~ My enough may not be enough for you.

Your enough may not be enough for me.

Or, my enough may be more than enough for you.

And, my enough may not be near enough for you.

But's that's enough of trying to figure it out.

So, enough!

B)

Edited by Danno

Enough.

Not enough is too few.

Enough is just right.

So, enough!

B)

A good stash in big enough so that you complete the last one, you drop dead in your modeling chair. Any less is not enough and any more is a waste.

:D :D :D

Yeah...what they said.

Charlie Larkin

Enough.

Not enough is too few.

Enough is just right.

So, enough!

B)

Ohh that gave me headache :lol::P

I dont have a stash, I cant seem to grow one very well, ohh wait wrong stash we are talking about :lol: , I dont have one of those either :( , I think I have 15 maybe 20 unbuilt kits right now

I have 18 unbuilt kits, soon to be 17, I need to start another for August's club theme

Here is what mine looks like, minus one that I pulled out to start working on, the viper kit was a kit bash , so only the body and few other things are in the box

S7303333.jpg

Edited by martinfan5

I have 18 unbuilt kits, soon to be 17, I need to start another for August's club theme

Here is what mine looks like, minus one that I pulled out to start working on, the viper kit was a kit bash , so only the body and few other things are in the box

S7303333.jpg

I want that Hummer. Hard to track down.

Your always going to have those impulse buys when you have a coupon, or clearance kits. When you have to pay shipping then thats a diffent story. kits are a better investment then other things...

I beg do differ. 90% of my stash came from Ebay. I have a weakness for OOP kits.

Out of all the kits I have, the three NASCAR kits, the two hummer kits, and the 70 ford police car were bought here in town at one of the swap meets. So I guess 98% is a little high, but I only buy local at one of the swap meets which happens three times a year

Add one more kit, I have a kit of the Titanic

Edited by martinfan5

Glad this topic was started , I seem to have issues lately more then normal :) I have been back in this hobby less then a

year after 25 + years away from it . And already have 30 + unbuilt kits . I have never collected anything

in my life till now . So let's see 30 kits average 20 bucks , 600 bucks of kits sitting , goes against every rule of finance

in my book . That being said I have decided to do as Jim already said , no more till I build some of what I own . Before anyone

wants to give me a flogging for this ( each to there own ! ) Just because I can afford it doesn't make it good financial sense .

Now to the question Slusher asked . It can't be answered , people buy kits for different reasons ,

some for projects they will build , some for the kit they always wanted . And some just because

they can . Can't see any formula to figure this out .

edited because of typos !

Edited by heatride

IM probly sitting around 500 unbuilt kits and another 100 or so started projects/ bought builtups that are for re-doing. im bad for buying a case or 2 of kits that I like, the new revell 2010 Camaro, and Lowrider cadillac, etc.

Here's the formula for how many NIB or otherwise unbuilt (or rebuildable) kits one needs...N + 1 = Y,with "N" being the current number of kits presently in your stash already,and "Y" being the number of kits your stash needs to be complete. I short,regardless of how many kits you have,you always need one more. You can tell your wife that Olkoolrodder said so,and it's ok,he's a professional (notice I didn't say professional "what" :P ),and after she stops yelling or laughing (depending on her disposition),don't feel too badly,it didn't work on my wife neither :lol:

Seriously,though... had a several hundred kit stash before we had a house fire last year-while that was probably (most assuredly,actually) more kits than I'd ever build,it's hard to not buy something when you see it,knowing you'd enjoy building it because if you don't get it,sooner or later (assuming you still want it) you'll end up having issue finding a copy,and then pay too much for it on eBay or similiar. Also,I like to have a few extra kits laying around because one never knows when brother-in-plastic will have life jump up and bite em hard (like our fire last year),and I like to be able to help out (I can say with much admiration and appreciation that model building internet friends went way above friendship when we lost everything,sending anything frm money to help cover motel expenses,to clothing for us and the kids,and once settled later,lots of kits and supplies to build them with),besides that there's always more tha one way to build any given kit,and parts in every new kit box that would be just perfect for that other project.....

There has to be a fine line somewhere though,or oe could wind up overflowing their space to store,or even become obssessive with "the hunt" for the next kit buy I can't say what that line would be for ANYone (even myself,it seems :P ). Some people are perfectly happy owning one or two,including current WIP's,some people get their joy looking at a vast collection just waiting to be built,it's really a personal call. Does one HAVE TO HAVE the latest kits coming out (or that elusive hard to find NIB classic) sitting in their stash to be happy or a part of the community? No,but it can be fun to do so and there's nothing wrong with that either,IMHO.

well, what is the definition of "stash". there are very few kits i build straight out of the box. for instance, i have at least 20 or so of the pro mod cars, as soon as i get them, the body goes here, all the chassis goes here, decals and engine over here..... so, if you are looking at just boxed kits, maybe 150, if i sort out all my parts...... over 200. to me, thats enough.

also, i am not a collector, nor do i turn kits over for profit, i plan on building every one. if i collected........ forget about it!

so fellow modelers, on a side bar, how many in your stash do you have no real intensions on building?

I only have about 10 or 15 kits at the moment. I have hundreds of models that I want to build but the kits get expensive and I have other things to spend money on. Most of that goes to my actual car, the "money pit".

Edited by 91blaze