Model Cars Magazine Forum

Contest Car for '09 - PAINTED TODAY

E St. Kruiser50

Hi all :lol:

Well, I haven't done contests for several years here locally, but won a couple of nice awards this last month pretty much accidentally at our last two club meetings.

Kinda got me fired up and the ol' juices flowin' :rolleyes:, for competing again in the area events, and down in Eugene, 100 miles away.

I've always loved competing, starting from back in the late 50's. Not so much about winning, but just the whole "Expectation" thing and being part of the event.

I've never built a theme car before, but our next NNL has the theme of 60's cars which is perfect for a project I wanted to build.

The other event is a challange contest, between two local clubs, ours, SABA, and the Eugene club, LAMA. This is our third "Challange" contest. We meet at a Pizza place half way between the two clubs, eat, tell lie's and show off our stuff - way fun :lol: .

I'll be building a car for each event.

Never built a Chrysler product before in all the years of my building, so I decided this was a good time to "Jump in" ;) .

This is the latest '69 Charger release.

I've always liked the funny car look - Kinda "Wedgy" and "Edgy", and I've wanted to try to do something for the street with that look, and throw in some Pro-Street/Pro-Touring touches, for a muscular "Beefy" look, right off the track - "almost illegal for the street" look, but not look like a JADA die-cast.

The body will actually be pretty stock except for the exagerated "Skirts".

Kinda how I'd build this in 1 to 1 if it were mine.

Here's a couple of shot's of my first "Dodge attempt".

2009_0113Photobucket10048.jpg

2009_0113Photobucket10047.jpg

Edited by Treehugger Dave

hi dave !

your charger gets a very aggressive look - great !!!

i built the 69 charger too, but in a not so aggressive look;-)

how do you made the chrome frames about the rear lights?

greets jürgen

Hi 'jurgen'

Good to hear from you :lol:

The rear panel is actually from a parted-out die cast '68 R/T, and came from the ol' parts box. It fit perfectly and has chrome around the outside of the panel too. Much nicer than the kit part.

Forgot to mention in the first post that I used a '71 Cuda hood with the "Shaker" scoop.

It'll have "Cuda Style Hemi Graphics" on the sides, to continue the agressive look with other decal badging to help support the look I want.

The hood will be hinged, and the "Yes It Has A Hemi", will be detailed "As Stock" with black valve covers and so on.

Later my friend - dave :D

Dave, you ALREADY know I'm a fan of yours. PERSONALLY, I don't think the lines of the 69 Charger CAN be improved on, BUT, I wasn't counting on YOU! Now that your here, I'm gettin excited on your take on it! Yep, Those are some of the BEST styles to come outta Deeetroit in a LOOOONNNGGGG time, and NEVER to be repeated. Your look on things should work out PURTY NICE! Can't wait to see more!!! :lol:

Dave, you ALREADY know I'm a fan of yours. PERSONALLY, I don't think the lines of the 69 Charger CAN be improved on, BUT, I wasn't counting on YOU! Now that your here, I'm gettin excited on your take on it! Yep, Those are some of the BEST styles to come outta Deeetroit in a LOOOONNNGGGG time, and NEVER to be repeated. Your look on things should work out PURTY NICE! Can't wait to see more!!! :lol:

Thanks George :lol:

As you know, I grew up in SoCal in the 50's and 60's.

Street cars were outrageous at times back then, much more than now.

I've seen "rails" (Dragster's) and "Flipper's" ( funny Cars ) on the streets in L.A and BERDOO

cruzzin on the week-ends, runnin' on "alcohol" and "nitro" - can't mistake that smell :P - and the sound of 1000 horse Power on the street- OH MY GOSH. Absolutely loved it.

We called um' FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIALS. You could hear them way before you ever saw them. Ear bustin' - Thunder clappin' motor's. They were the high-lite of the week-end.

Incredibly wild. Nothin' else like it.

This'll be a "Mild" sorta throw back and tribute to those bygone day's of "Street Shock And Awe" :D

What a delight to see you returning to competitive building. I only know you through your posts but you have been quite clear about your relative disaffection for contests so I like to think that the MCM community, along with your local club, have had some small hand in "getting the juices flowin'".

The wedge your putting on that Charger looks great. The rear 3/4 view is already killer. Go for it!!! :lol:

Edited by gbk1

Dave, you are slipping up, I don't think that rear wheel is big enough! Well, maybe it is....kidding.....this will be an interesting build, I love the lower body modification so far. I am watching. Enter all of the contests you like, anyway, you are on the left coast, I am on the right coast so have fun terrorizing the northwest contests.

Thanks guy's :rolleyes:

Got one more new project to start for a 3rd annual inter-club challange between our club and a club in Eugene.

Two different cars to choose from - the Revell '32 Sedan, and the Revell '55 Chev.

Takes several kit's for my choice, so I'll pick up the one I ordered through my LHS, and then I can start "Whackin" an "Choppin" on a '55 "Shoo-box Sport Roadster" - Oh Yeah!! :lol:

It'll take several Vette kits for the windshield, some stretchin', and other mods.

Later everyone - dave :D

Thanks George :lol:

As you know, I grew up in SoCal in the 50's and 60's.

Street cars were outrageous at times back then, much more than now.

I've seen "rails" (Dragster's) and "Flipper's" ( funny Cars ) on the streets in L.A and BERDOO

cruzzin on the week-ends, runnin' on "alcohol" and "nitro" - can't mistake that smell :lol: - and the sound of 1000 horse Power on the street- OH MY GOSH. Absolutely loved it.

We called um' FRIDAY NIGHT SPECIALS. You could hear them way before you ever saw them. Ear bustin' - Thunder clappin' motor's. They were the high-lite of the week-end.

Incredibly wild. Nothin' else like it.

This'll be a "Mild" sorta throw back and tribute to those bygone day's of "Street Shock And Awe" :lol:

Oh wow, Dave! That sounds awesome! Wish I coulda seen dat stuffs.........but then I'd be almost 80 now.......... :blink:

My boss at the Amoco I worked at in the early 70s had a cherry 69 Charger that I had the privelege of washing and waxing a few times. Maroon or burgandy with the black vinyl top & interior. He sold it to some cutey from outa town, she brought it back for an oil change, and I trashed a tie rod end trying to get it up on the 2 place lift-- :lol: them torsion bar front ends were murder to try and take up on that lift--slipping and sliding all over the place. She got the grease, oil, & filter........and a front end alignment too!

:P Yours is looking very goodly---them edgy panels are just the trick :lol:

Well I got 'er painted today :D .

Gotta leave it sit over-night before I add the black "HEMI" graphics tomorrow, and then do some clear coating.

Lot's left to do, but nice to get some color on and see how she looks. Fine to me. B)

Anyhow, thought I'd share some pic's as I'll be too busy for the next few days to do anymore posting.

2009_0119Photobucket10012.jpg

2009_0119Photobucket10014.jpg

Looking good man!

Hey- is that a '57 Caddy back there with a Chezoom roof?

I dig it!

-Gary

Thanks Gary ;)

Yeah, that's a Caddy alright.

Hope to get it done sometime soon, along with a few other builds.

Watched the "New Prez" get sworn in today, so didn't get much done. Pretty cool though.

Talk at ya later - dave :)